Community Forum

Insufficient Bandwidth To Stream Video in HD

Regular Visitor

Insufficient Bandwidth To Stream Video in HD

I was watching a video stream from Amazon last night and I selected the HD option as I have more than enough bandwidth and speed to handle this selection.  However, about 20 minutes into the movie and several times during the movie, it was interrupted with a message that said there wasn't enough bandwidth for HD and asked if I wanted to switch to a lower resolution.  I decided not to as I paid extra to watch the video in HD.

Now I have the 105 Mps from Comcast and when I do checks on using speedtest.net I always get 105+ .  Now I'm watching these videos between 11PM and 2AM.  Is there something going on wih the system that interfers with the bandwidth at that time?  I'm curious as there has been supposition that Comcast has been throtling various steaming services because they want a tiered internet system. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Insufficient Bandwidth To Stream Video in HD

Had the same problem, unplugged my router, and reset the comcast modem solved the problem for me!

Expert

tboome wrote:

supposition that Comcast has been throtling various steaming services because they want a tiered internet system. 

Nah, Comcast isn't throttling Amazon's video streams. If you can post more details about your equipment and set up we may be able to help. Start here: 
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/125...

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Gambit66 wrote:

Had the same problem, unplugged my router, and reset the comcast modem solved the problem for me!

Gambit66 wrote:

I am also receiving insufficient bandwidth message when watching Amazon Prime.  It's random, meaning anytime of day or night. Turning off all devices connected to Xfinity didn't help. Disconnecting cable from the back of modem and doing the same for power source on modem for 30 seconds to one minute helped--for about one hour. Then, the images go out of HD, blur significantly, message appears, get booted off and signal shuts off Samsung HD TV. Ensure that TV software is up to date under SETTINGS. Checking other settings on and will post if find any other useful information. 

New Poster

Was this ever actually solved?  I see several suggestions, but no indication that they worked.  I ask because we have the same problem, and keep getting error messages from amazon saying insufficient bandwidth.  Powercycling the gateway helps for perhaos 30 minutes, and then the problem happens again.  Performance Pro internet says speeds are up to 100 mbps downloads; speedtest tells me we are getting around 91, and I'm not sure this is a dramatic enougg to make a difference.

Diamond Problem Solver

16 month old dead thread now being closed. Please feel free to start a new topic detailing your issue.