Community Forum

Internet download speed decreased on one device after period of inactivity

Frequent Visitor

Internet download speed decreased on one device after period of inactivity

I recently upgraded my Xfinity internet plan and was very happy with both the download and upload speed increases observed following the change.  Unfortunately, after a period of inactivity, my primary Windows 10 laptops internet download speed dropped dramatically to less than half of what I had observed before I walked away from my pc. 

My primary laptop is directly connected via ethernet but I also determined that the slowdown was also evident when it was connected through WiFi.  Strangely, my other network-connected devices did not experience any decrease in download speeds including another Windows 10 laptop that I had swapped out in order to troubleshoot the problem. This led me to the conclusion that the problem was isolated to my primary laptop.  Gratefully, I also determined that I could regain full internet download speed by rebooting the laptop.

This made me wonder whether there might be a possibility that there was some Windows or device setting that was timing out.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything that made any difference.  

The following are some of the other things that I looked into or tried:

1.  Conducted speed tests using multiple browsers and test sites. (Same results).

2. Checked and updated all network related drivers, (No change)

3. Reset the Comcast modem/router multiple times.

4. Checked the connections on the router to make sure they were secure.

The result of this troubleshooting led me to the following conclusions;  that the issue is specific to one device and affects both Ethernet and WiFi connections.  The problem does not appear to be related to which Web browser or speed test site that I use.  And, It also does not appear to be a Windows 10 related issue because the problem does not happen with my other Win 10 laptop which has the same updates as the laptop which does have the problem. 

I am now at a loss as to what to try next.  I have done multiple Web searches for these symptoms but have not found any items that exactly match my experience.  I am not losing the internet connection altogether after a period of inactivity which is a commonly cited problem. Instead, I see a major decrease in internet download speeds. Rebooting my pc is not the worst workaround but it is aggravating and interrupts my workflow. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should try next?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Internet download speed decreased on one device after period of inactivity

@klickitatdave wrote:

I recently upgraded my Xfinity internet plan and was very happy with both the download and upload speed increases observed following the change.  Unfortunately, after a period of inactivity, my primary Windows 10 laptops internet download speed dropped dramatically to less than half of what I had observed before I walked away from my pc. 

My primary laptop is directly connected via ethernet but I also determined that the slowdown was also evident when it was connected through WiFi.  Strangely, my other network-connected devices did not experience any decrease in download speeds including another Windows 10 laptop that I had swapped out in order to troubleshoot the problem. This led me to the conclusion that the problem was isolated to my primary laptop.  Gratefully, I also determined that I could regain full internet download speed by rebooting the laptop.

This made me wonder whether there might be a possibility that there was some Windows or device setting that was timing out.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything that made any difference.  

The following are some of the other things that I looked into or tried:

1.  Conducted speed tests using multiple browsers and test sites. (Same results).

2. Checked and updated all network related drivers, (No change)

3. Reset the Comcast modem/router multiple times.

4. Checked the connections on the router to make sure they were secure.

The result of this troubleshooting led me to the following conclusions;  that the issue is specific to one device and affects both Ethernet and WiFi connections.  The problem does not appear to be related to which Web browser or speed test site that I use.  And, It also does not appear to be a Windows 10 related issue because the problem does not happen with my other Win 10 laptop which has the same updates as the laptop which does have the problem. 

I am now at a loss as to what to try next.  I have done multiple Web searches for these symptoms but have not found any items that exactly match my experience.  I am not losing the internet connection altogether after a period of inactivity which is a commonly cited problem. Instead, I see a major decrease in internet download speeds. Rebooting my pc is not the worst workaround but it is aggravating and interrupts my workflow. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should try next?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Any chance your Win10 computer is using its built-in wifi connection rather than the ethernet connection?  I have had that happen to me.  Check the Internet icon in the Win10 System Tray.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I only wish it were that simple of a solution but thank you for offering the suggestion because it is just the thing that can happen especially after major Win 10 updates.  The problem happens both when I switch over to WiFi and when I am using ethernet to connect.  Oddly, it does not occur if there is no period of inactivity.  I have tried to isolate the source of the problem and have come up short so far.  The only difference that I can see is that the problematic laptop is an MSI model and the other laptop with a mostly identical OS is a Lenovo.  Maybe the issue lies with the WiFi or Ethernet controllers in the MSI or some bit of bloatware that throttles the networking system.  I'm not sure why MSI would do that but who knows.  It is another avenue to explore.  Again thank you for your post.  It has helped me realign my thinking about the problem which can only help.

Expert

Check the running processes and check for viruses / malware.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for responding to my query.  I have Bitdefender Total Security as my primary antivirus and firewall program and I also have Malwarebytes (paid version) as a backup.  I am borderline paranoid when it comes to the security of my system and some of my acquaintances have commented that I am probably crossing over to the level of overkill. 

Both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes are set up to monitor for and regularly scan for infections. After the issue with internet download speed came up I did complete scans so I don't believe that my laptop is infected.  However, your response did get me wondering what might be going on with the services that are enabled and also to look at the recent network activity using Win 10's task manager.  Unfortunately, there were no unusual services running and nothing majorly odd as far as network traffic.  I did find that Microsoft Edge, My phone and Cortana were using bandwidth (Presumably phoning home) but not at a level that might affect overall network performance. I think? 

Another thing that I considered was that Win 10 update has a setting where you share your bandwidth with other computers not connected to the local network which presumably is done during periods of inactivity.  I have always turned this off but one of the things that I have observed is that when a major update occurs sometimes settings are changed without your permission.  Unfortunately, this "feature" was still turned off.  

What I am left with is that there does not appear to be any malware/virus infections.  The issue affects both ethernet and WiFi and consistently happens after a period of inactivity.  I am at a loss as to what else I should investigate next.  

Since there is a workaround to the problem, (rebooting the laptop) I am going to let it go for now.  However, if anyone comes up with other ideas that would be much appreciated.

A big thank you to everyone who has attempted to help.

David

Frequent Visitor

For those who responded to my question, thank you.  Unfortunately after exploring all possible sources for my problem there does not appear to be any immediate solution.  The issue persists despite my contacting Xfinity technical support and my looking at every possible variable that I or others have suggested.  Internet download speed continues to degrade over periods of inactivity on this specific device.  I am letting it go for now since there is a workaround which is simply rebooting my laptop.  It is a hassle but it does bring the download speed back up to where it should be.  

Thanks again for the good suggestions.  

Please close the inquiry.

Expert

Thread being closed as per the OP's request.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello klickitatdave, thank you for sharing this information with us here. I will close this post as requested but if you need anything further please don't hesitate to create another post or reach back out to me via PM and I'd be happy to help. Have a good day and thank you for choosing Comcast as your service provider. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Hmmm... I thought that I had closed it already... ?