Community Forum

Internet T3 timeouts and X1 TV interruptions

New Poster

Internet T3 timeouts and X1 TV interruptions

I'll apologize in advance for this long post. I am not sure if I should post this to the internet section or TV, so posting here in the internet section first. I am looking for direction on anything else I can do for this situation.  Let me first state that until I upgraded my Xfinity TV Service from regular cable to X1/and boosting the internet speed in Late January of this year, everything had been working with minimal issues up to this point (Pretty much for the last 8 or so years). Since the change I have been experiencing the below issues sporadically during the week until the last month or so which then ramped up to about 20-30 times a day.  I am thinking this is more coincidence but wanted to mention it in case the service change could be contributing to the problem.

For the internet, I appear to be having the same exact issue as explained in this post (

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/Connection-Constantly-Drops-T3-Timeouts-Across-4-Modem...).  I have attached a pic of the log screen from my modem’s log from a few weeks ago that I believe shows the same situation is occurring. If I check the logs again today, they show the same situation, just different dates.  I usually know when this situation occurs because when I lose internet, and I go to look at the modem LED's, it is usually going through a boot up process (all lights off, 1 by one come on in green and then eventually turn blue). This is my own modem (Motorola 6141).

I want to also add that when I have an internet problem, if I try to access the TV’s cable guide, information button, etc. on the X1 master box or X1 slave box, I will eventually get a RDK-03033 Error.  The picture will still be there playing the show, but unable to change the channel or do anything else.  Once I see the that the internet issue has subsided, then the X1 system starts working again. Outside of the RDK-03033 Error, when watching shows on the master and slave X1 boxes, they may also get digitize or skip a few seconds of the show and appears to "catch up" again.  During these events, it appears that my digital converter boxes are not impacted and can change channels/access the guide without issue.

Touble shooting:

I have re-wired from the Grounding block on the outside of the house to a new splitter (went from a 5 way splitter to a 3 way and disconnected the digital converts) and then new cables from there to the Master box and 1 slave X1 box.  I did not touch the cable from that splitter to the internet modem. The problem did not go away.  I then changed out the new splitter with a PPC EV01-5/P Lossloss splitter, the issue did not go away. To rule out something causing the problem, I disconnected the cable modem cable and slave box, by removing the 3 way splitter, putting in cable extender to connect the cable from the master box to the cable coming from the grounding block, changing out the POE MOCA filter out, the TV will still get RDK-03033 Error’s many times a day. 

In any of the above cable situations, when the situation is occurring if I try to access the Comcast app on the phone (using the cell signal) and try to send a reset command to the TV and internet modem, it tells me there is a connection problem and that it can’t communicate with the devices. As a last resort, I have powered everything off for a day, and that didn’t change anything either.

From what I understand, the X1 system is just another “cable modem” to get the majority of its service and would be subjected to the same issues that would occur on internet modem, makes me feel this is namely an internet issue as a whole.  Since changing the wiring, changing splitters, changing MOCA filter, removing the cable modem has had no impact, it leads me to believe the issue is either with the cable Line between the house and the pole, the connection at the pole, or further downstream.

Is there anything else I can do remedy the situation before I try to call Comcast phone support, and try to convince them that they have a line/connection issue outside my house and that they need to send someone out.  Also, I am not looking forward to being charged the 69.99 – 120.00 fee to send a tech out for something that I believe that is outside of my house (and out of my control).

Any ideas?

modem_diag.PNG
Expert

Re: Internet T3 timeouts and X1 TV interruptions

Hi @george_lochner

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

PS: For the love of all that is holy, charge your phone! 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Sorry for the delayed response, a lot of chores over the weekend.

Thanks for the trouble shooting guide.  I already checked most of the basics  in that guide with all cables being RG6 quad shield, no excessive cables legths (longest run from the lossless splitter is 25 feet), no sharp bends of cables in the house, etc.  But what I had not looked at was the cable drop on the house.  Previously the Comcast installer (when I bought the house) routed the cable down the side of my 110/220v goose neck housing and used support clips to hold it tight against the siding.  Then about 8 years ago I had basically the same issues with internet constantly going out (back then it was a RCA modem they switch out to the original surfboard) so Comcast came in and replaced the F connector on the cable drop in the box on the side of the house and replaced splitter that was in there (which I eliminated that splitter about a year ago leaving only the grounding block).  Anyway, I just noticed that in putting a new F connector on, they had no slack and decided to pull the cable at the bottom clip effectively creating a 90 degree bend. I saw the original installer had about a foot of slack coiled up and the roof line, I loosened 1 coil out to create 4-6 inches of slack to push down the siding clips to remove the 90% bend at the bottom.  Not sure if that would help or not but did it anyway.  I also decided to temporarely bypass the grounding block which is the only original piece of cabling/connection from the original Cable install. I used a barrel connector on the MOCA filter and connected straight to the line that went to the lossless splitter.  Since then, I have 0 Internet drops and no more RDK-03033 errors on the master or slave X1 boxes.  

I am purchacing a new grounding block from amazon since we do not have a good electronic supplies in my area.  I will keep monitoring and will report back after a short time advising if the issue went away or was just temp.

Expert

Good catch! Connectors/barrels/ground blocks are common failure points. Thanks for the update. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.