Community Forum

Interested in using MOCA.

Regular Visitor

Interested in using MOCA.

Are there any guides for setting up MOCA on an Xfinity network. I need to get a hard line in my basement. I have a COAX drop down there that I am not using any more. It was previously used for a cable box. I currently have a Technicolor CGM4140COM for my gateway and wanted to know what equipment I needed to buy to get MOCA to work.

Expert

Re: Interested in using MOCA.

Just make sure MoCA is enabled and you have a MoCA POE filter before the first splitter in your home. After that buy your MoCA device. If you buying an extender or MoCA to Ethernet, I would recommend either the Actiontec ECB6200 (Ethernet) or the Actiontec WCB6200 (wireless extender over MoCA). I have had the same exact gateway MoCA never worked properly on it even after several replacements so all I can say with that gateway is good luck making it work.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

So the filter would be outside of my house on the main line coming in? And I need to to get a bonded pair of the MOCA Ethernet adapters with one before the modem and another one on the drop where I need Ethernet Port? Do I need certain spec of a MOCA filter?
Expert

Bonded MoCA 2.0 is just the specification of the devices support for MoCA which is up to 1 Gbps. Yes,  just a MoCA POE filter is needed, preferably right before the first splitter you have. Also, you might be able to get away with regular splitters, but you may want to consider replacing splitters with MoCA compliant splitters.  How are you trying to set it up. You might only need one MoCA and not the twin pack, if just for one room, but since the Technicolor XB6 MoCA doesn't work correctly, you might need the twin pack to get MoCA to work in an alternate way like Test #2 stated in the following website links.

https://actiontecsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000505046-How-can-I-test-the-MoCA-adapters...

https://actiontecsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000517086-How-can-I-test-the-MoCA-adapters...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Ok. I just checked and I think I have a MOCA filter because I have xFi. I will try the suggest adapters. Some time next week.