Community Forum

I have gigabit but most of my downloads are locked to 500 KB/s

New Poster

I have gigabit but most of my downloads are locked to 500 KB/s

I just got gigabit and this was the third time I had a tech come and check it out. Turns out the problem wasn't the connection or my device. On most of my downloads they get locked to a speed of 500 KB/s with an exception for Steam. I had every wire in my house checked out and swapped. I tried changing my DNS and it did not work. My only temporary solution was turning on a free VPN I found online which isn't very practical as it makes me lose 60% of my speed and is prone to shut off every now and then. Any tips?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: I have gigabit but most of my downloads are locked to 500 KB/s

@FairlyDE wrote:

I just got gigabit and this was the third time I had a tech come and check it out. Turns out the problem wasn't the connection or my device. On most of my downloads they get locked to a speed of 500 KB/s with an exception for Steam. I had every wire in my house checked out and swapped. I tried changing my DNS and it did not work. My only temporary solution was turning on a free VPN I found online which isn't very practical as it makes me lose 60% of my speed and is prone to shut off every now and then. Any tips?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

How are reading that speed ? Are you referring to the speed of a file transfer from the internet ? Is that KB (Kilobytes), Kb (Kilobits), or do you mean 500 Mb (Megabits) ?

What do you get here;

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am getting 500 Kilobytes per second. My download speed on the speedtest is 512 down and 40 up. I get 500 KB/s when I try to download things on most sites, I have ruled out that it is not a hardware issue though.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@FairlyDE wrote:

I am getting 500 Kilobytes per second. My download speed on the speedtest is 512 down and 40 up. I get 500 KB/s when I try to download things on most sites, I have ruled out that it is not a hardware issue though.

If that is an ethernet connection and not wifi, try this:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi there, FairlyDE. I wanted to touch base. Are yous till experiencing issues? 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I wanted to touch base one more time before closing out your post, FairlyDE. 

Did you have any other questions? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.