Community Forum

Intermittant Connection, New Modem, Phone Support horrible!!

Frequent Visitor

Intermittant Connection, New Modem, Phone Support horrible!!

This is not my first extremely horrible phone support experience with Comcast.  I am seeking help from you guys to try to figure this out.  My symptoms are as follows.  I believe my subscription speeds are supposed to be 70/10 or maybe 60/10 and right now I am getting 70 down and 6 up.  My neighbors get 12 up which I would LOVE to have since upload is WAY more important to me than download.  I have never been able to get more than 5-6 up.  That is not the biggest problem or even the point of this post.  I also have intermittant connection issues where the internet will completley just go out.  I have attached a laptop to the modem and seen a ping test complete successfully on the modem, but not a web address.  During phone support the problem went away of course.  After painfully going through all the BS of resetting the modem with their signal, power cycling myself (had already done) and trying to describe to the woman that I ALREADY have a ping session going I dont need you to spell out for me how to do it.... (just reading from her script instead of listening to me) I finally hung up after being told they had "looked at my wifi and it seems good" (physically impossible since my modem was plugged into a laptop) and that "advanced support looked at the modem and see no connection issue history" and that I needed to call the manufacture of the modem.  Now this modem is a BRAND NEW Motorola 6190 that I bought specifically because of this problem.  I previously had a 6121 that exhibited the same behavior but I knew from past experiences that Xfinity will NOT help you whatsoever when they find out you are using a 6121 even though the EoL is supposed to only be for their leased devices.  So I bought a brand new 6190, and still have the issues just so I didn't have to hear their BS about the 6121.

Rant Over.  I sincerley appreciate any help you guys can give me with this issue or insite on how to get help from Comcast.  Thanks in advance. 

Motorola 6190, Internet only service.  Outside wire is plugged into my modem, no TV service, no splitters, nothing.  Simple.  Here are some screen snips of the relevant screens I think you will ask for.  ANY help with this situation is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

System Info.JPGStatus.JPGDownstream 1.JPGDownstream 2 and Upstream.JPGSnip.JPGInkedError Log 4.8.2018_LI.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Re: Intermittant Connection, New Modem, Phone Support horrible!!

And here is the kind of stuff I get.  Sometimes it comes right back, sometimes it will go on for 10 minutes, etc  ping.JPG

PS Dropped out again trying upload this picture....

Diamond Problem Solver

Frequent Visitor

Well that's frustrating to see after spending money on a new modem.  Thank you for the info and I will keep an eye on that subject, however I don't believe my issue is related to this.  My connection issues occured even with my 6121 (which I still have) and I am not talking about ping statistics, jitter, etc.  Im talking about cold hard no-internet sometimes for 20 seconds, sometimes for 10 minutes or until I intervene, rebooot modem, dance before the Xfninity gods, and never really figure out why it dropped. 

How about that error log did you get to see it?  Are all those error entries normal?  They keep pouring in.  In this little time frame the messages in my origional post are flushed with new entries.  All "No Ranging REsponse recieved -T3 timeout" and "Lost MDD Timeout" as well as "RCS Partial Service"

Thanks again for help

Diamond Problem Solver

There are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. You may need to ask for a tier 2 rep to get them. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Frequent Visitor

I will try that.  Thank you very much

Expert

Hi @achalmersman

I wouldn't advise you to call back in since you've already tried phone support. Even if you could obtain some further values, they aren't much use to you. 

I've asked a corporate employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hello achalmersman. I can assist in troubleshooting your upload speed and connectivity issues. I'd like to start with polling the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. I can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you comcastJoe I sent a PM. 

I started pingplotter 2 days ago.  Here is 2 examples.

Pingplot 1.JPGPingplot 24 hrs.JPG