Community Forum

Internet dropping randomly

Frequent Visitor

Internet dropping randomly

I purchased a brand new Arris sb6183 modem 2 days ago after my surfboard modem went out after 8 years. I never really had any issues over those 8 years with dropping internet. I have had atleast 2 or 3 occasions where literally the internet just stopped working and the 4 lights on my modem went to two. I did a couple resets by unplugging it and I also checked the splitter to make sure everything was tight and it was. Like I said I haven't had any issues until switching to the new modem. Here are also a bunch of my logs showing the errors I am getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.36.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.36.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.30.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-12 at 10.30.27 AM.png

Expert

Re: Internet dropping randomly

How about the signal stats?

Frequent Visitor

Sorry trying to upload everything and edit them. They should be up now. 

Expert

Ok. A couple of your upstreams are near borderline, have you ever noticed the upstreams go to 50dBVmV or above 50dBmV? Do you have any splitters in before your modem? If so try temporarily bypassing them to see if it clears up.

Frequent Visitor

I can't remember if it has been at or above 50. I don't think it has but I could be wrong. I have one splitter that I know of that leads to my modem and cable box.  What should the levels be at? It just seems odd that I never had any issues until I upgraded my modem. 

Expert

This link can tell you here: Xfinity Internet Connection Troubleshooting Tips

Even though it does say 25-54dBmV for upstream, which it can if it the signal for upstream is clean, I normally operate off of 50 for the max side of it, since locally they use 50 in my area for the max. I recommend anywhere between 35 and 45. So a couple of yours are towards 50 being why I ask.

Frequent Visitor

Ok thanks. What do the errors mean in the event log? 

Expert

If you scroll down a little bit further in that link, there is a definition there (in simpler form). Here is also another link that has some definition as well https://www.dslreports.com/faq/13055 (more technical)

Frequent Visitor

I was wondering if I should change my splitter and run shorter/newer cables from the splitter to my cable box and modem. 

Expert

You could replace the splitter with a new bi-directional 5-1000MHz (1 GHz) rated splitter. Not the gold-colored ones. How do the coax cables look? If they don't look bad, then thry might be fine.

Frequent Visitor

They are older. I don't remember the last time they were changed. Plus they are way longer than needed. Probably atleast 25'-50' each from the splitter to the cable box and to the modem. Could be a little longer even because I had to zip tie them in a bundle because they were so long. 

Frequent Visitor

Would something like this splitter work? If not what would you recommend? https://www.amazon.com/BAMF-2-Way-Splitter-Bi-Directional-5-2300MHz/dp/B0113JAN8K/ref=sr_1_8?s=elect...

Expert

I’m not sure on the loss on that splitter, likely the normal -3.5dB as normal splitters. It should be an on splitter. Do you need the MoCA? If you don’t need it and want to save a few bucks just to get a regular splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007YV0UQW/ref=psdcmw_3224457011_t1_B0113JAN8K
Expert

If you want to get the coax lines shorter, that’s fine as well. I would make sure you give yourself about a foot extra of what you need.
Frequent Visitor

So I bi-passed the splitter and I was getting 43, 43, 45, 43. So I am already on the high end of the spectrum. I changed the one coax cable that was around 20-25' long and dropped my numbers to 46.5, 46.5, 48.5, 46.5. Better and farther from 50. I have a second splitter I tested and got 46.5, 46.5, 48.5, 45. The 4th one was lower which seemed odd. I may just use that one instead. 

Frequent Visitor

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 2.13.07 PM.png

This was after shortening the cable and switching to a different splitter I found. 

Expert

Since you made those changes, I would just reboot it, if you haven't already, and see how it goes.

Frequent Visitor

I unplug it before switching cables and then turn it back on. Will that suffice or what do you mean by reboot? Do I need to do anything to the router? 

Expert

I mean since you rewired the coax, just unplug the modem and the router, plug the modem back in. After the modem comes back online, plug the router back in.

Frequent Visitor

I did just as you said and got a warning in my logs right after reboot. Any idea what it means? Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 2.53.41 PM.png

Expert

I actually do not know, but a Google search turned up this link: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31691948-Signals-Unicast-DSID-PSN-startup-error

According to that link the following was said (direct quote):

It's difficult to define what the error is exactly in laymans terms. Basically it shows some problem with the upstream signal, probably the SNR. Most problems with SNR are caused by ingress leaking into the coaxial line and a bad connection on a coaxial faceplate is a infamous place to get that kind of ingress. If it was the only error in the log, it might be worth to fully research, but since you have other known problems, it makes sense to troubleshoot those first. IMO mental energy is almost as precious as physical energy when it comes to troubleshooting. Don't worry about some cryptic log when you know of an actual problem you need to fix. Only worry about it if it still occurs after fixing the coaxial problem. It's probably better to do it sooner or later, before it get worse and possibly disconnects your service all together

Is there any wall plate between your modem and the splitter?

Frequent Visitor

No wall plate. The lines come through the floor. Everything was fine until I rebooted both of them together. I had rebooted the modem by itself probably 5 or 6 times when changing things around and I didn't get anything in my logs. The internet is working fine though right now and my numbers are all stable. 

Expert

In that case, since it isnt being accompanied by any problems and additonal events in the logs, I would let it go as is, as long as everything is working.

Frequent Visitor

Will do. I will report back if anything funky pops back up. Thank you!

Expert

No problem Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

So I woke up this morning and 3 of my upstream bonded channels were gone. I had 1 out of the 4. My modem which usually has a blue light for the downstream and upstream channels had switched to one blue (for the downstream) and one green for the upstream. I called Arris and they performed a factory reset and now my power levels are kind of all over the place for the upstream channels as opposed to before. They were 46.5, 46.5, 48.5, 46.5 and now they look like this. Any advice on what I should be looking for? I have no idea why everything is fine for half a day or so then it seems to go wonky. Only other thing I can think of is either i got a bad modem or I need to have comcast come out and run a shorter cable to my modem. Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 8.15.45 AM.png

Expert

Would you happen to know how the event log looked during that time?
Frequent Visitor

I don't think there was anything new in the event log. This was after the factory reboot. Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.05.24 AM.png

Frequent Visitor

Comcast is coming out tomorrow. I am going to see if they will check for any splitter issues or cable runs under the house. I have only lived here for a year or so. Maybe the new modem is more sensitive than my old motorolla sb6121. It hardly ever had any issues. 

Expert

Let’s see how things go after the visit but keep in mind, if the problem is found to be in your internal wiring, you will be charged for the visit. If it’s not because of anything inside the home, you shouldn’t be charged for the visit.
Diamond Problem Solver

@BrandonBoss wrote:

I don't think there was anything new in the event log. This was after the factory reboot. 

An FYI. Bear in mind that after a modem is re-booted or reset, the error log entries that follow are worthless. If they say "Time Not Established" or the time / date stamp defaults to 1/1/1970, they are not valid. The entries are only valid after the modem locks with the system and is in Block Sync mode.

Frequent Visitor

The wires come up from the floor and about 2 feet after that they enter the splitter. From the splitter a 5' cable enters the modem and the other 5' cable enters the cable box. I doubt its either of those causing the issue because I have never had issues before like this. I guess we will find out more tomorrow. I should have all 4 upstream bonded channels working right? The guy from Arris said that I should have atleast 2 or 3 but not gauranteed to have all 4 and that its probably a comcast issue. He said only  having 1 is an issue though. Not sure why. Definitely far from understanding how a lot of this stuff even works. 

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

@BrandonBoss wrote:

I don't think there was anything new in the event log. This was after the factory reboot. 

An FYI. Bear in mind that after a modem is re-booted or reset, the error log entries that follow are worthless. If they say "Time Not Established" or the time / date stamp defaults to 1/1/1970, they are not valid. The entries are only valid after the modem locks with the system and is in Block Sync mode.

I don't even understand what that means. I know that after the reset it cleared all the older issues  in the event log prior to the factor reset.  Although I screen shot most of those issues anyways. 

Diamond Problem Solver

FYI. A noise ingress problem or any type of return path / upstream channel impairment can cause the un-bonding of the multiple bonded channels.

Frequent Visitor

I know that awhile ago they said my house was causing noise issues or something like that but I never had any issues so they left it as is.  Now ever since I switched to a brand new modem I have been having odd issues. Maybe the old modem was less sensitive to the noise or whatever is coming through the lines compared to the new one. Old one was a motorolla sb6121 new one is an Arris SB6183. 

Diamond Problem Solver

@BrandonBoss wrote:

Maybe the old modem was less sensitive to the noise or whatever is coming through the lines compared to the new one. 

That is a known fact. Some models of modems / chipsets are more critical of less than stellar signal / line / connection quality conditions compared to other makes / models.

Frequent Visitor

Well I just dropped 3 of my upstream bonded channels again and my power levels are way higher now and out of the acceptable range. I also have new event log errors: Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 11.42.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-13 at 11.42.40 AM.png

Frequent Visitor

I switched the splitter yesterday and just went back to the old one. Narrowing it down to see if that could possibly be part of the problem. I must have something wrong with signal though. The numbers rose after my earlier post today again on the upstream power until I lost 3 channels out of the 4. 

Frequent Visitor

after reboot with old splitter. I have a feeling they will get higher again until I lose 3 of them again. Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 11.52.29 AM.png

Frequent Visitor

Tech came out today. Switched the 4 way splitter at the line and then switched me over to an upgraded cable. I guess the one that was running to my modem was the old style that allows interuptions because it doesn't have the protections on the outside of the wire. Hoping that I am done having issues. 

Expert

Just for giggles, how does everything look now?