Community Forum

Install Xfinity Internet Without Wall Outlet

New Poster

Install Xfinity Internet Without Wall Outlet

Hi, everyone.

I have requested Internet Essentials this week and am scheduled for professional installation this coming Monday.

I reside in a Single Room Occupancy hotel which is wired for Comcast cable. The coax comes in my room's window, runs along the rear wall and turns into the side wall, where it appears to disappear into the wall, presumably into the next room. There is NO wall jack with a coax connector in my room.

How will the Comcast installer proceed? Will he be tapping the coax cable, attaching a connector, then running a separate coax cable from the connector to the Internet modem? Or does he require attaching a wall outlet?

The reason I ask is that I don't know yet if the hotel allows Comcast to attach wall outlets to the rooms. I will be checking that tomorrow (manager is out right now), but it occurred to me that if the coax runs from room to room, obviously there would be no way to cut the cable to attach it to a wall outlet as that would break the connection to the next room if, as I believe, the cable goes from room to room.

In other words, I assume that the install in my room just requires access to the coax and not a wall outlet. Is that likely to be correct?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Install Xfinity Internet Without Wall Outlet

From a techs point of view, if it’s me, if signal levels allow I would split that coax that disappears to also feed your service

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Not sure I understand your reply.

With Internet Essentials, I assume I'm only getting Internet and no TV (which I don't use anyway.)

Or do you mean that the tech will cut the cable on my side, then put a splitter on it with one side going to my Internet modem, and the other through the wall into the other room? That would make sense to me.

Diamond Problem Solver

Yes, the second part. After the split, one line going to your modem and the other to the mystery room

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

So, no need for a wall outlet install, just a splitter, then? That's the main thing I needed to know.

Diamond Problem Solver

I wouldn’t worry about wall plate. As you described, some buildings that are retrofitted it’s impossible to get cable to in traditional ways.