Community Forum

Internet cuts out every day between 2:00pm and 2:30pm

Frequent Visitor

Internet cuts out every day between 2:00pm and 2:30pm

Our internet has been cutting out for at least a month now. At first we weren’t too aware of it as we weren’t always online doing something when it happened. I couple weeks ago I started to notice it was pretty consistent between 2:00pm and 2:30pm PT. The last week we tracked it every day and sure enough, at some time between 2:00pm and 2:30pm it would cut out and our upstream power levels would spike as high as in the 60’s. Normally it’s around the mid 40’s. Every day over the last 7+ days this has happened. I have also seen the downstream power as high as 9.9. We also get this error over and over again when it happens  until it resolves:

13:13:48 Sat May 11 2019 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

13:13:48 Sat May 11 2019 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation

Here is an image of when it happened yesterday

https://imgur.com/Zz6kqnI

And this is when it happened on 5/5 when I caught it over 60 for the upstream power.

https://imgur.com/a/nWp81EY

It may only go out for 5 minutes or so like it did yesterday or it may be in and out for 20+ minutes before it comes back and is stable enough to use the internet. It seems to be worse M-F than on the weekend for how long it will be out or unstable.

I work from home and when it’s out like that then I can’t work during that time and what’s even worse is when that happens and I’m presenting in a video conference.

I tried calling customer service and the lady I spoke with said the signal levels were fine and rebooted the modem. She then told me she could have a technician come out and if the problem wasn’t in their lines then I would be charged for it. I kept trying to ask her to explain how the signal was fine when it kept cutting out but she just kept interrupting me and restating that she could schedule a tech to come out and I may be charged for it. While I was still trying to get more information from her the internet again became unstable and the call dropped since I use wi-fi calling because the cell signal isn’t very good in the house. I just gave up at that point.

That was when I started doing research and looking at the modem information.  I have rebooted the modem and router, made sure the connections are tight but that still doesn’t help. Since this happens at a relatively specific time of day, usually right around 2:15pm, it leads me to believe that this is not a problem with my modem or router. The modem is a Motorola MB8600. There is a splitter outside on the pole the cable comes to our house on. It is an Extreme brand BDS102H and says 5-1002MHz on it. It looks like compression fittings were used on all the connections. 

Since scheduling to get a tech to come out can’t be precisely done so they are here when it goes out is there some way that someone can monitor the signal/power levels so they can see it happen? I don’t want to have to have them come out and leave without seeing the event happen because they aren’t here at the time it goes on and have to pay for it.

Expert

Re: Internet cuts out every day between 2:00pm and 2:30pm

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response. As already stated since this happens at a particular time of day I don't want to schedule a tech visit without being sure the problem is with something that would be covered so I won't have to pay for the visit. There is a splitter outside on the pole the cable comes to our house on. It is an Extreme brand BDS102H and says 5-1002MHz on it.

Since our TV channels are via the stream app I guess we can remove the splitter and see if that helps. However I'm still stumped as to why it happens consistently every day at approximately the same time. Something is happening during that time of day.

What coupler would you suggest I get that is a good quality and rated for outdoor in direct rain/weather?

Expert

Higher afternoon outdoor temperatures cause more resistance in the lines, thus worsening the signals / connection quality.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

That would make sense to me if it were happening for hours but it's only 5-20minutes or so. I watched the levels right before it disconnected yesterday and the upstream shot up 17dBmV within 2 minutes and went back down to the mid-upper 40's 6 minutes later and was stable again.

Do you have a recommendation for a coupler to use so I can eliminate the splitter or some place I can read about which ones are good quality for outdoor use?

I do appreciate you trying to help, I'm just really frustrated.

Expert

O/k well something intermittent is going on somewhere. You may be better off getting a tech visit to investigate this one. The problem may lie in the neighborhood lines somewhere. Good luck with it.

Official Employee

Hi Logicprobe, I would like to review this further on my side for you. Please send me a private message with your full name to begin.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi Logicprobe,  I haven't heard from you but please reach back out if you still need assistance.

Thank you 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

RE: Internet cuts out every day between 2:00pm and 2:30pm

I posted about this problem in May, but the thread is now locked:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-cuts-out-every-day-between-2-00pm-and-2-30p...

I gave up on the forum because the Customer Expert suggested that I should have a tech come out when I had explicitly said that I am unwilling to do that because the problem is intermittent and I did not want to pay for a tech visit if the problem did not occur when the tech was on site.  I missed the Comcast employee's reply because I'd given up on the forum and was not looking at it by then.  I checked it today, saw the reply, and sent a detailed PM.

I see several recent posts describing the same problem:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-randomly-disconnects-constantly/td-p/324662...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-Connection-Drops/td-p/3244601

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Re-Internet-goes-out-daily-around-3pm/td-p/3242348

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Internet-disconnects-repeatedly-every-afternoon/td-p...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Re-Internet-keeps-cutting-out/td-p/3244497

In my case, the disconnect is very reliable: it happens almost every day between 2:00pm and 2:30pm Pacific time.  There can be several disconnect/reconnect events in a short period of time, but by 3:00pm the connection is usually stable for the rest of the day.

Frequent Visitor

Re: RE: Internet cuts out every day between 2:00pm and 2:30pm

Monday, July 29, 2019 2:10pm PT  -  Internet connection dropped and reconnected

Frequent Visitor

Monday, July 29, 2019, continued...

2:16pm Pacific Time, second disconnect / re-connect event

Frequent Visitor

Only the two disconnects today, Monday July 29:

2:10 PM Pacific Time & 2:16 PM Pacific time

Internet connection was stable all morning up to that point, and remained stable after the second event.  This is the new "normal" for my Internet connection.

A good day is only one or two disconnect events, but on some bad days the Internet has been unusable between 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM, acting like a yo-yo, up and down, up and down.  By 3:00 PM at the latest it has stabilized and is okay for the rest of the day.

I will add to this forum thread every weekday and report how many disconnects occurred and the time of each one.

Frequent Visitor

Internet cut out at 2:30pm Pacific Time today and reconnected immediately.  The connection was stable for the rest of the day.

I was not at my desk between 2:00 and 2:15, so it's possible I missed an earlier event.

Official Employee

Hello Logicprobe, I have responded to your private message.

Thank you 

Official Employee

Hey folks, 

If you're seeing service issues during specific times of the day, there might be some work going on in the area causing it. Let's check it out. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Frequent Visitor

Internet dropped on Thursday 01-Aug-2019 at 2:07 PM PDT

Moments after it happened, the upstream bonded channels looked like this:

Channel Lock Status Channel Type Channel ID Symb. Rate (Ksym/sec) Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV)
   1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 52.3
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 50.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 53.3
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 52.3

A few minutes later, at 2:13 PM, they looked like this:

Channel Lock Status Channel Type Channel ID Symb. Rate (Ksym/sec) Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV)
   1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 52.3
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 52.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 53.3
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 52.3

Disconnect on Friday 02-Aug-2019 at 2:49 PM PDT 

Upstream Bonded Channels

1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 47.8
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 48.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 45.8
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 46.8

A second event at 2:55 PM PDT:

Upstream Bonded Channels

1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 47.3
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 50.8
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 45.3
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 51.3

The power levels at 3:03 PM:

Upstream Bonded Channels

1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 51.3
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 51.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 51.8
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 51.3

Modem event log:  (note that the modem time is not adjusted for Daylight Savings Time)

13:48:53
Fri Aug 2 2019
  Warning (5)   RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:16:f5;CMTS-MAC=2c:31:24:61:8a:af;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
13:48:53
Fri Aug 2 2019
  Warning (5)   Dynamic Range Window violation

Frequent Visitor

The daily disconnect, right on time!

Monday 05-Aug-2019  2:13pm PDT

Note that the modem does not adjust for Daylight Savings Time, so its timestamp is one hour earlier.

13:13:24
Mon Aug 5 2019
  Warning (5)   RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=00:40:36:4f:16:f5;CMTS-MAC=2c:31:24:61:8a:af;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    13:13:24
Mon Aug 5 2019
  Warning (5)   Dynamic Range Window violation

1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 47.8
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 48.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 45.3
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 46.8

Frequent Visitor

Again on 05-Aug-2019 at 4:33PM PDT

No new event log entries.

Upstream bonded channels:

1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 50.3
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 50.8
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 45.8
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 50.3

Upstream bonded channels a few minutes later, at 4:36PM PDT, after the modem reconnected:

1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 30.1 49.8
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 36.5 50.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 17.3 50.3
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 23.7 50.3
Frequent Visitor

No dropped connection for the past three days. The problem appears to have been the power levels on the upstream bonded channels, which Comcast controls.  I would like to thank the Comcast folks who looked into this.  I am especially grateful for this forum and the Comcast employees who monitor it.