Community Forum

Intermittent Connection Problems

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Intermittent Connection Problems

For about a couple weeks I've been having a problem of the internet dropping for about 5-10 seconds at seemingly random times on both wired and wireless devices. My modem doesn't turn off or go through a reset, my home network will still be connected, and the internet will come right back after the few seconds but it's just long enough to disrupt the connection on anything I'm doing with the internet. After the internet comes back up my download speed tanks on my pc, going down to single digits, and the only way to fix it is to replug the ethernet cable in the back. I thought it was just my pc, but my phone loses connection to wifi at the same time.

Also something strange I've noticed, every time I run a speed test it shows an incorrect speed. For example I'll start a speed test on Google and it shows an average of about 25mbps while I'm actually downloading things at around 150.

Expert

Re: Intermittent Connection Problems

Have you first tried powercycling / re-starting the device ? No joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior. If you do indeed factory reset it, you will lose any customized settings and they will need to be reconfigured from scratch.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I have tried powercycling many times and did a hard reset earlier, but the connection is still cutting out. Speed tests are still showing incorrect readings as well.

Official Employee

ChanceBox, thanks for reaching out here on the forums! I'd be happy to help with the intermittent issues you're running into. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I can take a further look at this with you? 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!