Community Forum

I'm trying to contact ComcastElla to upgrade the firmware on my Netgear C6300 Cable modem

Regular Visitor

I'm trying to contact ComcastElla to upgrade the firmware on my Netgear C6300 Cable modem

I have spent many hours on the phone with Xfinity and have been told they dont upgrade firmware on customers modems. Yet Netgear tells me that the ISP is the only one who can do the firmware upgrade. If anybody can tell me how to get help from Xfinity please let me know. There is no reason a customer should have to go thru this agravation.  I have gone up to level 3 support trying to get this fixed. With all the security issues with hacking and the FBI telling us all to update the firmware on our modems. You would think Xfinity would tell it's employees where to send it's customers who own their owm modems with firmware upgrade issues. Several of your employees told me to buy a new modem. So what happenes when it needs a firmwared upgrade Oh ya I'll just buy another!

Expert

Re: I'm trying to contact ComcastElla to upgrade the firmware on my Netgear C6300 Cable modem

@Richard20A wrote:

I have spent many hours on the phone with Xfinity and have been told they dont upgrade firmware on customers modems. Yet Netgear tells me that the ISP is the only one who can do the firmware upgrade.

FWIW, yep. The ISP is responsible for updating the firmware load whether a *gateway device* / cable modem is customer owned or not.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: I'm trying to contact ComcastElla to upgrade the firmware on my Netgear C6300 Cable modem

@Richard20A wrote:

I have spent many hours on the phone with Xfinity and have been told they dont upgrade firmware on customers modems. Yet Netgear tells me that the ISP is the only one who can do the firmware upgrade. 

Your modem's firmware is automatically updated by Comcast's headend, it's not something the phone reps can push anymore. What issue are you having that you care about the firmware?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Netgear released a new version for my firmware over 9 months ago that I know of and so far it hasnt been pushed out. Everyone at Comcsat tells me to buy another modem because they wont upgrade a customer owned modem. I have spent over 4 hours on the phone with their suppor departments. Either my call gets droped or they promise to call back and never do.

Expert

@Richard20A wrote:

Netgear released a new version for my firmware over 9 months ago that I know of and so far it hasnt been pushed out. Everyone at Comcsat tells me to buy another modem because they wont upgrade a customer owned modem....

Sorry, you got bad info from Comcast. @EG is 100% correct -- Comcast updates the firmware on both customer-owned devices and rented devices. 

What firmware is currently on your modem?

Regular Visitor

I have been told by every Comcast employee I have spoken with that I own my modem and there for I'm on my own. I agree that they have the responsibility to update all modems. I have spent over 4 hours trying to find someone to help me. My current firmware is V.01.07 Netgear released version V.01.26 to Comcast at least 9 months ago.
Regular Visitor

The problem is it is outdated. The FBI has told everyone to update their firmware on their modems to protect them from hacking.
Tags (1)
Official Employee

Hi, Richard20A - Thank you for posting in our community! We can't manually push firmware to the leased/customer's owned modems. However, I will try to reach the team that should be able to help. I received your private message and will reply back. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Richard20A - I received a reply from the engineering team. Per our records, you have a C6300DB model. It's different from C6300 and we don't support C6300DB, hence we can't update the firmware. By doing my own research, it seems like the C6300DB model should not be supported for retail customers in general. Did you purchase it directly from Netgear? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.