Community Forum

Increasing timeouts in Event log.

Contributor

Increasing timeouts in Event log.

A few months in with Xfinity, and the the first 50 + days, completely clear Event Log, which I know doesn't have to be clear to warrant good service, but started getting timeouts, and they have been increasing a bit. 17 yesterday. Feels like AT& T all over again. All brand new cable, connectors, none exposed to the elements. Don't understand it at all. I do satellite internet for a living too, so I know all about cabling and whatnot.

2019-02-12_074910.jpg
Contributor

Re: Increasing timeouts in Event log.

Other stats.

2019-02-12_073949.jpg
2019-02-12_074001.jpg
Expert

Are you actually experiencing any connectivity problems, or are you just focusing on the log entries ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Adding to EG, it doesn’t look like anything has changed from when you last posted 2 months ago, are you having issues
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Increasing-timeouts-in-Event-log/m-p/3194765#M297408

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

He needs to add some splitters (or an attenuator) to bring down that downstream power level as 10dB is WAY to high. His levels are good either than that from what we can see. Add a 7.5 5 way and then reset the log file and see what happens, I bet that fixes it.

Expert

No it's not. It is within spec, albeit on the high side. They did not confirm that they were actually having any connectivity issues. And "splitters" should never be used instead of attenuators.. Use the right tool for the job. 7.5 dB of additional attenuation would push the upstream power up by as much and bring it close to the edge. There wouldn't be much wiggle room left.

A 7dB attenuator is not needed. *If* it were really needed, a 3 dB attenuator would knock it down enough. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I know for a fact that Xfinity no longer uses attenuators anymore here in South Florida. Techs are told to add splitters to makeup the difference. I agree with you EG, when the tech first told me I was taken aback, but then I asked the next two techs (3 in total all Xfinity and not OCP or other 3rd party contractors) and they all said the same thing, attenuators are done, at least in my area. I think this is ridiculous as is can cause other issues. They simply have them cap off the other feeds on the splitter with plastic screw caps, lol. What a joke...

Also I've seen some modems give severe problems with a level as high as 10dB, but it is within +-15.

5th

Expert

@FifthE1ement wrote:

I know for a fact that Xfinity no longer uses attenuators anymore here in South Florida. Techs are told to add splitters to makeup the difference.

If so, that would be wrong to do. Your word again... Got creds ? 

They simply have them cap off the other feeds on the splitter with plastic screw caps, lol. What a joke...

They are likely to be 75 ohm terminators which would be proper to use. not just "plastic caps".

Also I've seen some modems give severe problems with a level as high as 10dB, but it is within +-15.

Your word. Are you a field tech with much experience ? How many have you actually seen ?

Contributor

@EG wrote:

@FifthE1ement wrote:

I know for a fact that Xfinity no longer uses attenuators anymore here in South Florida. Techs are told to add splitters to makeup the difference.

If so, that would be wrong to do. Your word again... Got creds ? 

They simply have them cap off the other feeds on the splitter with plastic screw caps, lol. What a joke...

They are likely to be 75 ohm terminators which would be proper to use. not just "plastic caps".

Your word. Are you a field tech with much experience ? How many have you actually seen ?

Well, tomorrow when the tech comes I will record my conversation with him, this will mark the 4th tech to my home. I will then upload it here. Why would I lie? I'll take a video so you can actually see it a Xfinity rep. And they are not 75ohm terminators, they are clear plastic caps that slid over the threads (did not screw in). And I was a tech ten years ago, but no longer.

Expert

@FifthE1ement wrote:

Why would I lie?

No one said that you were a "liar.

And they are not 75ohm terminators, they are clear plastic caps that slid over the threads (did not screw in).

If so, that's wrong.

And I was a tech ten years ago, but no longer.

So you say. How can it be verified on the internet ? I could be a brain surgeon if I wanted to be. Just sayin'. A lot has changed in 10 years.....

I will then upload it here. 

No. Please don't. This is someone else's ongoing help thread. As you were told by a Comcast employee yesterday, please don't hijack other poster's threads.....

Contributor

@EG wrote:

They did not confirm that they were actually having any connectivity issues.

I have had some brief buffering a couple times on Netflix, and with the speeds I'm paying for, and proximity of the television, there shouldn't be any. I don't necessarily call that an "issue", but could be one beginning to develop.

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Adding to EG, it doesn’t look like anything has changed from when you last posted 2 months ago, are you having issues
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Increasing-timeouts-in-Event-log/m-p/3194765#M297408

Um yeah, it has changed since I posted a couple months ago. I had 50+ days with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, then  started seeing a few timeouts. And yeah, I posted, as all of a sudden, I was starting to see a few, and wasn't sure. They have gradually increased, and there 17 on the day in question. You going to tell me that's acceptable?? Serious question, <Edited> And yeah, I have had some buffering a couple times with Netflix, anmd with the speeds I'm paying for, there should be none. I do this type of work for a living, so I'm not ignorant to this stuff either.

Contributor

@EG wrote:

Are you actually experiencing any connectivity problems, or are you just focusing on the log entries ?

I'm not "focusing" on any one thing, I'm keeping an eye on it, as the timeouts have increased. I came here to ask if it's a problem, as I didn't have any for the first couple months. And there has been a buffering a couple times on Netflix. I am going to be proactive, as I'm paying for it, and had many issues with AT&T, so I'm keeping my eye on it for a while. I don't yet know what is or isn't a problem, but I do know the timeouts have increased.

Expert

O/k I completely understand about being proactive ! For myself, I wouldn't have it any other way !!!

So your signal stat figures look o/k. And there are no uncorrectable errors. 

If this is a WiFi connection to your TV, that can open up another can of worms. For a test, if that TV has ethernet capability, try a hardwired connection to your router and see if the problem still exists.

Contributor

@EG wrote:

O/k I completely understand about being proactive ! For myself, I wouldn't have it any other way !!!

So your signal stat figures look o/k. And there are no uncorrectable errors. 

If this is a WiFi connection to your TV, that can open up another can of worms. For a test, if that TV has ethernet capability, try a hardwired connection to your router and see if the problem still exists.

It is wifi, and it's happened on both tv's one being very close proximity with no obstructions. It could very well be a wifi issue, and I intend to run ethernet through the attic, and do a wall fish to both, fairly soon, just because.....I can, and it's not super hard, and already know which wall cavities, as coax is already in both. That said, I'd have to lay ethernet right across the living room floor, and it's only been maybe three times, so it's not often enough to warrant that type of test, or I would.

That said, the ONLY reason I'm a little concerned, is because for almost 2 months, the event logs were clear. I know they don't have to be clear to indicate a good connection, but they went from clear, to some timeouts, to significantly more, at least the other day. Don't quote me, but I think it was you that said something like it takes 16 timeouts to lose sync....something like that. I had 17 the other day, all spread  out. I havn't lost sync once since it was installed, nor had any uncorrectables, so that's good.

I guess a better way to ask is......at what point would it qualify as a problem that needs to be addressed? I mean, can you have 100 timeouts in a day, and as long as you haven't lost sync, or reduced speeds, it's no biggie, or??? I simply don't know.

A while back, I posted on DSL Reports, and a Comcast tech in Florida looked me up by MAC address, and said everything looked good, and that my neighbor next door, at 600, has some issues, and that could affect me, but I'm not on the same tap as the neighbor who's address he told me, it's the neighbor on the other side of me, and she's not even with Xfinity any more, so can't be her.

I know I could still be overthinking this a bit, but I got so used to checking this stuff, and dealing with it, with AT&T, it's hard not to. Granted, this annihilates the AT&T service away, and there were actual issues with AT&T, quite often, so maybe that hasn't left me yet. They literally replaced everything but the kitchen sink, and it was fairly stable, but just hit and miss sometimes.

Anyway.......

Expert

@acillatem wrote:

so it's not often enough to warrant that type of test, or I would.

Understood but understand that this would prove to be a valuable test to determine whether this is a WiFi only, or a general connectivity with the Comcast system problem. Though the recent log entries indicate something has changed with the connection since there were none before.

like it takes 16 timeouts to lose sync....something like that. I had 17 the other day, all spread  out. 

O/k, FYI, it takes 16 consecutive T-3's for the modem to reset its cable interface and restart the registration process., but this shows up as a single T-3 log entry / occurence.

I guess a better way to ask is......at what point would it qualify as a problem that needs to be addressed? I mean, can you have 100 timeouts in a day, and as long as you haven't lost sync, or reduced speeds, it's no biggie, or??? I simply don't know.

Right. The true problem would be if / when you you are actually experiencing something that interrupts your internet enjoyment experience.

Here is some info on T-3 and T-4 errors;

3-Critical R2.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 timeout:

Explanation. The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also lower the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process.
Recommended Action No action is needed if this is an occasional problem. Check the upstream transmit power for the cable modem to see if it is at or near the maximum allowable levels. Check the RF plant for cabling or connector issues that could generate sufficient noise to lose MAC-layer management messages.

3-Critical H501.8 HFC: T4 Timer Expired:

Explanation. The cable modem did not receive a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system.
Recommended Action for your Provider: Check the configuration on the CMTS. Check the cable plant for RF connector or cabling issues that could be generating noise on the downstream and upstream.

Contributor

Thanks for the info.

I get what you're saying about testing the wifi, just that it's not ideal to have an ethernet cable laying across the floor, to test the one tv, and impossible to test the other. They will both be harwired before too terribly long anyway.

I agree that it seems somethimng has changed, just curious what. Every inch of cable, from modem to the pedestal, is brand new. The connector at the pedestal, is covered, not exposed to weather. The ground block is in an enclosure, same thing. The only other connector is at the modem. Nothing has touched any of this, yet the the timeouts have appeared and seemed to have increased. But, only 4 yesterday, 7 so far again today.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it, and see what happens.

Contributor

Fine for first few months, now uncorrectables, and higher signal levels

I've posted before about concerns with event log entries, along with some correctables and no uncorrectables, but was told as long as it wasn't service impacting, it wasn't anything to worry about. It stayed that away for at least 3 months, still hasn't lost sync, and I don't check modem stats every day, but for fun, I did tonight. Signal levels are now a bit higher, and quite a few uncorrectables, that I never had at all. This is recent.

For whatever it''s worth, there was a Comcast van across the street, in the cul de sac, earlier today. He's have no reason to touch the pedestal I'm connected to, but could anything he was doing, perhaps cause this? Just asking.

Feels like AT&T all over again.

Any input/feedback appreciated.

2019-03-20_225022.jpg
2019-03-20_225041.jpg
Expert

Re: Fine for first few months, now uncorrectables, and higher signal levels

Stats are still in spec. Errors are cumulative and add up over time if there are no re-boots. And they are low.  Again, if you are not having any connectivity problems there is no need for concern....

Contributor

I've heard from some people that those power levels are high. And I know the errors are cumulative. The correctables are not my concern. Up until the last week or so, I had ZERO uncorrectables. Zero. I know I have checked for a week or so, so I know the uncorrectables are recent.

Contributor

And who are you, and why did you move my post, and lock the other thread? Do you work for Comcast??

Expert

You still don't seem to be getting THE BOTTOM LINE. Don't obsess. Life is too short. I'm out. Good luck !! Smiley Happy No. I'm not an employee. Your post was moved to your original subject because it is the same topic as before. If there is an issue with the moderating, you can take it up with the forum Administrator here @ComcastJessie.

Contributor

I asked you a question. Who are you, and why are you moving my stuff around. And yes, my power levels are on the high side, and the uncorrectables came up all of a sudden, so there has to be a reason for that.

Contributor

No, it's not the same topic as before. My other topic was about event log entries, so it's not the same. And yeah, I do have an issue with you, and I will take it up the administrator.

Contributor

@EG 

I appreciate your input, and sorry if I came off like a jerk last night. Had other stuff going on as well, and was in a bad mood. I'm just being ptroactive with this stuff. Maybe my guard is still up, as AT&T was a constant problem. They spent 5 months coming to my house to finally fix a losing sync issue. Over 19 different techs. Theses uncorrectables came up all of a sudden, and my power levels increased a bit too, and I was told around 10 is kind of high, so that's what had me concerned too.

But again, I apologize, and hope there are no hard feelings.

Expert

Accepted. Good luck ! Don't sweat it unless you are actually having connectivity / speed issues. Bottom line. "If it ain't broke, there is no need to fix it". 

Contributor

Trust me, I get what you're saying on that. At first, I checked the stats and event logs all the time, just because. Probably gun shy from AT&T. I haven't lately. The timeouts concerned me for a bit as you know, but got over that.

The ONLY reason the uncorrectables stood out, was that for three plus months, they were all at zero. And then I saw that my power levels were a bit higher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ideally, shouldn't those power levels be in the low single digits? That's what I've been told. Just askin. I've had people suggest I put a splitter on the line, and I'm hesitant to do that.

Expert

From the troubleshooting tips sticky topic;

Check your signal levels

You can view a video on how to view your power levels. The video is also at the bottom of this page. 

To view your modem’s status page go to http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1

If you have an Xfinity gateway device,  the default username is admin and the default password is password.

Downstream Power Levels: -8dBmV to  +10dBmV

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR):  >35dB 

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

NoteSignal level parameters may vary slightly between different localities. The information in the chart above is intended to be a general guideline. Not all modems will allow you to view the status page and some will have different URLs to access this info. If you are unable to access your modem’s status page, you can contact Comcast Customer Support and ask the support representative for these values. 

Up to plus +10 is o/k. You can try using a 3dB attenuator if you wish to knock it down some but don't go any higher as it will start to push your upstream power up to borderline levels. It's always a balancing act between the up and the down power levels when adding overall line attenuation.

Contributor

@EG 

Thanks.

Well, as you can see, now, most of my power levels are over 10, and quite a few over 11. They were all less than 10, or 10 max, a few days ago.

If it was you, would you still consider 11 ok, or would you try an attenuator?

And if so, any certain brand that is the best, and it goes anywhere between the ground block and modem, yes?

And thank you.

Contributor

I may be splitting hairs, but I do know that this company makes quality stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/In-Line-Attenuator-3-dB-1/dp/B0002ZPIUU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=FV2UR0AXAQUF&keywords...

On a couple reviews, people said it only knocked it down 1db. Could be other factors, but that said, would it be smart to order maybe a 6db as well, just in case that happens, and I need to "experiment"?

Expert

@acillatem wrote:

@EG 

Thanks.

Well, as you can see, now, most of my power levels are over 10, and quite a few over 11. They were all less than 10, or 10 max, a few days ago.

If it was you, would you still consider 11 ok, or would you try an attenuator?

That's only 1 dB over. And technically, the front end receiver of a modem is designed to be able to handle a max of +15 dB before being considered to be over-driven.

And if so, any certain brand that is the best, and it goes anywhere between the ground block and modem, yes?

Here's a good one that I use myself;

https://www.amazon.com/3db-Coax-Cable-Attenuator-each/dp/B0013L69D2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_lp_t_2?_encod...

Just put it at the back of the modem.

Expert

@acillatem wrote:

On a couple reviews, people said it only knocked it down 1db. Could be other factors, but that said, would it be smart to order maybe a 6db as well, just in case that happens, and I need to "experiment"?

Any attenuator values that I've ever used did / do  as their label states. 

Again, bear in mind the upstream power level figure. You'll want to keep it below 50-51 dB.

Contributor

Gotcha, on both replies!

I might order a 6db too, just for fun. They're not all that expensive. On the PPC 6db one, a few people said it didn't change the upstream at all. Not sure I believe that, as I've heard people say exactly what you said.....that it does.

Contributor

Out of curiosity.....what does that filter that is attached to the ground block do? I think it's called a MOCA filter, yes? Is it something to do with TV only? I simply don't know what it does, that's all.

Expert

If you have any MoCA enabled devices on your home coax network, it keeps the RF MoCA signals from leaving your premises and interfering with your neighbors (and vice-versa).

Contributor

I only have the Motorola modem. I'm assuming no harm can come from it being there, even if not needed, correct?

Expert

Remove it and see what happens. Why have an additional point of failure in the mix if it is not needed for anything.

Contributor

So am I correct in assuming that with internet only, and just a modem, it's not "necessary"?

Also, what's your opinion on a forward path attenuator?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07882H96R/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1UA1XH4C0MK0D&psc=1

Not supposed to affect upstream.

Expert

@acillatem wrote:

So am I correct in assuming that with internet only, and just a modem, it's not "necessary"?

Yes.

Also, what's your opinion on a forward path attenuator?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07882H96R/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1UA1XH4C0MK0D&psc=1

Not supposed to affect upstream.

An excellent solution to the overall attenuation problem ! I used to recommend them all the time a while back but they were hard to get in this country... Not so much anymore it looks like. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks! And for putting up with me, haha. While some of this may not be critical/necessary, it also wouldn't hurt to drop that power a tad, and it's no biggie to add an attenuator, to see what happens. Easy stuff. Put it right on the modem, correct, or would the weight be too much on that port?

Expert

I've had an attenuator pad on the back of my modems for years. No problems.

Contributor

Thanks. Looks like a common sense type thing......with this "extension on the back of the modem, just don't bump it, haha.