Community Forum

Internet connection drops with modem

Frequent Visitor

Internet connection drops with modem

My internet connection will randomly drop throught the day/night time.  This is very frustrating because every time it drops I have to go reset the modem to get it to work.  This is a new house with a single (new) line running directly to the modem from the drop outside of the house. The specs of the modem are in line everytime I have checked them. Below is the system log from last night when the signal was dropped.  Unplugged the cable from the modem and restarted the modem and it connected right up.  modem errors.png

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Internet connection drops with modem

Can we see the signal stats. 

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this with a WiFi connection ?

Frequent Visitor

Model is TPLink 7610

TP link Modem and wireless router. 

Sketch.png

Diamond Problem Solver

The signal stats are good. You didn't specifically say that it was a WiFi connection, but if it is, as a test, does a computer that is hardwired directly to the router with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

If it also has the same problem that way, then as a further test, try connecting directly to the TP-link modem (no router in the mix) and see.

Frequent Visitor

It is a wifi connection.  I have tried connecting directly to the modem whenever this occurs but there is still no internet connection. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Are you powercycling the modem everytime that you change the device that is being connected directly to it ?
Frequent Visitor

Yes, but after I do that it works fine for all devices in the house, not just the one hardwired. 

Diamond Problem Solver

For clarity, I am talking about powercycling the TP Link modem after you connect the computer directly to it with no router being in the mix at all.
Frequent Visitor

Correct.  No router is involved.  Sometimes when the "outage" occurs, before I reset the modem I notice that it says there is no internet connection and the light for the upload connection is blinking like when it is trying to connect.  I have left it alone before to see if it would connect, but after 5 to 10 minutes of waiting I reset the modem and it connected right away.  Other times when the "outage" occurs,  all lights on the modem are solid like it is still connected to the internet.

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k there are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.