Community Forum

Internet dropping out several times a day

Frequent Visitor

Internet dropping out several times a day

I have a SB8200 modem that is one splitter off the main input cable from Comcast. The splitter has been replaced twice. The Comcast techs have been here twice in the last week. But the internet keeps dropping out several times a day. See my modems logs attached.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet dropping out several times a day

More log files from modem
Frequent Visitor

Another log file from modem
Expert

The upstream power is borderline /  high on channel number 1 and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input to my problem.

The Comcast tech had installed a 6db attenuator on the cable. I removed the attenuator and captured the modem status. See attached file.
Frequent Visitor

Attached file
Expert

Looking good ! The bottom line now is to live with it for a while and see if the issue returns. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for your reply to my problem.
Expert

Quite welcome ! Please post back with how things go.

Frequent Visitor

Well not looking real good. In the last 12 hours the internet has dropped 6 times that I was able to catch. I am using the SB8200 logs to determine a dropout. Modem reboot because off too many timeouts.
Expert

What are the signal stat figures looking like now ?

Frequent Visitor

I cleaned the connections from the Comcast drop out by the street to the modem this morning. Since then there has not been a dropout. See updated modem log.
Expert

O/k. Hope it holds up for you.

Frequent Visitor

I noticed the power levels increased. Are the power levels better?
Expert

They're about the same as your prior post.