Community Forum

I have an internet and voice plan and don't want a home phone. Do I NEED a modem with a phone line?

New Poster

I have an internet and voice plan and don't want a home phone. Do I NEED a modem with a phone line?

I haven't activated my service because I haven't moved yet. I bought the Netgear CM1000 modem which does not come with a phone jack. Will my service still work just fine, or does Comcast demand I get a second modem and wire them together?

Expert

Re: I have an internet and voice plan and don't want a home phone. Do I NEED a modem with a phone li

Yeah. You would need a separate eMTA to be able to have your services. I would just buy an Arris TM822G from eBay. I heard it’s for ~$30

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: I have an internet and voice plan and don't want a home phone. Do I NEED a modem with a phone li

But they stated that they don't want the phone service ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

You have three choices:

1. Downgrade your plan to Internet only, activate the CM1000, and forget about the voice service. 
  2. Get a voice only modem to activate on your plan (as stated above, a TM822G will do - I used a TM722G for just that purpose)
  3. Do nothing, but eventually Comcast will send you an XB6 gateway to lease.