Community Forum

Internet Keeps Going In and Out - Send & Receive Lights Flashing at the Same Time

Frequent Visitor

Internet Keeps Going In and Out - Send & Receive Lights Flashing at the Same Time

Hello, I have searched the internet high and low and cannot find a cohesive answer to my problem.

For about the last month or so, my internet just stops working, then about an hour later it kicks back in and I have to reset my wireless router.

When it happens, the send and receive lights on my modem flash in unison over and over and over.

Unplugging EVERYTHING works 5% of the time, otherwise I just have to wait.

I feel the problem is with my cables - I have a cable coming from the yard, to the side of the house where there is a "extension" (don't know what it's called exactly) that connects to another cable, that cable then runs into my crawl space and is split behind the outlet - one going upstairs to the cable box and one coming out of the outlet downstairs - after the outlet, it's then split again to the modem and DVR downstairs.

I tried calling Customer Support - but no one apparently knows anything both times I called and said they have to send someone out. The first time I called, I tried to solve it myself - no dice there. The second time I made an appointment between 5-7, but they wouldn't have shown up until 7:20 according to 800-COMCAST - I cancelled that appointment cause I have better things to do on a Friday night than wait for help with internet... but I digress...

So is it my splitters? Too many splitters? Cables are old? Not R6 cables? They are not labeled at all so I cannot confirm or deny the cable issue. I don't know enough about splitters to know if they are the issue either. What I find interesting is that - as I mentioned above - the send & receive lights blink together until it kicks back it.

Also, my cable television works just fine and I even bought a new modem and the problem still happens.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet Keeps Going In and Out - Send & Receive Lights Flashing at the Same

Your not by yourself. Mind is doing the same thing. They are going to have to come out and check the signal strength. If it is not within a certain perimeter it may not work. They had to lay me a bigger cable and change something at the main box.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet Keeps Going In and Out - Send & Receive Lights Flashing at the Same

Sure is frustrating isn't it? Are you by any chance in the Chicago land area? Any luck with what you did to the cables and/or box?

Expert

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they are or are close to being out of spec. Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi EG - thanks for the response.

It only allows me to click the "System" tab and not the "Signal," "Status," or "Log" tabs - said I need my provider to provide me with access to that feature, not sure if that matters. Here is everything that came up outside of serial and MAC:

Name: Cisco DPC2100R2

Hardware Version: 2.1

Software Version: dpc2100rx-v202r12560121012Uas

Receive Power Level: -11.6 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio: 34.4dBmV

Transmit Power Level: 51.5 dBmV

Thanks again.

EDIT - I believe the modem is working at the moment - my wife sent me the info but I didn't ask her if it's connecting properly, I imagine it would be beneficial to also send in the stats when it's down. I'll see if I can get those too.

Expert

What we need to see is there and all your stats are borderline / marginal. 

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc. 

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Having the same problem with our modem.  I am going to work on it tonight when I get home.  Just moved into the house and had equipment transferred.  It worked fine before.

There may be a wiring issue in the house that I will investigate. Too many spittlers or old wires perhaps.

Contributor

Am having the same problem here as well off and on in Indiana. Internet and phone will go out for an hour or less with the lights on the front constantly blinking.

Expert

Have you checked your signal stats and / or followed the tips ? You never responded to this thread;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/What-s-wrong-with-the-internet-lately/m...

Contributor

According to comcast there is an outage in my area, well at least that is what they're telling me on my account page.

"A service outage has been reported in your area. We're working to fully restore service as soon as possible."

So I am guessing this is not an isolated problem with my modem.

Expert

You know what happens when you "guess"...  Smiley Wink

Contributor

This is certainly a problem on Comcast's end, my neighbor (and possibly others) are having the same outages and my aunt who does not live in my town is having the same exact problem as we are, but one thing we all share is the same Comcast center that provide us with the phone/internet/cable signals. 

Expert

O/k it's possible but I'll have to dust off my crystal ball before I can commit to an agreement..  

Contributor

Least I know now I do not have to waste my time having a tech come out to replace my modem or something ineffectual to this cause. GG EG 

Expert

Unless you checked your stats you don't really "know" anything for sure..

Frequent Visitor

They will be out tomorrow and I will give an update. I live in the Houston, Tx area.

Frequent Visitor

They came out yesterday and worked on the system. They got it to work again. This morning it stop working again. I call them to come back out today. Seem like it goes out about the same time everyday. This is sad :-(
Regular Visitor

This has been happening more frequently with each passing day and I'm just about done with Comcast Xfinity. This all began when they "upgraded" they're network for DOCSIS 3.0 compatibility. Since then even though my DOCSIS 2.0 modem was NOT listed as EOL I started having dropouts of the carrier. This is NOT an outage issue. And starting last Monday when I received a letter from them that said they're records indicated I still had a D2 modem I should upgrade to D3 in order to 'enjoy' the benefit of the new upgraded network. Nothing was mentioned that I would have trouble maintaining my connection through the D2 device. This smacks of capitulation to force customers to upgrade to the new standard in order to provide new sources of revenue through they're leasing programs for they're own equipment. I for one will not go so quietly. My Internet access had been down everyday now for the past 7 days, always between the hours of 1 to 3 PM Pacific time and had been unable to reconnect for up to almost 9 hours! This is totally unacceptable. If comcast doesn't get it together soon I will be looking form a new provider.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone for the help and information.

Well, I checked all of my splitters, my cables, everything looks OK and tightly connected. I had emailed we_can_help@comcast.net since I cannot stand another phone call with "Have you tried to reset..." "Is your modem on..." I know they are trying to help...

Anyway, I received a call from someone at the Corporate Office - she then told me to schedule an appointment. I said not yet as I just want someone to answer me with something other than "We have to send a service tech out." She was very very nice and apologetic and I told her my whole story and I asked her if I should upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and she said yes. So I picked one up from my local Comcast center and set it up when I got home. 

Side note - they gave me a router/modem in one, well they never reset the freaking wifi password to the default one so I cannot even use that feature, had to plug my own router in... sigh...

Anyway. It didn't work for a while, I was on hold forever and ever, then it started to work. I finally had someone tell me that the flashing lights problem I have is that the modem is trying to download a file. But I really couldn't get any more information than that as they "couldn't see my modem connected."

Eventually I was able to get it working and was ALMOST happy. Until about 4:00am when I walked past it to get some water and low and behold, the freaking lights were blinking, I grabbed my phone and had no internet service via the wifi.

Starting to look like I need a tech to come out and replace all of my wiring or ditch Comcast internet...

Other side note - my neighbor has Comcast and he said he is not having the issue, so it really must boil down to my cables. But this problem looks rather wide spread, so who knows, I'm lost.

Will schedule an appointment and go from there.

Expert

mstanton1983 wrote:

Side note - they gave me a router/modem in one, well they never reset the freaking wifi password to the default one so I cannot even use that feature, had to plug my own router in... sigh... 

FWIW, if you are going to use your own separate router with it you are introducing an undesirable double NAT condition on your home network which can lead to some difficulties. You really should call in and have them place the gateway device in to bridge mode so that it acts as a plain vanilla cable modem. Cascading two routing devices is not a good idea.

Regular Visitor

Re: Internet Keeps Going In and Out **UPDATE**

After a lengthy Chat session 2 nights ago with an online tech My DOCSIS 2.0 modem is suddenly working flawlessly again. Once I told her I was a Network Tech and to "Please skip all the script formatted B.S. about cables, splitters, resetting and power cycling, etc." she realized I wasn't just the average computer/networking  illiterate they probably have to deal with on a regular basis so that helped to expedite our interaction. Along with the problem I previously related I also told her that I had already purchased a new D3 replacement and that I should have it by Tuesday (Today - I have it in my possession as I type this and will attempt to install and provision later). The bottom line is that the problem I was experiencing (that I detailed in my previous submission) is no longer present. Amazing! What does this tell us? Well, for one possibly that Comcast is knowingly allowing issues of usability problems to "encourage" customers to upgrade their hardware (preferably to their leased products) in order to improve revenue sources to help pay for their own upgrade. Secondly, they are perfectly capable of allowing so-called "End Of Life" (EOL) hardware to be able to function over the newly upgraded network protocols so it begs the question: Collusion and capitulation? I'll leave it to more qualified individuals to address that theory. 

Frequent Visitor

After 3 tech visits, the 4 one came out and found the problem. It was a line issue coming into the main box to the subdivision. Although the signals were reading normal, they were false signals. He went deeper into the system from the house which had a very weak signal, the connection coming into the house had a very weak signal and the line coming from wherever into the main box to subdivision had a weak signal. He had to call out the lineman. The next day they came out, work at the main box to the subdivision and solve the problem. Don't know what they did but everything is working ok. Even solve all of my X1 issues. Hope this helps.Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Update - after having the new DOCSIS 3 modem for two days running, I have not noticed a single drop in service. Looks like this was my problem all along. I also was able to fix the wireless issue I had by simply resetting the device (duh... my bad).

To anyone else with a similar problem, upgrade that modem and maybe that was the issue.

Hopefully my luck keeps going, we will see in a week or two.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind help and I hope everyone else gets their issue taken care of.

Regards,

John

Expert

Best of luck !

Frequent Visitor

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Last night, at 11:00PM, it happened again.

So, apparently, a DOCSIS 3 was not my solution. I called 800-COMCAST while it was happening and they said the modem just kept timing out. They refreshed it, reprovisioned it, we did a hard reset, nothing.

I finally decided to mess with my cables some more. I managed to get rid of one splitter and it worked... until this morning when I left for work.

I'm done, time to call a tech and have them replace everything. I did have them add me to that service subscription for $3/month as the problem might not "be Comcast's".

Mercy... I'll keep everyone posted in hopes whatever goes on with my situation helps you.

Highlighted
Expert

Sorry to hear that but I'm not really surprised considering that your signals were only marginal. Perhaps the drop line from the pole is bad or the problem may be somewhere in the neighborhood infrastructure. A premises tech should check the drop. If they can't find and fix a problem at the home, it is they who are responsible for escalating an issue to their line / network maintenance techs to investigate the local area hardware.

Frequent Visitor

That was my problem. The line coming into the neighborhood had a weak signal. I have not had anymore problem since they fix that problem. No more problems with the internet or X1. Have them check the signal coming into the neighborhood.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I am hoping this is my final post.

About 9 days ago, in a last ditch effort, I went back into my crawlspace and assessed the cables and splitters. I was able to completely remove one splitter from the modem. So now once the cable enters the house, it is just split once where the modem receives and the other wire goes into another splitter than goes to both cable boxes... Low and behold, 9 days of no intererrupted service. This is a record for me.

So, to anyone who might benefit.

1. Remove all of the splitters you can (sort of obvious, I know).

2. Upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem (also, sort fo obvious).

But there you have it, I am a happy camper and didn't need to have Comcast come out and do who knows that.

Thanks again everyone for your help, take care.

Expert

Glad to hear you got it sorted !

New Poster

I have been having the exact same problem.  Have reset connection, box, have not changed wiring at all since I upgraded to the new "improved" modem.   I had no problems with my old modem until they insisted that I had to upgrade to their faster, more effecient modem.  Once it was set up, my problems started.  I sent old modem back 2 months ago, still shows that I have it...(wish I did).  I will be looking at switching out of Xfinity.  This is rediculous. 

Frequent Visitor

I have same problem too.

In July Internet is in and out almost every day,

so I rest my SBG6580 by pushing the button on the back.

after that it was "access denied"

so I called customer service but they had no idea about "Config File", "IPv4","IPv6"....

I wasted almost every night about one to two hours with customer service for a week.

Customer service said, your modem looks like broken so buy a new one.

So, I bought a new SB6141. After activation it works fine about a week.

now it start in and out again.

cable, splitter and signal strength are fine.

I think something is going on Comcast but customer service had no idea what that is.

New Poster

I have the same issue with DOCSIS 2.0 modem and N150 router. The connection keeps dropping around night time. Resetting modem/router does not help.

One thing I found though that the number of wireless devices connected might be a factor. I believe Comcast assigns set number of IP addresses for each customer, how many I don't know.

Yesterday when my connection started dropping, I stopped wireless access on couple of devices and reset the router. The connections worked just fine after that.

I will try the same thing again if it happens. Need to follow-up with comcast on it though.

Expert

vgkool wrote:

I have the same issue with DOCSIS 2.0 modem and N150 router. The connection keeps dropping around night time. Resetting modem/router does not help.

One thing I found though that the number of wireless devices connected might be a factor. I believe Comcast assigns set number of IP addresses for each customer, how many I don't know.

Yesterday when my connection started dropping, I stopped wireless access on couple of devices and reset the router. The connections worked just fine after that.

I will try the same thing again if it happens. Need to follow-up with comcast on it though.

FWIW, if the lights on the modem are cycling then it's not a wireless router / number of clients issue..

New Poster

Thanks EG.. So if the lights are not flashing and if we drop connections, it's because of # of connections?

It would be great to know if my assumption is correct or wrong that comcast puts limits on number of connections.

Expert

Not necessarily. Years ago the firmware that they used to push to *THEIR* supplied routers and gateway devices used to have a five simultaneous client limit but I'm not certain about these days, sorry.

Regular Visitor

I'm not able to reach either of these IP addresses, which are presumably my modem (Ubee ddm3513, DOCSIS 3.0), in order to get signal diagnostics. I recently upgraded to Blast! and added a IPv6 compatible router. Connection is up (early in the day) and down (late afternoon and evening). Win 7 network map always shows connectivity to router and internet. The problem appears to be DNS-related, since browser errors are about not finding sites or site not responding. So, I tried using OpenDNS and Google DNS servers, to no avail. Just wondering if I have signal strength issues or perhaps corrosion since it has rained a lot here during the monsoon season (desert southwest). TIA

Regular Visitor

UPDATE:

Two months now and the DOCSIS 3.0 Modem has been installed and has been working as advertised for the most part with a couple of minor hiccups here and there. One thing that made a diference was removing just one splitter from the distribution point where the modem was installed that had sent the split signal to a small TV in the room where the network distribution devices were located. Until I removed that splitter Comcast could not see the new D3 modem enough to get it provisioned on their network even though the previous D2 Modem had been running fine off that split since my "Chat" with CS that I had mentioned in my previous post. Anyway, bottom line is everything is working for the most part and I'm getting close to the speeds I'm supposedly paying for with Comcast Xfinity. I hope you all have had similar success.

Expert