Community Forum

Intermittent Internet Connectivity through Comcast connection / Packet Loss

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Intermittent Internet Connectivity through Comcast connection / Packet Loss

multiple calls, tech replaced modem and still having intermittent problems through the Comcast connection.

There has to be something at the street or upstream happening. In the modem that has been on line for a couple days, there are hundreds of thousands of Correctable/Uncorrectable errors. Not sure if this matters, but this seems to be indicative of similar issues in the forums. I believe the numbers look good other than the errors.

I work from home, have a secondary DSL that works without issue. Problem is that this is signifcantly less bandwdith and I do not allow the family to use it. While I can technically work, the primary connection should not be this problematic.

Been in this house for 13 years and have had Comcast since we moved in because of the available capacity. If the other service provider offered higher speeds, I would probably flip and lower my spend with Comcast.

Comcast_Errors_09212018.png
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Intermittent Internet Connectivity through Comcast connection / Packet Loss

Please also post a pic of the rest of the downstream channels, and also the error log entries.

Frequent Visitor

Don't have any relevant log entries in the device. Comcast_Errors_09212018_2.pngComcast_Errors_09212018_3.png

Diamond Problem Solver

Well the signal stats are o/k but that is a lot of uncorrectable errors.  Something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

FWIW, there are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. I'm going to try referring your topic to the resident Experts here who can then escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic.

Frequent Visitor

Appreciate the help...has been aggrivating for sure.

Official Employee

Hello, TaylorHouse. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums!

I would like to take a closer look into this issue for you so I can help get this fixed. Please send me a Private Message with your full name so I can assist.

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

Frequent Visitor

I sent you a PM.

Frequent Visitor

<Edited for violating forum guidelines

...this is in reference to this problem.

Frequent Visitor

Even though I got the standard answer that this is "your problem mister customer", I still say it is a problem upstream. Yet, I am scheduled to have another replace modem person showing up no Tuesday.

Funny that my neighbor just texted asking about my service. Seems the problem is in his hosehold as well. His network must be broken also.  Things that make you go hmmm....

Frequent Visitor

...router has been online less than 24 hours. Does this many uncorrectables indicate a problem? My Comcast connection has been down as much as it has been up in the last two weeks.

Comcast_Errors_09242018_1.png

Frequent Visitor

<Edited for violating forum guidelines> Anyone else seeing similar issues? Seems to be a common thread.

Frequent Visitor

Seems difficult to get the Comcast team engaged on these issues. The books look better when they are rolling trucks and closing tickets regardless whether problems are solved.

Official Employee

TaylorHouse, 

I wanted to let you know I received your Private Message and look forward to hearing your update on this issue so I can continue to assist. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTambrey I replied to your PM. Tech came out, ran some tests, determined that everything was fine based on the numbers. He discounted the uncorrectables and mentioned that "they" would not look at this. I told him that in the morning it would be offline. Here we are, at 06:00 and the connection is offline. Exteremely frustrating...

Look forward to the response in three days.....

Comcast_Errors_09262018_1.png

Frequent Visitor

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with my side of the responsibility...  i.e. my house, since everything tested good to your device yesterday.

Comcast_Errors_09262018_2.png

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTambrey Quick reboot of Comcast Xfinity device...voila! ...connection back online.

Comcast_Errors_09262018_3.png

Frequent Visitor

I now have a device directly connected with Cacti running to log connectivity changes. Bridge mode has been disabled to aleviate that contention. Still having issues...but I have limited the test scope...

My internal network is now like "fight club"...

Official Employee

Hey, TaylorHouse!
I just got back into the office for the day, I'm glad to see your modem came back online after the reboot. I can see the uptime on your modem is about 9-10 hours. How is that test you've been running looking?

Frequent Visitor

morning @ComcastTambrey, looks like it is offline as we speak.

Comcast_Errors_09272018_1.png

Here are my modem stats..

Comcast_Errors_09272018_2.pngComcast_Errors_09272018_3.png

..so it is safe to assume that the Comcast service I am paying for is still not fully operational. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTambrey, the connection has been worse today. Pretty much unusable. This has to be visibile somewhere within the Comcast network. There is another visit scheduled for tomorrow to continue this journey. At this point, my faith in the consumer market that Comcast is servicing is fading. The reality is that even with Business, the infrastructure is the same. 

Official Employee

TaylorHouse, 

I can definitely see the same things you are. I am still seeing a very high number of timeouts. Unfortunately, while I may be able to see the issues, we can't see the exact cause remotely. I understand having multiple tech visits is frustrating, but sending another tech out is going to be the best next step. I will keep an eye on the work being done and check in again after your visit. 

Frequent Visitor

Three techs out on this latest call and still have not resolved. Current outage over 9 hours and counting. Severely disappointed....

Comcast_Outage_9_Hours.png