Community Forum

Internet disconnects repeatedly every afternoon

Frequent Visitor

Internet disconnects repeatedly every afternoon

Had Comcast come out 2 weeks ago to diagnose my connection problems. They replaced some splitters and ran a new cable from the house to the pole outside. I also purchased a new wireless router just in case. Haven't had a single disconnect (wired PC) for about 2 weeks. Suddenly today it's doing the same thing, router and modem both say they are on line, but no internet. It usually comes back up after a few minutes, but today it was down again on and off for several hours. I used to think it had something to do with the heat as it only did it in the summer. Attached are my modem logs. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jim

comcast2.JPG
comcast1.JPG
Expert

Re: Internet disconnects repeatedly every afternoon

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to get the techs out again until they fix it properly.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

The tech replaced a few splitters. I will look into it. What brand is a  good splitter, or where to purchase good ones? Also, what numbers should I look for on upstream power?

Expert

45 or lower for the upstream would be preferred.

Here are some quality brand splitters that Comcast actually uses in different market areas;

Antronix CMC2002H 2-Way Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Antronix-CMC2002H-2-Way-Splitter/dp/B001E4OH1E

Regal 2 WAY 1 GHZ Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/DIG702867-Regal-WAY-GHZ-SPLITTER/dp/B0018BQMUM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

Extreme Broadband BDS102H 2-Way Digital Coax Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-DIGITAL-PERFORMANCE-CABLE-SPLITTER/dp/B007YV0UQW

Holland 2-way horizontal splitter 5-1000 MHz with ground.http://www.3starinc.com/holland_2-way_horizontal_splitter_5-1000_mhz-w-ground.html

Sv-2g 2-way Splitter 5-1000mhz: http://www.amazon.com/Sv-2g-2-way-Splitter-5-1000mhz-Sv2g/dp/B003TH36CK

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Internet was down for 6 hours today. Put in a single splitter, didn't make a difference but results are attached. Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Comcast. They say the problem is the router. Spent 50 minutes on the phone with Linksys. Of course internet comes back up while on hold. Guess I won't touch anything for now and see what happens tomorrow.

comcast3.JPG
Official Employee

Hi there, JimHanus. 

I wanted to touch base with you to ask about how your internet services are right now. 

Did you have any questions? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

It's been up for about 10 days now, so hopefully it will continue without a problem. I cleared the modem Event Log which had quite a bit in it, and there has been no entries at all, so I'm happy about that.

Frequent Visitor

Of course as soon as I mention something there's a problem. Attached is the Event Log since yesterday when I checked. Modem is still connected but this is what the log is showing. Is this correctable or anything to worry about?

comcast4.JPG
Expert

@JimHanus wrote:

Is this correctable or anything to worry about?

Well it's not ideal but the bottom line is, have the disconnections returned, or are you just focusing on the log entries ?

Frequent Visitor

Has not disconnected as far as I know, just no Event Log entries at all for 10 days until this morning.

Expert

Are the power levels and SNR's still in spec, or are they borderline ? Perhaps you should get the techs re-involved until it is fixed properly as I stated earlier..

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

Frequent Visitor

curious, what tier of internet do you have?

Frequent Visitor

Don't know. Are those Event Logs anything to be concerned with?

Frequent Visitor

Did a speed test. 175Mbps and 12Mbps.

Official Employee

Hey JimHanus, just checking in. Are you still seeing the disconnects? Let me know. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.