Community Forum

Internet Outage. Faulty Modem or Bad Cables?

Regular Visitor

Internet Outage. Faulty Modem or Bad Cables?

I've read some similar issues and I'm not sure if it's the modem or my cable wire. I am experiencing random internet outage since April 2019 and thought it would be a short issue, however it still continue as of now. I used an ethernet cable on my PC and wifi on my phone. Tested with other devices to make sure it wasn't my equipment but all other devices had the same problem. On May 13th, I called Comcast and they tried shooting a signal to my modem, restarting it and the problem still occurs even though the signal looked good on their end. The agent said he didn't know what the problem was so he scheduled me a tech 2 days later after the call.

The tech came by and said the main problem was "too many devices" for the Internet Essential plan. The maximum devices that was ever active in the household was 5, other than that, it's mainly 2 devices. I told the tech that the problem never happened during other seasons but only during and nearing summer (this is my 2nd time having the same issue. The first time, the agent told me to switch for a new modem and it's working fine until now). I continued explaining to the tech that I have already tried only 1 device connected at a time, my computer, then my phone only and the problem didn't go away. He answered back that the internet essential plan was only for web surfing, not for gaming nor streaming. I was gaming but not so much streaming without problems for 7-8 months until now.. I even took out my ethernet cable from my PC to make sure it didn't interrupt some type of signal interruption and used the built in wifi. To conclude the tech visit, he did some wire organizing outside of my house, removed the splitter, and left with the problem still persists.

My current Gateway model is TG1682G. As the problem persisted, I realized that the downstream power level and SNR dropped at random times. SNR drops from 36dB to 30dB, downstream power level from -1 dBmV to -19 dBmV. Upstream power level rises from lowest at 39 dBmV to the highest at 47 dBmV. It probably hit over 50 dBmV at some point that I didn't catch on as my modem rarely restarts itself. Most of the time, it hits 0.00 dBmV when the internet goes out and lock status changed to "Not Locked". I assumed it was a bad cable wire so I switched to a different wall cable of the house and connected to my modem but it didn't solve anything. And when I log into the Status Center page, I see the error message on the modem, "Issues detected." I don't know what is the issue anymore and it's been like this for 2 months.

As I'm writing this, my internet has already died 3 times!
Here's the signal level before typing this post: https://imgur.com/Q2mZWHU
And here's when it died while typing:
http://imgur.com/a/Xb6BqpI
Regular Visitor

Re: Internet Outage. Faulty Modem or Bad Cables?

Now, the modem's light are light up as if it should be working but I can't connect to it. Says "Failed to obtain IP address" and I can't get into the admin tool page. It'll work if I reset the modem but I'm not looking for a temporary fix.
Expert

Something intermittent is going on. The signals should not fluctuate so greatly. I suggest that you get the techs out again until itis fixed correctly. Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs cannot find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. Good luck with it !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello @ConfusedCopy, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear about the intermittent connection issues you have been experiencing. I can definitely see how inconvenient and or frustrating this could be. I would be more than happy to further troubleshoot this on my end and get a tech back out if needed. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@ConfusedCopy, I'm delighted that this connection issue has been resolved on your end, thanks for working with us in order to get it corrected. Please be sure to reach out to us for any future issues or concerns, we're here to help. We value you and appreciate you being the best part of Comcast. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ConfusedCopy  @ComcastAmira Curious to know what the solution to this problem turned out to be ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Hi there! The issue had been solved and the problem happened to be old cable wires that were damaged. The tech had exchanged the cable wires outside and I am having stable connection now.
Expert

Thanks for posting back ! Good luck with it !