Community Forum

Internet connection problems

Frequent Visitor

Internet connection problems

Hello everyone I need some help, when I’m playing on my gaming system (Xbox one) every 5-10 minutes my connection drops for a few seconds then my game continues. If I’m on my phone and search something during this it doesn’t load. It lasts fo 10-20 seconds then goes back to normal. The router says it has internet connection to it during these times. I just got a brand new line coming to my house and a new router a couple months ago. Need help! Thank you!
Expert

Re: Internet connection problems

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#M94474

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/m...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Internet problems

Hello everyone I need some help, when I’m playing on my gaming system (Xbox one) every 5-10 minutes my connection drops for a few seconds then my game continues. If I’m on my phone and search something during this it doesn’t load. It lasts fo 10-20 seconds then goes back to normal. The router says it has internet connection to it during these times. I just got a brand new line coming to my house and a new router a couple months ago. Need help! Thank you!

The lights on my router stay normal. Here are my signal levels.

I had a tech come out and he said that it’s my router I don’t want to buy a new router/modem combo when
I have a brand new router
Netgear nighthawk
Ac1900 thank you
CFE5A53D-ACFB-4541-89AC-63108E5D56E6.png
Frequent Visitor

I reposted following his instructions. Thank you
Expert

The upstream power is borderline / high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I have had a tech visit and said he doesn’t know what the issue is and left. Even though I have a new modem could it go back within 5 months of owning it?
Frequent Visitor

Now it’s up to 54 back to what it was 3 months ago. When I had a new line coming to my house it was at 38db. What could be going on.
I have a brand new modem/router combo and a new line coming to my house.
C2830B2F-275D-4C79-A5DA-84E6A435B8BB.png
Frequent Visitor

This is what it was now back up to 54 what it was 3 months ago
798FD4D5-DCB9-4E5A-95A2-4654C819BB93.png
Expert

There may be a line amplifier's AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit malfunctioning somewhere or some other type of hardware malfunction in the neighborhood plant / infrastructure. 

I'm going to try escalating your ongoing issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to the forums. You should expect a reply here in your topic.

Frequent Visitor

Looks like it was the actual tap behind my house had guys come look at it and now my power level has dropped back down to 46-47.
Expert

Happy surfing !!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the help
Expert

Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Welp after using the internet for the past couple hours the issue still occurs. Power levels still say 47
Frequent Visitor

I tried hooking my computer up to Ethernet and it still does it. This is getting really annoying. It’s not on my end like I said everything is brand new. Can u still contact the Corp office for me thank you.
Frequent Visitor

Here are my statistics now. I don’t mean to bother you. It’s just really annoying when your trying to watch a movie or say play some video games
33F62EC8-7425-422E-A3C9-89CEDEABB023.png
Frequent Visitor

Hey EG

Can I private message you to get my internet problem sorted out! Thank you
Expert

Re: Hey EG

I am not an employee and also can no longer directly escalate issues to employees, sorry. I can try to ask the "Experts" here who have the ability to re-escalate your issue for you. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Ok thank you for your help much appreciated.
Official Employee

Hi LEGITIXBacon, I can help review this further on my side. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi LEGITXBacon, thank you for your private message and please reach out if you need any assistance in the future.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.