Community Forum

Intermittent Slow And Dropped Internet

Contributor

Intermittent Slow And Dropped Internet

This has been going on for a few week but today it's particularly bad. I am haveing intermittant slow transfer speeds with occasional drop-outs or upto 30 seconds. This is with devices connected directly to the modem, wi-fi and to a switch that is connected to the modem. All devices on the internal network ping +/- 10ms with no packet loss. These internal tests ahve been run for upto an hour at a time. I have an external monitoring service that show 100% up time so these are not disconnects. Modem logs are clean from the last week. Signal and power leves are all in the middel range of recommended leves It's mostly been happening at night. It being particularyl bad on a Saturday during the day point me in the direction of an oversubscription issue. Can I get some tier 2 support on this issue please?

Contributor

Re: Intermittent Slow And Dropped Internet

All right over the last few days, especially Sunday afternoon, the internt becomes unusable for long stretches.

Here is info from my modem ARRIS TG1682G (no other router is present):

System Log:

C_DS1.PNG

Event Log:

C_Event_Log.PNG

Firewall Log:

C_Firewall_Log.PNG

DS Signal Levels:

C_DS1.PNGC_DS2.PNGC_DS3.PNGC_DS4.PNGC_DS5.PNG

UP Signal Levels:

C_US1.PNG

CM Error Codewords:

C_CW1.PNGC_CW2.PNGC_CW3.PNGC_CW4.PNGC_CW5.PNG

Wow, Looks like image posting doesn't work! What a system!

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they need to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim, you could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Since when am I a "new poster"? I have 26 posts 6 Kudos and 1 solution.

Expert

I wouldn't know.... I'm not an employee. All I know is that I can't see your pics. This happens to new posters every day around here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Try this please.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHyTEzu

EDIT: It went down as I was composing this message.

Expert

The stats are o/k at that moment. Are there any RF error / event log entries ? If so, please post them as well.

Contributor

The logs I posted are the logs available on the modem.

Expert

They are not error log entries. They are the modem's signal status figures.

Contributor

The pics on the first row from the bottom contain the logs.

EDIT: I'll just post them individually.

https://flic.kr/p/2hseV4J

https://flic.kr/p/2hsdTFV

https://flic.kr/p/2hseV4o

New Poster

What is the normal download & upload speeds with xfinity, with no extras or upgrades
Contributor

Speed is not this issue. When working correctly I am getting 240Mbps down and 12Mbps up.

New Poster

I'm only getting 2.3 download & slightly more upload when I do a speed test
Contributor

Add packet loss and video service issues to the list.

Ping to comcast:

https://flic.kr/p/2hsi5Ji

EDITS: Down 10/8 @8:04pm

Down 10/8 @8:17pm

Down 10/8 @8:57pm

Down 10/8 @9:23pm

Contributor

Down 10/9 @11:14pm

Expert

O/k so we've seen posts here lately indicating that with a recent firmware update, the RF signal error logging function has been disabled on some of the models of the Comcast gateway devices, so you may not be able to access them.

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the connection drops indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Official Employee

Hi there, jayfish. It's frustrating to see/hear you're experiencing issues with your internet connection. We would be glad to help. We can check some additional diagnostics on this end. Please send us a PM with your name (first and last) and we will go from there.

To send a private message, please click our name "Comcast_Support" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.