Community Forum

Intermittent internet connection issues

Frequent Visitor

Intermittent internet connection issues

I have been having severe lag spikes while playing games online over the last couple weeks.  One of my friends works for comcast in my area, on the video side of things, but he was able to quickly look up my info. He didn't see anything wrong with my modem levels but did say that the node for my area has too many devices connected to it.  Supposedely the node has 400+ connections when its is supposed to only have 330-350.  He also said at that time there was 3 active faults with the node and a bunch of "noise" because of the massive amount of connections to the node.  This seems like a problem on Comcast's end and not something that can be fixed by them coming to my house.  I don't want to be charged a service call for having them come to my house and not be able to fix it since the problem is not at my house.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Intermittent internet connection issues

It has been my understanding that they generally try to keep the node capacity below 400-500 homes passed. Perhaps over utilization is indeed the cause of your issue, and if it is, everyone else on the shared node / segment will also be being affected. Have you spoken to any of your neighbors to see if they are having problems ? The more people in your neighborhood that call in to complain, the more effective it will be in getting them to do something if that is actually what is needed. Are you using a DOCSIS 3 capable modem ? Pehaps the node needs to be split ?

Regular Visitor

I have been a Comcast member for many years now and I never used to have issues with my connection dropping various times during the day.. Seems the more Comcast supposedly moves to better their service the worst the swervice has gotten for it's existing customers.  My connection would drop daily at the same exact time for a good hour or longer sometimes most of the night too.. This led me to believe they musty be capping or putting timer on certain areas or accounts..When you call them, their resolve immediately is to send a tech to your residence which as you say , you will be billed for each visit they make! 

All the techs whom came out couldnt find a problem on my end..which made me believe I was correct.. the issue is and has always been on their end, and here we are paying for a tech service when they knowingly know the issue isn't at your end..Like most companys to get your money.. it's another quimick they use on many people unaware of how things work at that end.. I have a bit of knowledge how they control from a guy I dated whom was a tech & manager at a ISP company.  My connection remained stable for a while but again.. The drops have began on a timely daily basis..For the money we pay this service should be ALOT BETTER!

And as for getting credit for the time your off line..it's impossible when I tried telling customer service of the issue he swore up and down my modem was showing on his end that it was running online all the time.. so the customer will never win with them..

Frequent Visitor

I have not talked to anyone in my neighborhood.  Basically only have talked to my friend about it.  I do have a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 SB6120.  Also just got a "We'll make it right" card from my friend so I'll try that out.

New Poster

I have been having the exact same problem since I started service a week ago. Customer Service said it was my DOCSIS 2.0 modem so I bought a 3.0 and had it installed yesterday. No improvement. My Laptop has also checked out so it is not a problem on my end. They are coming back out next week to check the lines but I am pretty sure that your assessment is pretty close to the truth about too many users or something of that nature.

What we are experiencing looks to me like packet/data loss in the transmission. I can load static pages (usually) but anything streaming is choking. Google video chat won't work properly and my online game is also "hitching" badly, it's unplayable.

Frequent Visitor

You have to prove that your connection is going out, when, and for how long.  The only way to do that is with a program like Net Uptime Monitor (www.netuptimemonitor.com) that continuously tests your connection and writes a log of the failures.  You can show the log to Comcast and get some action!

Frequent Visitor

Channel ID4 5 6 8 

Frequency579000000 Hz 537000000 Hz 543000000 Hz 555000000 Hz 

Signal to Noise Ratio38 dB 36 dB 36 dB 37 dB 

Downstream ModulationQAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 

Power Level 8 dBmV  6 dBmV  6 dBmV  7 dBmV   

Channel ID 2  1  3 

Frequency 29500000 Hz  36400000 Hz  24200000 Hz 

Ranging Service ID 3644  3644  3644 

Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec  2.560 Msym/sec 

Power Level 42 dBmV  43 dBmV  40 dBmV 

Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
  [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
  [3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM
  Ranging Status Success  Success  Success 

Modem Log:

Sep 09 2012 21:28:10 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 08 2012 21:53:42 4-Error D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 08 2012 20:55:54 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 05 2012 09:53:36 4-Error D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 05 2012 09:53:33 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 05 2012 09:23:39 6-Notice I401.0 TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 05 2012 09:23:38 5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Jan 01 1970 00:00:13 6-Notice N/A Cable Modem Reboot due to IP loss ;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 05 2012 09:18:00 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:42:19 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:42:19 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:42:18 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:34:18 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:34:18 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:34:17 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:33:10 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:33:09 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:33:08 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:13:52 3-Critical R06.0 Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sep 04 2012 14:13:52 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=e4:83:99:59:ae:14;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:24:a0:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Frequent Visitor

Update: Posted modem signal levels and error log.

Also it seems that several people all over the country are experiencing problems like this since the new SB6120 firmware came out.  However the problem has been reported with other modems so it is likely that Comcast has done something else with their network that is causing severe noise in the nodes.

Frequent Visitor

Well my friend at comcast got the maintenance guys to come out and check it out.  Turns out that a squirrel had chewed through almost the whole lineint one spot and that was causing the problems.

Frequent Visitor

There is still a problem with T3 errors due to the firmware update that causes netflix or gaming to become unplayable for 10-20 mins throughout the day.

Regular Visitor

I just had comcast installed this week. Internet Blast. 

The tech was showing me the features and I asked him to run a speed test to check how fast Comcast Vs. my Century link.

Comcast came in with a download speed of 12-13mps. Century link was running over 20.

Tech made some calls saying the new blast box should also be over 20. Still having problem with internet not working daily?

I guess I need them to come back out with another box.

New Poster

So what did it take to get comcast maintenance I have been trying for 3 months to get your very same issue resolved.   Comcast seems to be doing a great job pointing the finger away from them, but I am almost sure its a noise issue or overloaded node or bad cable.

Regular Visitor

I’m also being having intermittent internet connection losses and slow speed issues for the past 3 months. Having gone through the tortuous time working with tech support and replacing various parts of my network has resulted in zero results. I’ve replaced my Motorola SB6121 with Zoom 5341J, Signal Splitter, RG cables, Ethernet cables and even my Router to no avail. I even canceled my appointment for a tech to come out since I can’t guarantee the problem will be there when he arrives. I get least at 20 MB plus download and 3 MB plus upload speeds when working which varies dramatically during the week. I do have an option that seems to work for me which is to replace my DOCSIS 3.0 modem with my old Linksys/Cisco 2.0 modem which at least keeps me connected at a consistent speed and since I now have 3 registered modems under my account makes changing pretty quick. While I’m not getting my advertized speeds the modem is staying within 5-10 MB download range with minimal errors which works in the short term. I don’t see this problem going anytime soon and I’m hoping when Comcast does a major upgrade in my area that the problem might go away.

New Poster

I have been having a similar problem ever since I got connected to Comcast about a month ago.  4 technicians have been to my house and replaced various components and that made no difference. 

I believe the problem is not one that can be fixed at my house.

New Poster

So you now know Comcast over push their equipment to par standards, what can you do?

I have had intermittent problems for months. Previous to that, a filter was absentmindedly forgotten on my line shortly after I dropped my TV service with them. When Comcast went digital, they had to remove them and absentmindedly forgot mine, who had internet service only with them. Then a storm caused problems with lines. The worst of it was fixed, (thus the first tech trip, who saw the issue and said it could take a few days to eliminate issue in area.

Since storm, my internet has continued to drop games for three seconds several times in the evening. Originally it happened on the weekend mostly, now it doesn't matter, still drops. The second tech came out and acting like there was nothing wrong with my service. Did a couple inside tests again and that was it. I told him exactly what was happening with loosing connection and how the sound just dropped when intermittent issues happened. He implied that my speed was subpar and not as good as what he has at home, Blast. I had 7.6 Mbps down normally with 1.6 up and the problem wasn't speed it was connection. He walked out never checking anything outside my house, despite the fact that I wanted lines tested this time. So I switched yesterday to Blast to see if there was any differences. My game dropped three times and my service went out for close to an hour. When I called Comcast, there was a recording stating that it would be fixed, meaning the internet power in my area.

Now it could be nodes in my area? We are in a high conjested residential area, that has periodic power issues with Penelecs transformers going out from time to time. How do you get them to fix the primary problem of intermittent issues that tech guys said they originally saw, but then didn't.

I almost had Comcast out for the third time and decided to do some tests myself so canceled my third appointment. Just got a bill for the second visit,I was not aware of, but still having disconnect problems. I run internet line direct to PS3 from router. New modem and new router, with all PS3 recommended and game recommended ports just in case. I have given them modem reports and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Why does Comcast come in your house when they proved their are no issues inside. They did not check my lines, as I mentioned earlier, I don't get it. All they test is your speed, which varies some, but for the most part is not the problem. 

Very frustrating how tech support can not pinpoint problem.

Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast always sends a premis tech to your home first to rule out any issues from the tap to your devices standard for them because it takes a premis tech to get a higher tier tech to look further into the problem. Its just SOP even though you may already know the problem is not at your location they have to rule it out first.

New Poster

Yesterday, Comcast said a special line tech would come out and check/or replace my outside lines (he never called to notify when/ or came).Then they had scheduled a second person to come and figure out why my new tv service wasn't getting a signal. Our house was rewired and rebuilt because of a fire in 1998, so that is how old the lines are, but outside they are exposed to the elements.

We have not had cable service working for two years; yet when I got this special deal, they assured me the self-hook up was easy to do. Our house was changed for dish, although we had the lines configured right, he recommended changing splitters to their brand and simplified some things a bit. He also found out that when I activated my equipment, somehow the old inactive modem was reactivated which caused some funky things to happen the previous day. Anyway the tv system is up and working, absolutely great HD and the VCR seems to be working. We dropped Comcast tv two years ago because there was no HD in our area and the VCR kept having to be replaced with another used dud, but we kept the internet. But the tv package deal has been worth the wait. 

In regard to the last tech (tv), he did not go out and check lines either, though a special order was scheduled that same day too. The tv tech looked at the lines and said they were heavy and seemed fine, what does that really mean? If they say there is a work order and they don't show up. The guy scheduled to help with the tv was extremely caring and helpful, very good tech, and I have seen him get up on outside lines, we live in a small town.

Anyway, time will tell to see if those adjustments affected anything. I will be testing the internet again the next couple days to see that we will no longer have the 3 second drops/intermittent issues again; something the tech cannot always see when he is there. I will be saving modem logs which have shown drops in the past. Hopefully the higher speed will help to overcome other issues with streaming up and down. Overall a very frustrating experience; with a customer who wants internet issues resolved not ignored.

New Poster

Four Technicians have already checked out my house.  How do things get escalated to the next level?

Bronze Problem Solver

They get escalated by the premis tech when he files his report to comcast about his findings. If you keep getting premis techs then they dont feel your issue is in need of a bucket truck tech and your issue most likely wont be resolved. The premis techs are not allowed to make signal adjustments or tamper with any amps ect.. They basicly dont touch anything after the tap they forward it up to the next tech level. I have had cases here were the premis tech found an issue and i had a bucket truck tech here in less then an hour and the problem was fixed. YMMV..

Diamond Problem Solver
Diamond Problem Solver

Year old thread now closed.