Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Inconsistent Connectivity

New Poster

Inconsistent Connectivity

As of late my internet connection seems to be kind of spotty. I've done extensive troubleshooting to the problems and im starting to run out of solutions. I would like to resort to calling for a tech visit as my final option.

- I lose internet connection but all lights on the modem are on and fine, I restart modem and it fails to connect US/DS. Forced to call tech support to get back online. Tech support gets me back on.

-1 hour later, lose it again. Decide it might be on my end. Do some looking around and deem my splitter faulty and remove it from my wall line and go without X1 TV for having an actual internet connection. Internet works fine for about 1 month while using a direct line into the wall with a coax.

- Modem starts randomly restarting during my hours of use late at night and into after hours. I decide maybe this coax line is bad because it was squeezed between my wall and computer desk and kept restarting the modem almost every 10-30 minutes. No visible damage on the outside other than some dirt from the point it was wedged. Replace it anyway because it's old. So far with different coax cable connected(about half length of old one) 1.5ft or so connection seems stable as of this posting.

- I am not sure if my modem's upstream/downstream levels are too blame? I read all the information I could and it seems this can be a reason for my modem randomly restarting itself but I wanted to help in understanding what it should be. I have xfinity blast and the modem is an all in one modem/router/phone connection. Cisco DPC3941T

these were my upstream/downstream stats as of this posting.Capture.PNG

Expert

Re: Inconsistent Connectivity

The upstream power is borderline / too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems. If none of the below tips apply then book a tech to investigate. The problem may lie beyond your premises. Good luck !

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.