Community Forum

Internet Data Usage 1tb limit already almost gone after 4 days?

New Poster

Internet Data Usage 1tb limit already almost gone after 4 days?

Just got Xfinity internet and recieved a pop up on my phone that said I was close to the 1tb limit. I log in my account and see ive used 966gb in 4 days how is that possible I downloaded a windows update and watched Hulu. How can the data usage be so innaccurate? Hopefully it can be reset because this doesnt make sense.

New Poster

Re: Internet Data Usage 1tb limit already almost gone after 4 days?

Thanks for the help I now know where not to go for help lol

Contributor

I'd start by reading theTerabyte Internet Data Usage thread.

It's long but there seem to be a lot of ways to use a lot of data. Maybe just read the last 10 or 20 pages because it's a thread that has been runing for years.

What you can do depends on what kind of equipment/tools you have.  For example, my Netgear router has reporting that agrees with Comcast but is much more real-time.  Another peron has an Asus router that also breaks down usage by device - very handy. 

One simple test you can do is to turn off the router(s), (Keeping in mind that some Xfinity cable boxes have their own routers in them) wait a few days, check usage, leaving it off, wait a few more days and check it again.  if it keeps going up then something fishy is going on. The waiting days  (vs hours) is because the Comcast meter isn't accurate at sub-24 hour periods.

Silver Problem Solver

@Holy_Smoke wrote:

Just got Xfinity internet and recieved a pop up on my phone that said I was close to the 1tb limit. I log in my account and see ive used 966gb in 4 days how is that possible I downloaded a windows update and watched Hulu. How can the data usage be so innaccurate? Hopefully it can be reset because this doesnt make sense.

Just an FYI: I sometimes use the Netflix app to binge watch.  That always drives up my usage.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

These folks deal with data usage inquires:

Customer Security Assurance 

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.