Community Forum

Internet comes and goes, on and off, almost like a pause, packet loss. Techs can't figure it out.

New Poster

Internet comes and goes, on and off, almost like a pause, packet loss. Techs can't figure it out.

Hi all. We have been with Comcast for several years now and just resigned a new contract on August 22nd. There was an outage on August 19th and since then, our internet has been a downhill wreck.

It would turn on and off. I switched the modem, happened again. About a few times a night, signal would be lost.

For the last week, it's been HORRIBLE. Constant lagging, almost like a pause in the connection. If I'm playing a game, it'll give me the diminishing wifi signal in the middle of the screen and then the game will freeze and it'll come back and superspeed through everything I missed while it was frozen, resulting in my loss at the game. My son experiences it with Rocket League while he's practicing with his eSports team. On YouTube, it'll freeze while loading video thumbnails and stay in that paused state for a few minutes and then load it all in superspeed. 

It happens on wifi AND my pc directly connected to ethernet. I don't game on my PC but it won't load a page or it'll spin in circles for a few until it does. 

For educational purposes, it stops while working on group projects in realtime. My daughter uses Google docs where the group works together and she misses everything they're doing during each freeze. It's CONSTANT. 

I have the brand spankin' new modem. Doesn't help. I've changed channels on the wifi, doesn't help.

We had a tech come out yesterday and he noticed our line was sagging (with the hurricane winds and tropical depression weather, everything has been crazy windy outside). He swore that was the issue. Then after reconnecting the sagged line, he came into the house and checked, found an issue (probably checked at the moment it was lagging/freezing )and then the next check, he said we were good to go. He left. We had to run some errands. We came back two hours later, connected to Spotify, our son was playing xbox online, our daughter was working on her presentation online and it started to happen again. 

I got back on chat with an agent, she checked the line, said everything was fine on her end. But said she'd be sending a senior tech tomorrow.

Problem is, we have until today to cancel our contract. If this is what we're set to expect over the next year, it's not happening. And I don't want to be stuck having to cover an early termination fee because they can't replicate the issue and can't find the cause to the pause. 

I don't have a lot of technical experience but I've read several posts here and watched some YouTube videos so I've gathered some of the necessary data, I just don't know how to translate it and pinpoint the issue so we can have it fixed or not, and then cancel. 

Any ideas? @ComcastKenF @ComcastMorgan I've seen you both reply to similar issues. Thanks in advance. 

Edited to add: It took almost a minute of loading before this message posted, after I clicked POST. Smiley Sad 

New Poster

Re: Internet comes and goes, on and off, almost like a pause, packet loss. Techs can't figure it out

Same thing is happening to us in Cypress, TX. It started when they "increased our speed a week or 2 ago. Multiple modem reboots but no luck yet. As soon add I can find ot, I am going to try a modern config refresh command through the chatbot service.. Very annoying..
Regular Visitor

Re: Internet comes and goes, on and off, almost like a pause, packet loss. Techs can't figure it out

Comcast will give you the runaround and make you call techs that are just reading a script 100s of times before they actually fix anything unless you threaten to cancel services. I had 6 months of t3/t4 errors and speaking to generic customer support halfway across the world to no avail. I knew the cable from the junction box was damaged after the next to last tech visit but xfinity kept cancelling the rewires on me. When they FINALLY rewired magically my intenet worked perfectly and no t3/t4 errors (surprise surprise)

Regular Visitor

Hi--what area are you in? I am in Broward County, FL and this is exactly what has been happening to me over the past week. My wifi shuts on and off throughout the day--maybe once every 15 minutes. I did all of the necessary shutdowns and even went to the Xfinity store to get a replacement Gateway. I was attributing it to the high winds we were having last week, but Xfinity said that had nothing to do with it. After sending a tech to the home (which I took off of work for) he spent over 3 hours at the house but really had no idea what he was doing--he didn't understand what my Xfinity Xfi pods were (?!?!)--he kept saing that wifi has nothing to do with iPods(!); when I showed him that my Ring, Arlo Cameras, Nest thermostat & smoke detector, wireless printer, Canary, Apple TVs, Sonos and ADT alarm were also constantly resetting with every blip, he would only focus on the ADT and say that it is not Xfinity's fault(?!?!). He was rude, condescending and unpleasant throughout. In the end he begrudgingly put an amplifier on the side of the house and the problem stopped--until yesterday (5 days later). I am noticing that it was very windy outside and my line is sagging through the palm trees. I HATE to go through this all over again, but I'll call them out to see if they can check the pole. Any advice on how to get pushed through to get a more "senior" tech/advisor rather than one of their contracted employees that tend to not "care"?