Community Forum

Internet connection dropping several times during the day

New Poster

Internet connection dropping several times during the day

My Internet connection goes out several times during the day (more than 10 times), every day since last month.

I'm not sure what is the problem, because, after a few minutes (5-10min), it comes back again.

I know that the problem is not related to the Wifi connection because devices connected to the ethernet port also lose the internet connection.

Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks.

New Poster

Re: Internet connection dropping several times during the day

I have had the same problem since May.  Spending at least 10 hours on the phone and in chat with customer support has yielded three technician visits.  Among problem solving steps, Comcast techs have installed new wire on the drop from the pole to the house, verified and tested internal wiring (which is high quality, less than 9 months old, and is a home run to the exterior junction box (no splitters)), verified all connections, run signal strength/quality tests at each segment (e.g. hard line, drop to the house, and internal wiring), and worked with me to try to identify potential sources of interference (of which we failed to find even a possibility).  I have a self-owned Motorola 8600 modem that was about 6 months old when the problem started - about two weeks ago Motorola replaced the modem under warranty.

The problem persists.  In the last hour, I have had three outages and am staring at the modem's event log that is littered with T3 time-outs,  including entries that read "16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel", and two T4 time-outs.  The status page, reflecting seven days of up-time, shows almost 40% of the downstream channels had more than 5 million corrected errors with several approaching 30 million and almost 25% of the channels had more than 200,000 uncorrected errors with a couple in excess of 20 million.  I have also noted two or more upstream channels unlocked on multiple occasions.  Recently, I noticed "Network Access" was listed as "Denied".

I heavily rely on my home internet for my job; these outages frequently break off real-time messaging with company mangement and customers and end (VOIP) phone calls in mid-conversation.  While I acknowledge and appreciate the techs for their diligence and desire to help, I am at my wits' end.  I first reported this approximately three months ago and it has continued unabated.  At the moment, Comcast is a monopoly in my area and I have no viable options to switch.  I am investigating filing a formal complaint with the FCC, but I acknowledge that there is likely any result that will come from that.

I implore you to help.

New Poster

In the ultimate display of irony, I had to repost my previous message; when I clicked the button to submit my post... the internet was down.

Gold Problem Solver

@maxv wrote: My Internet connection goes out several times during the day ... devices connected to the ethernet port also lose the internet connection. ...

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts. Problems with Internet service are often due to poor connections between your equipment and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast do the troubleshooting, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

New Poster

@BruceW wrote:

@maxv wrote: My Internet connection goes out several times during the day ... devices connected to the ethernet port also lose the internet connection. ...

If you want to troubleshoot this yourself, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts. Problems with Internet service are often due to poor connections between your equipment and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

@BruceW  Was this response intended to include my post as well?  Should I have started a new thread?

Gold Problem Solver

@JSchu wrote:

@BruceW  Was this response intended to include my post as well?  Should I have started a new thread?

For Internet troubles it gets confusing to have two different problems with two different posters in one thread, so yes, it would be best if you had started your own topic rather than posting a reply to the OP. But beyond that, as I wrote, if you are unable to fix the problem yourself, you need to get Comcast back out to fix it. I realize that's frustrating, but if you can't fix it yourself, I know of no other way to fix a Comcast problem.

New Poster

@BruceW  Next time I will start a new thread rather than piggybacking.  In fact, I might do that if I don't get any additional replies on this.  I understand that Comcast needs to fix it as I cannot see any way for the problem to be in 'customer-owned equipment'.  However, I have darn-near bloodied my head from talking/chatting with customer support who walk me through rudimentary troubleshooting steps and/or schedule appointments to which a tech actually shows up about 33% of the time.  My last tech seemed very competent and did a lot of testing and troubleshooting, but he found nothing.  I was really hoping that I would find somebody who would have had a familiar problem to which somebody had found a solution and/or find a senior Comcast rep who could escalate my problem further than it has been.  As I mentioned, I've been dealing with Comcast with this problem for about three months and the outages happen many times every day and they significantly interrupt my job that enables me to shelter and feed my family.  If you have any suggestions at all - either from the technical side (i.e. somebody who can provide insight into my modem logs) or from the bureaucratic side (i.e. how to get my case to the proper person who can invoke higher level techs/troubleshooting) - I would be extremely, extremely grateful!