Community Forum

Intermittent internet outages for 10-20 minutes at a time in evenings and overnight...

Regular Contributor

Intermittent internet outages for 10-20 minutes at a time in evenings and overnight...

I seem to be having temporary (10-20 minutes at most) internet outages where the modem seems to stay connected, yet there's no signal going to any of my devices. Luckily this seems to only be happening in the evening or sometimes overnight.

This makes probably the third (or is it fourth?) issue I've had with this internet since we first signed up for the service a number of years back. So I'm wondering if it's a buggy firmware that got pushed to the gateway (AGAIN) like the one time before when I was having intermittent outages. Though that time they eventually rolled back the firmware till it got fixed. Hopefully it's something that simple again that's on Comcast's end of things.

My device is an SBG6580 customer owned gateway, if that helps.

Expert

Re: Intermittent internet outages for 10-20 minutes at a time in evenings and overnight...

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Intermittent internet outages for 10-20 minutes at a time in evenings and overnight...

@EG wrote:

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

It's a hardwired connection for all three devices I have on my network currently. I don't even have my wifi enabled on my gateway at this point.

Expert

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? 

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.)

• In the address bar, type: 192.168.0.1.
  • Enter Username*: admin.
  • Enter Password*: motorola.
  • Click Login.
  • Click on "Connection" / status

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Modem power levels.png

Regular Contributor

I don't know why but it's showing up as tiny still. I had to edit it a bunch of times to get it to just under 1000kb to upload it.

Expert

Host it somewhere like at Imgur and post the link to it here.

Regular Contributor

Mon Jul 01 12:29:25 2019 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
Time Not Established Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 1 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INIT
Fri Jun 28 20:05:17 2019 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
Time Not Established Critical (3) TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Wed Jun 05 14:55:14 2019 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Sat Apr 27 07:59:34 2019 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging opportunities received - T2 time-out;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Maintenance Broadcasts for Ranging opportunities received - T2 time-out;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

Regular Contributor

That's about half or so of the event log. I'm kinda shocked it even properly formatted it with a simple cut and paste.

Regular Contributor

Here's the connection (upstream/downstream). Of course I just unplugged the modem after getting the no internet notice while trying to web surf. So everything may look normal for now.

Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 7 495000000 Hz 7.8 dBmV 38.2 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 8 507000000 Hz 7.7 dBmV 38.3 dB 0 0
3 Locked QAM256 9 513000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 38.2 dB 0 0
4 Locked QAM256 10 519000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 38.3 dB 0 0
5 Locked QAM256 12 531000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
6 Locked QAM256 13 537000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 39.0 dB 0 0
7 Locked QAM256 14 543000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 39.3 dB 0 0
8 Locked QAM256 15 549000000 Hz 7.1 dBmV 39.0 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 47.5 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 47.5 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 48.0 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 17300000 Hz 46.5 dBmV
Regular Contributor

I posted part of the event log as well as the current upstream/downstream in separate new posts.  Still kind of shocked that they both showed up (at least on my end) with a simple cut and paste.

Unfortunately as I said above I just unplugged my modem for 10 or so seconds to refresh everything after getting the no internet notificiation while trying to web surf a bit ago. But I think the event log speaks for itself.

Expert

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the error log entries confirm that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Official Employee

@CheapestGamer -  Thank you for posting the modem logs! I will need to check your signals on my end and see if there are any issues in the area. Please send me a private message with your first and last name.  Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastElla wrote:

@CheapestGamer -  Thank you for posting the modem logs! I will need to check your signals on my end and see if there are any issues in the area. Please send me a private message with your first and last name.  Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.

Will do.