Community Forum

Internet + Voice bundle but not using Voice, can I use a non voice modem?

Frequent Visitor

Internet + Voice bundle but not using Voice, can I use a non voice modem?

Probably not possible but I'll ask anyway - subscribed to the Gigabit + Voice bundle for the better price. Have not and don't plan to use the Voice service as my MagicJack subscription has another 2 years to go. 

Can I buy a non-voice modem or do I need to stay with the more expensive all in wonder modem + WiFi + Voice ?

Expert

Re: Internet + Voice bundle but not using Voice, can I use a non voice modem?

@KenZ71 wrote:

Probably not possible but I'll ask anyway - subscribed to the Gigabit + Voice bundle for the better price. Have not and don't plan to use the Voice service as my MagicJack subscription has another 2 years to go. 

Can I buy a non-voice modem or do I need to stay with the more expensive all in wonder modem + WiFi + Voice ?

If you subscribe to Comcast Digital Voice, you need to have a voice modem due to 911 and emergency services laws. If you buy an internet modem only to activate, Comcast will be forced to send you their gateway again, and you'll be stuck with two devices. 

Depending on your speed tier, you can purchase your own internet+voice modem (eMTA) , an all in one gateway like the one Comcast leases to you, or get two separate modems, one for voice and one for internet. 

See https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com for more details. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!