Community Forum

IPv6 - stateless or stateful?

Regular Contributor

IPv6 - stateless or stateful?

My Asus RT-N66U router offers a choice of stateless or stateful auto configuration for  IPv6, but doesn't explain what that means.

Which should I choose, and what difference would it make? The default appears to be stateless.

Authorized Vendor

Re: IPv6 - stateless or stateful?

isnt DHCPv6 the option? http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4862  all about IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration..  Great read Smiley Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6 also works..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Regular Contributor

Wow, you pointed me to an RFC! I haven't seen one of those in years! It made my head spin. In fact, IPv6 makes my head spin in general.

OBTW, I was in the 1978 Arpanet directory. It was a paper book of everyone on the net who had an email address. It was about 1/2 inch thick.

DHCPv6 is no longer the option at least in the Merlin firmware. I haven't checked the Asus firmware.

2014-03-25 16_13_08-ASUS Wireless Router RT-N66U - IPv6.png

Authorized Vendor

Alamo_Bob wrote:

Wow, you pointed me to an RFC! I haven't seen one of those in years! It made my head spin. In fact, IPv6 makes my head spin in general.

Looks like you got it.. 2601:: is the Comcast PD space..  So you have a PD on your LAN..  You should be good to go..

And yes the RFC was a fun to read..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

I've got that same router (Asus RT-N66U) with Merlin firmware installed and also have been wondering whether to use stateless or stateful for my home network. There will be 5 or 6 devices served by my router at any given time, some ipv6 capable, some older ones that only do ipv4.

I've reset the router with both stateless and stateful selected, and I don't notice any connectivity or performance issues with either option.

Alamo_Bob, why did you settle on a Stateful configuration? How do I determine which setting will be best for my home network? Does it even matter?

p.s. Thanks for the links to the docs, but I'm affraid they are beyond my comprehension of the technicalities of IPv6.

Regular Contributor

vanwolf wrote:

I've got that same router (Asus RT-N66U) with Merlin firmware installed and also have been wondering whether to use stateless or stateful for my home network. There will be 5 or 6 devices served by my router at any given time, some ipv6 capable, some older ones that only do ipv4.

I've reset the router with both stateless and stateful selected, and I don't notice any connectivity or performance issues with either option.

Alamo_Bob, why did you settle on a Stateful configuration? How do I determine which setting will be best for my home network? Does it even matter?

p.s. Thanks for the links to the docs, but I'm affraid they are beyond my comprehension of the technicalities of IPv6.

I didn't settle on Stateful. I just clicked Stateful so the pool options would become visible for the illustration.

I still don't know the answer. The technical docs were beyone me, too. I'm staying with Stateless because it seems to work.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Alamo_Bob,

I'm sticking with stateless too for now, same reason: it works, and I don't understand the difference or why I would switch to stateful for a small home network on Comcast IPv6.

Silver Problem Solver

vanwolf wrote:

Thanks Alamo_Bob,

I'm sticking with stateless too for now, same reason: it works, and I don't understand the difference or why I would switch to stateful for a small home network on Comcast IPv6.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/03/03/dhcpv6-understanding-of-address-configuration...

Windows (and most likely other OS) clients use stateless IPv6 DHCP by default. There would be no reason to select stateful unless (if I am reading that article correctly) you intended to have more control over the IPv6 addresses of the clients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks, kevj. That article was a little easier to read.

Regular Visitor

statefull is like stactic ip stateless is like dhcp

Regular Visitor

comcast uses stateless