Community Forum

Internet constantly dropping connection, performed all relevant troubleshooting on my end.

Frequent Visitor

Internet constantly dropping connection, performed all relevant troubleshooting on my end.

For the last few months, the internet connection drops out for 30 seconds or so. happens at random and sometimes at a fixed time. for example, i get home from work at 12:30 am. i get on my computer and begin to youtube and chat on teamspeak. then it just stops, i see the yellow shield on my network connection (hardwired through router) then within a minute it just comes back up. it does this usually around 1:00 am but also happens throughout the day. my mother is online most of the day and has become fed up with the constant internet connection dropping. she remains connected to the router wirelessly but no internet. other than the wireless the situation is the same on my machine. during the drops i check to see if it my router dropping the connection. nope router still is accessable and has an IP from the modem. due to comcast locking out access to my modem config page once it gets an ip from comcast, i am unable to look at any signal ratios. and checking the numbers during the 30 seconds i can access its config is not helpful as as soon as all channels lock, the config page is no longer accessable. i have tried using the addresses given in other forums and the address given through my router to access the modem, just times out without any page.

Modem is self owned and problems only started after moving to a new state (netgear cmd31t) router is also self owned, have used two (linksys e1200, or a mikrotik hap lite). settings in my home network are good, nothing causing issues through it. and the connection has been extremely unstabe for the last year, with multiple calls and chats to only be told "everything is fine". the connection was perfect in the state i moved from (indiana) and once i moved and hooked everything back up (no setting changed form the other state) have had an extremely unstable connection. constant packet loss, connection drops, and just otherwise poor performance from a service that was solid as a rock in indiana.

the biggest kicker is comcast is the only people to provide internet to my area, and unable to switch to another provider. so i am unfortunately stuck with it. up in indy i had the service for 3 years and never a problem. for the last year here in georgia, nothng but issues. i have had to stop my online gaming (primary use for me) as the connection is extremely unstable. oh and i have tried direct wiring my modem to pc and the same thing happens. also tried using a hardwire to another pc (laptop) same issue. so i have been able to deduce that it is NOT the equipment on my end and as stated due to comcast locking out access to my modem config page i am unable to get any of that information once it has locked all channels, on that note sometimes when the connection drops (not every time) i can see the lights on my modem go dark for channel lock, mostly on the downstream channels. 

have replaced all wires, router has been swapped, unable to provision a different modem on line for troubleshooting due to comcast's inability to provision it. 

i need to see if there is a way for comcast to monitor my connection for a few days or to check my area as it seems that the cable service is so bad my apartment complex is littered with dish network dishes and speaking with my neighbors, the consenus is the tv service was so bad through comcast, dish was the only option. 60$ a month for slow, spotty internet seems outrageous, and with no other services in my area i am unfortunately stuck with comcast so i have to get this resolved. while typing this message the connection has dropped twice. 

while i understand this is a community forum, i need help. i need internet. i need internet that works.

Expert

Re: Internet constantly dropping connection, performed all relevant troubleshooting on my end.

Call 1-800-comcast and ask the rep to look at your 30 day history plot for the modem and to see if all the signal parameters are in the "green"zone. Also ask them to elevate this issue to whatever dept. it takes (usually tier 2) to put your modem on a "watch". Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet constantly dropping connection, performed all relevant troubleshooting on my end.

Hi, I have had similar problems here in Florida, ZIP 33321.  I have new  Arris SB6141 modem as my other was damaged by a lightning strike. Was getting internet drops before this. Couldn't ping the DNS server 75.75.75.75 when it was down.  Tried using DNS 8.8.8.8, but with no difference.As always Modem Lights on front panel shwoed everything to be normal.  Just our two PC's sometimes showed no internet!  So just changed my Router for a new one, everything working fine for last few weeks, then the AT&T crew putting in fiber cut through the Comcast cables yesterday.  So even though the modem reconected to the head end for the last 24 hours I have had intermittent internet service. So now my MagicJack phone is intermittent, SKYPE isintermittent. Comcast has acknowledged the problem. So basically 24 hours of Intenet bouncing up and down. Had important telephone calls cutting out in the middle multiple times. Had no indication that the COMCAST system was flaky. It seems it didn't go down long enough to flag the yellow warning over the Internet icon.  Just so annoying they don't have a way to warn you somehow.  I also connected my PC direct to the Modem, changed the LAN adapter to a fixed IP of 192.168.100.5 and lwith that (no PW or login) you can view the Modem Tech menus via a browser typing in 192.168.100.1. You can see the Modem status and signal levels and check the log for error messages. Note: Don' forgt to reset your adapter settings back to automatic IP when you've finished.  Do this before you reset the modem via a power cycle otherwise the log messages you want to see confrim issues might be lost.   Funny i thought it would be better if everything worked on 192.168.100.x subnet.  That way i culd see the modem without the need to connect directly to it. So I changed the Router IP and DHCP to that subnet, careful to avoid the 192.168.100.x  DHCP range noted in the Modem DHCP page. That didn't work, the Modem just allocated a new IP address and DHCP range of 10.0.1.x.  Interesting to see why the internet drops when the Modem Status and signal levels are good. Looks like a Comcast back office Server or Comcast network to Internet network problem. Now running my internet connection via my T-Mobile android using the FoxFi app. Wish me luck tomorrow when COmcast say it will be fixed.

Expert
Moved:

OP hasn't returned. Posts split out to their own new topics here on this board. 7 month old dead thread now being closed.