Community Forum

Internet intermittently drops

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet intermittently drops

My internet intermittently drops - sometimes for up to a few hours.  I purchased my current router/modem about 6 months ago after my old one got fried after a lightning strike.  Tried troubleshooting last time it happened, but didn't really get anywhere with Comcast, other than to schedule a tech to come - which if it's due to my router, I'd have to pay for.  I don't really want to take that gamble, although I don't think it's my router.  I'm wondering if maybe the cable was damaged by the lightning strike as well?  Any other ideas?  I work from home and really need to have reliable internet.  

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Internet intermittently drops

Are you connecting via Wifi or Ethernet? If Wifi, it's best to switch to an Ethernet cable connection if possible for testing. That would allow you to determine whether the problem is the Wifi signal or the link between your equipment and Comcast's network. Network connection problems that affect both Ethernet and Wifi devices are often due to poor coax connections, usually in or near your home.

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts, especially downstream power levels and SNR, upstream power levels, and error log.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Internet intermittently drops

It’s very possible the cable took a lightning strike, follow your cable back to the ground block. Look for either melted jacket or if you take the cable off the splitter or ground block, looked for the cable’s center conductor to be scorched black. If it is the interior cable, that’s also a service charge

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!