Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

IPv6 question: /60 prefix delegation using TG1682G gateway?

Regular Visitor

IPv6 question: /60 prefix delegation using TG1682G gateway?

Is it possible to make the Xfinity TG1682G all-in-one gateway request an IPv6 delegated prefix of /60 rather than /64?

I understand, from reading other posts in this forum and elsewhere, that other people have received a /60 prefix by setting their routers to issue an appropriate "hint" for a /60 when connecting to the network, or by changing the router's DUID and/or MAC address. However, unless I'm missing something obvious, the TG1682G doesn't appear to have a setting to do any of these things. In addition, there doesn't appear to be a way to further subdivide the /64 we do receive into smaller blocks such as 16 x /68 (which would have the disadvantage of breaking SLAAC).

I hope I'm wrong about this. Does anyone here know whether it's possible to do any of these things on the TG1682G by means of some hidden or advanced setting in the router's administration screens?

Or, by somehow logging into the TG1682G using a text console?

Or, by manual intervention from a Comcast agent?

For the record, I know that putting the TG1682G into bridge mode and installing a third-party gateway is probably the Preferred Way™ way to do this. However, if there's a choice, I'd rather keep the TG1682G as a lone device for the sake of simplicity.