Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Improving/Upgrading Upload Speeds

New Poster

Improving/Upgrading Upload Speeds

Hi.

I'm a YouTube creator and make 4K content. While Comcast offers incredible speeds for downloading (thanks, Comcast!), their upload speeds leave a lot to be desired for me. In short, 4K videos can be rather large, 20-30gb for a single video and even more depending on the length. Uploading a 20gb video takes quite awhile, obviously, when your speed is around 20Mb/s. So, I was wondering if there was a package or option offered by Comcast to improve the upload speeds? I have the fastest internet package they offer in residential, some 200/20Mb/s or so, and I'm hoping if I do have to upgrade to some business package that it doesn't cost a fortune. The interesting thing is that Verizon offers 75/75Mb/s packages, and while the 75Mb/s download speed is very low compared to Comcast's offering, the 75Mb/s upload is incredible in comparison.

Any ideas of what I can do? I also have the best router they offer, am wired directly to it and other devices aren't really using the upload capacity. Thanks!

- A llama

Frequent Visitor

Re: Improving/Upgrading Upload Speeds

All though I do not have an answer to your question about a package with faster upload speeds, I do have some input in regards to your comment about the router.

Having the "Best" router shouldn't affect your upload speed, especially since you are wired directly to it. This is regulated by the modem. Do you have an older modem or is your modem a modem/router combo? The modem would be the device that could potentially throttle your upload speeds. The speeds that modems are capable of handling for Downloading and Uploading are dependent on thier number of down/up channels. You will have to search your modem model number to find out what the channel bonding is and to see what it's maximum upload capabilities are.

For example, a modem with 16x4 channel bonding has 16 channels for downloading and 4 for uploads so by upgrading to a modem with 24x8 channel bonding may allow better performance.

New Poster

Interesting. By "best" I just meant the best modem/router that Comcast offers right now. And yeah, it's the modem/router combo. I couldn't remember the precise name of it but it's brand new and was recently upgraded by Comcast to comply with their increase in speeds in my area.

Expert

Wsakin wrote:

For example, a modem with 16x4 channel bonding has 16 channels for downloading and 4 for uploads so by upgrading to a modem with 24x8 channel bonding may allow better performance.

FWIW, Comcast doesn't offer eight bonded upstream channels anywhere, only 4. The current upstream frequency bandwidth spectrum on DOCSIS is limited. So having a eight upstream channel capable modem is pointless.

Here is an unofficial idea of the currently available speed tiers;

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

Expert

Here is an informative article about the future for the upstream bandwidth capability for DOCSIS based systems;

http://www.multichannel.com/news/distribution/comcast-eyes-upstream-expansion-it-pulls-fiber-deeper/...

The do offer a 2 gigabit (with symmetrical speeds) FTTH (Fiber To The Home) service in some areas.

Frequent Visitor

I have the gigabit package, and the Docis 3.1 XB6 modem, and I feel that I pay dearly (not a good value!) for it!  While I do enjoy 900+ meg downloads, Xfinity has relegated the upload to a paltry 35-40 meg. I'm sure that this is by design, as Xfinity has not a real business reason to offer that kind of bandwidth from the home. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe that there are several reasons upload speeds are so anemic.  1. They have been, first and foremost, a cable tv company, and their first allegiance is to their stockholders and their programming suppliers, so download speed only will continue to be king. (It gives the customer the illusion that they're getting something) 2. RG-11 and RG-6 cables are already run, and to replace them with fiber would cost money. (fiber to the home would be the path to faster uploads). 3. They, mistakenly, believe that their customers "don't need upload bandwidth".  4.  It is true, that many customers don't understand the value of a robust upload, so Comcast capitalizes on that.  5. Until market conditions change, like the addition of competition, customer complaints, loss of subscribers....etc. They will not improve the product, especially internet upload bandwidth.  6. The bottom line is, it costs money!  They'll probably get there, but not until they've rung out all profit from their existing infrastructure.

On an interesting sidenote..... I actually received an email from Xfinity   detailing the advantages of a fiber connection! Further, they sang its praises as a cost effective, and very effective way to amazing bandwidth! This was a completely different story from 2-3 years ago! See    https://www.xfinity.com/hub/internet/what-is-fiber-optic?rid=11004392&mid=20180119_AdHoc_CM_CX_Dedic...

The above article was almost unbelieveable, coming from Xfinity! Now..... How about someone from Xfinity steps from behind their "iron curtain", who actually makes real decisions, gets on this forum to answer our/your question? That, would be impressive!

Good Luck!

Expert

Eight month old dead thread now being closed.