Community Forum

Internet Speed 400 mbps Problem

New Poster

Internet Speed 400 mbps Problem

Fot the last 2 1/2 yrs I was on the 250 mbps w/blast package and just this past friday I decided to upgrade to the 400 mbps due to all the smart tv's and laptops, cell phones, and tablets in my household. I do have my PC hard wired to the Xfinity router. The router I now have is from comcast the xFi Advanced gateway Technicolor CGM4140COM. I have done speedtest after speedtest and I am not getting even close to 400 mbps. Matter of fact its still exactly what it was before I changed out the router. Im getting anywhere from 195 mbps to about 245 mbps. Thats hard wired. If I do a speedtest on my laptop using wireless im getting 75 mbps. If i hard wire my laptop it shows 245-255. Could anyone here explain why this is? If Im paying for 400 mbps, I want 400 mbps.

New Poster

Re: Internet Speed 400 mbps Problem

One thing i can think of is to see what the Mbps Limit is for most of your devices,  especially for laptops you may want to look into upgrading the wifi card in it so it can it can handle a higher Mbps limit. Another thing you can try is adjusting your router's settings so it is on one channel and not on Auto, plus dowload a Wifi Analyzer and see what channels are being commonly used in your neighbor and pick a channel that not many people are on.  

Official Employee

Re: Internet Speed 400 mbps Problem

Hello @N3CDX, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I can definitely understand how not getting the correct speeds could cause some frustration and or inconvenience. We absolutely want to get to the bottom of this and I would be more than happy to assist you. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different?

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message". 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!