Community Forum

Internet Essentials connection Data Quota / Cap?

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet Essentials connection Data Quota / Cap?

Hello!

My Internet Essentials service was just activated this afternoon.

I have questions.

Is there a data quota and/or cap for my service?  If so, what is it / are they?

Are there are extra charges for exceeding the quota / cap?  If so, how much?

We use Netflix a lot and I don't want to go over if there is a quota/cap.   I know 1024 GB is a relatively huge amount, but I don't want to get into trouble during binges.

Thank you!

Contributor

Re: Internet Essentials connection Data Quota / Cap?

The data cap is a measily 1TB.  If you have the 4k Netflix and share with a houshold and also watch a lot of Youtube..etc. you will eat it up in no time.  For every 50GB that you go over it's $10 (max $200) or you can get "unlimited" for $50 extra on top of your normal bill per month.  They really need to raise the cap, especially w/ everything being streamed these days. 

Expert

If anyone in your family is using a 4K television, or other 4K devices like I-pads, 4K gaming, one tarabyte can easily be reached with only about 3 hours a day average for watching 4K.

Previous articles on 4k usage from various apps were underestimated because of different methods used for delivery of 4K/ HDR signals IPV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@beaconterraone wrote:

Where are you located ?;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-find-area?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@beaconterraone wrote:

We use Netflix a lot and I don't want to go over if there is a quota/cap.   I know 1024 GB is a relatively huge amount, but I don't want to get into trouble during binges.

Thank you!

See here if your state is on it.  Please refer to the Terabyte Internet Data Usage  thread for more info. 

Note that Netflix themselves state that you will only use about 7 GB/hr of bandwidth to watch 4K, so that's around 146 hours. If you think you're going to sit in front of the TV for that long, then you may want to consider alloting your bandwidth accordingly (ie use HD instead of UHD), pay the extra $50/mo for Unlimited bandwidth, or subscribe to xFi Advantage if it's available in your area. 

Expert

Darn echoes... 

New Poster

Thank you, all, for your replies!

There's just two of us, kids are all moved out now.  One TV, and one computer at a time each.  Netflix streaming is only 1080p for us.

I've seen conflicting information online about the cap/quota, so I figured I better ask.

I haven't had to meter a connection for 8 years, when we had AT&T DSL.  I figured we would not get anywhere near 1 TB, but when $9.95/month could magically become $200/month, that's concerning.  I'll keep an eye on our usage and go from there.

New Poster

@EG wrote:

@beaconterraone wrote:

Where are you located ?;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-find-area?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Northern California

New Poster

@EG wrote:

Darn echoes... 

If I'm asking a question that has been asked before (probably), my apologies.  I've seen some claim there's no cap/quota for Internet Essentials and prepaid Internet, a cap/quota for some states, others that there's none at all.  Couldn't all be right, of course.  I'm thinking the "no cap/quota" camp is just out of date (by years?).

Expert

My comment wasn't directed at you. So it looks like California is subject to the datalimit;

Terabyte Data Internet Usage Plan Availability

Xfinity Internet customers in the following locations have the Terabyte Data Internet Usage Plan:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California