Community Forum

Intermittent Internet Outage

New Poster

Intermittent Internet Outage

We have had an issue with our internet over the past year where the internet intermittently just stops.  At first we had to restart our router every single day, then every couple of days our model.  So we switched out the model and the router.  Our first modem was an older ARRIS Surfboard, we then switched to the ARRIS Surfboard SB8200.  Our first router was an asus router, than we switch to the NETGEAR - Nighthawk X6 AC3200, and now we switched to the Orbi mesh routers by netgear.  After our switch to Orbi, we didn't have to manually restart the router anymore, the internet appears to go out, but then come back by itself after a few minutes.  However, our model still needs to be restarted about once per day.  

The comcast sent out technicians and said that we were experiencing this because the cox cable to the model was loose and they left after the cables were tightened.   It didn't sound right to me because if it is a loose cable then the internet should not come back up. But, the internet was good for about a week after they came out and then it started going out again.  We thought, okay, maybe the cables came loose again, we checked and it wasn't.  We then went and got some new cables from homedepot and tightened it with a wrench.  Its REALLY REALLY tight now.  But, we are experiencing about 10 internet outages per day still. 

As a side note, we saw some Comcast people at our neighborhood internet box around the time our internet started going out again.   Not sure if it is related.  Anyways, they are sending someone back out tomorrow, but I don't really have confidence.  

I read a lot of threads of other people experiencing this problem, has anyone seen a resolution?  Please help and advice on what I can say to them to get them to realize its not my equipment nor my loose wire??

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Intermittent Internet Outage

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!