Community Forum

How to verify provisioning?

Contributor

How to verify provisioning?

I replaced my Arris XB6 (which was running in bridge mode) with a Netgear CM1150V today.  Activation via the portal went smoothly, and I have internet/voice services.  Running a speedtest gives me roughly 480/12, which is correct for my 400/10 service (with 20% overprovision).

The "bufferbloat" score looks fine during download, but not-so-great during upload.   When the XB6 was in place, I always saw an "A+" score on this.   Same router, same QOS settings.

Downstream channel bonding status is similar to the XB6:  There are 31 bonded channels plus the OFDM channel; all power levels are between 0 and -2 dBmV, all SNRs are between 38.2 and 39.7; I'm seeing all 0's in the correctables and uncorrectables.  ALL GOOD HERE.

Upstream channel bonding looks odd to me.  The XB6 showed 4 upstream channels.  The CM1150V is only showing (2) upstream channels locked.  Two others have frequencies listed, but aren't locked.  Here is the list:

Upstream Bonded Channels (Partial Service)
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 5 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 41.3 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 6 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 40.3 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 7 0 Ksym/sec 17300000 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 8 0 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

I called Xfinity and spoke to a rep there.  She said "everything looks good, modem is registered correctly and online".   I asked if it was normal to only have 2 upstream channels, and she didn't know, said maybe "wait a couple hours".   I pressed for a better answer, but she just kept repeating the same scripted answer.

I did find one other post here from another user saying he had CM1150V and 400/10 service, and his shows all 4 upstream channels locked (with same frequencies).

SO MY QUESTION IS....   How do I know how many upstream channels I *should* have?   At this point, I don't know if everything is correct, or there is a problem with how Xfinity provisioned the modem, or if there is a problem with the modem itself.   The upstream buffering performance is acceptable, but should be better (no reason it should be less than with the XB6).  The CM1150V is relatively new, so I haven't been able to find anyone else with same 400/10 service to compare numbers with.

Any help appreciated.

Expert

Re: How to verify provisioning?

A modem will lock on to however many channels are configured / available on the local system regardless of one's subscribed to speed tier / provisioning.

There isn't any way for an end customer or even a phone rep to know how many channels that a local system has configured. That is for the engineering dept. / headend techs to know.

The power levels are in spec but there are other upstream signal parameters that the modem can't read that are also important. There could be a noise ingress problem in the upstream channels / return path somewhere that can cause the un-bonding of channels.

Have you first tried powercycling / re-starting the modem ? No joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes help the modem to pull more / quieter channels.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@EG - Thank you for the info and analysis.

>> A modem will lock on to however many channels are configured / available

>> on the local system regardless of one's subscribed to speed tier / provisioning.

I know the XB6 always showed (4) upstream channels.  Not sure of the frequencies, but I assume that is from headend and would be the same for both modems?  The CM1150V implies there are 4 channels detected (shows frequencies for all 4), but does not lock the two lower frequency channels.

>>There could be a noise ingress problem in the upstream channels / return path

>> somewhere that can cause the un-bonding of channels.

I wondered about that, but I literally unplugged the XB6 and plugged the CM1150V into the same exact coax.  The XB6 always locked 4 channels, so maybe this points to a problem with the CM1150V?

>> Have you first tried powercycling / re-starting the modem ? No joy ?

>> Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults

I have power cycled multiple times, and it always comes up in same state -- downstream fine, but only (2) of the (4) upstream channels locked.  I will try a hard reset to factory defaults later today, and report back here with results.

Thanks for the help.

Expert

@scott123 wrote:

@EG - Thank you for the info and analysis.

I know the XB6 always showed (4) upstream channels.  Not sure of the frequencies, but I assume that is from headend and would be the same for both modems? 

Yes for the amount of channels, not necessarily for the frequencies.

The CM1150V implies there are 4 channels detected (shows frequencies for all 4), but does not lock the two lower frequency channels.

Without being locked, any other info shown is meaningless. Don't know why that is being shown. Likely some sort of glitch.

>>There could be a noise ingress problem in the upstream channels / return path

>> somewhere that can cause the un-bonding of channels.

I wondered about that, but I literally unplugged the XB6 and plugged the CM1150V into the same exact coax. 

Noise ingress could be anywhere / somewhere beyond your premises. Just throwing possibilites / facts out there.

The XB6 always locked 4 channels, so maybe this points to a problem with the CM1150V?

Could be.

>> Have you first tried powercycling / re-starting the modem ? No joy ?

>> Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults

I have power cycled multiple times, and it always comes up in same state -- downstream fine, but only (2) of the (4) upstream channels locked.  I will try a hard reset to factory defaults later today, and report back here with results.

O/k.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@scott123 wrote:

I will try a hard reset to factory defaults later today, and report back here with results.

There was a recent firmware update to the CM1150V to v2.02.03, make sure you have the correct version after the reset. 

Contributor

@EG wrote:

Noise ingress could be anywhere / somewhere beyond your premises. Just throwing possibilites / facts out there.

Understood, but my thinking was the XB6 was bonding all four.  I unplugged and replaced it in same location, same connection, so it should have same path, right?  Or would the new modem get some different electrical "path" to the headend?   I'm not understanding how interference/noise would have started coincident with me plugging in the new modem.

Contributor

@darkangelic wrote: 

There was a recent firmware update to the CM1150V to v2.02.03, make sure you have the correct version after the reset. 

Thanks -- Yes, mine is showing v2.02.03, so either it came out of the box with that or it was pushed during the first bootup on xfinity.   On the first startup, after coming online, the up/down LEDs alternated for a bit and then the modem rebooted.  I was wondering if perhaps that was a firmware update.

Expert

@scott123 wrote:

@darkangelic wrote: 

Thanks -- Yes, mine is showing v2.02.03, so either it came out of the box with that or it was pushed during the first bootup on xfinity.   On the first startup, after coming online, the up/down LEDs alternated for a bit and then the modem rebooted.  I was wondering if perhaps that was a firmware update.

Most likely, you'll see that in the Event Log if that was the case. 

Expert

@scott123 wrote:

I was wondering if perhaps that was a firmware update.

Yes. that is indicative of firmware being loaded in.

Expert

@scott123 wrote:

Or would the new modem get some different electrical "path" to the headend?   

The physical path thru the infrastructure / cable plant remains the same.

I'm not understanding how interference/noise would have started coincident with me plugging in the new modem.

Stuff happens. There is likely to be some distance between your modem and the headend. I'm throwning things out there for consideration. I don't have definitive answers for you, sorry. I'm just a fellow customer sitting behind my computer screen. I'm not *on site* with the proper tools. All I can do is speculate from this end. As stated, maybe the modem is malfunctioning ? Swap it out for a test if you are so inclined. Good luck !

Official Employee

Adding to @EG, it’s possible that your drop has had a high pass filter added at sometime for noise which would block those 2 upstream channels that you’re missing.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@EG - I did a factory defaults reset of the CM1150V via the recessed pinhole switch on back.  Confirmed it went to factory defaults, as the default password was again needed for modem login.

Same results as before.  Downstream looks great and voice looks great.  But for Upstream, (4) channels show a frequency but only (2) are locked.  And as before, the CM1150V's upstream LED is flashing, which the manual says means "partial service".   

Upstream Bonded Channels (Partial Service)
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 5 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 41.3 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 6 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 40.3 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 7 0 Ksym/sec 17300000 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 8 0 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Logs contain a" B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries Exceeded" message, maybe that is related to the upstream channels?   The T3/T4 sequence repeats several more times. 

Thu Mar 28 08:55:59 2019 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu Mar 28 08:55:19 2019 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu Mar 28 08:54:40 2019 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu Mar 28 08:53:40 2019 Warning (5) REG-RSP-MP Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu Mar 28 08:53:30 2019 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Time Not Established Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
Time Not Established Warning (5) B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:5f:86:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Not sure what I should do next.  I suppose I could get another CM1150V, swap it in and provision it, see what it does with upstream.  That should eliminate a "defective CM1150V" as the possible cause.  

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Adding to @EG, it’s possible that your drop has had a high pass filter added at sometime for noise which would block those 2 upstream channels that you’re missing.

But he stated that he get's all four when he swaps for the other modem Andrew ?

To be clear, the XB6 was definitely bonding 4 upstream channels...   However, I don't recall if the frequencies were the same as those the CM1150V is trying to use.   

****  EDIT ****    I found a screen snapshot that I took from the XB6.  It was indeed bonding those same 23700000 and 17300000 channels.   So I think that rules out a filter block.   What's left, a bad CM1150V or ????

XB6 Upstream Channels.jpg

Expert

@scott123 wrote:

What's left, a bad CM1150V or ????

Again, maybe....

Contributor

Just to verify that nothing had changed with my drop...

1. I disconnected the CM1150V, and reconnected the XB6.  It successfully locked all 4 upstream channels, same frequencies as shown in the screenshot I posted (see previous message).
  2. I then disconnected the XB6, and reconnected the CM1150V.  Again, it bonds only (2) upstream channels.  It shows the correct frequencies for the remaining two (17300000 and 23700000), but does not lock them.  

So I'm pretty sure the problem is NOT the drop/wiring, since the XB6 is able to lock those frequencies. 

It could be a bad CM1150V. 

Could it also still be some kind of provisioning error?  

Anything else I can check?

Expert

No. Again. It's not provisioning. Please re-read an earlier post of mine about it.

Contributor

@EG wrote:
No. Again. It's not provisioning. Please re-read an earlier post of mine about it.

I do recall you said it would lock onto whatever is available regardless of provisioning.  But I'm not an expert here, so don't know the context of all the answers provided.  I wanted to double-check to verify that I understood that correctly, and there isn't some other aspect of the process that would override / prevent the modem from using all available channels.

The XB6 locks them, so they are apparently available and "lockable" for lack of a better word.   The CM1150V, attached to the same coax end, does not.

So aside from a bad CM1150V...  What else can you think of that might prevent the CM1150V from locking them?  What else can you suggest that I check?  You have any advice?

Contributor

Update....   

I procured a second CM1150V.   It behaves exactly the same way as the first.  All downstream channels are fine (good power levels and SNR), but it will only lock (2) of the (4) Upstream channels.  The (2) that do lock report upstream power levels of 40-41 dBmV.  The (2) that don't lock list frequencies of 17300000Hz and 23700000Hz.   There is also a constant stream (every 20-30 seconds) of T3 and T4 timeouts in the log, over and over and over.  But for whatever reason, the modem is NOT rebooting itself even after dozens of T3/T4 errors.

The XB6 continues to be able to lock all (4) upstream channels on the exact same connection.  This includes channels at 17300000Hz and 23700000Hz.

So....   Perhaps its an issue with the recent CM1150V firmware (v2.02.03).  Or perhaps there is line noise that the XB6 is able to overcome but the CM1150V cannot.  No idea what to try next.

I'd be perfectly happy renting a MODEM from Xfinity.  But the XB6 insists on broadcasting multiple hidden networks (even in Bridge mode), and since it's last firmware update has to be factory reset and setup from scratch after every power loss or reboot.   

Official Employee

Hi there, scott123. Thanks for posting. I see you've received some great help here within the community. I haven't heard of our leased XB6 modems needing to be factory reset and/or setup from scratch after a power loss or reboot. If that were the case, it would usually be part of our known issues by now. For clarification - is your overall concern the hidden networks you mentioned? Also, I can check the area that supplies service to your home to ensure everything looks good on that front, if you'd like. Let me know. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Hi there, scott123. Thanks for posting. I see you've received some great help here within the community. I haven't heard of our leased XB6 modems needing to be factory reset and/or setup from scratch after a power loss or reboot. If that were the case, it would usually be part of our known issues by now. For clarification - is your overall concern the hidden networks you mentioned? Also, I can check the area that supplies service to your home to ensure everything looks good on that front, if you'd like. Let me know. 

The XB6 (in bridge mode) initially provided stable internet/voice.  I did NOT like the extra hidden networks, as I don't use them (no Xfinity Home, hotspot disabled, etc) and I want those frequencies available for other uses, such as media bridge. 

Bigger problems began when the XB6 rebooted at precisely 4:00am on 3-1-2019.   I assume this was a firmware update (displays TG3482_3.3p16s1_PROD_sey).   After that event, any time the XB6 was disconnected or rebooted, it entered an unknown state --- an attached device (router or PC) could not obtain an IP, nor did the XB6 reply at 10.0.0.1 address.    The only way to regain control was to Factory Reset it, setup the ssids/passwords, then change to Bridge mode again.  After that, it would function fine again (except for all the frequency pollution) until the next time it lost power or spontaneously decided to reboot.

So it was a combination of functional problems AND design issues (the extra hidden networks), coupled with not needing a Gateway device, that drove me to replace the XB6 with a Netgear CM1150V.    I do NOT want a Gateway device.

The CM1150V (two different units tried) only locks (2) upstream channels, and gets continuous T3/T4 timeouts at roughly 30 second intervals.   

I also tested an Arris SBV3202.  It could only lock (2) upstream channels, and got continous T3/T4 timeouts.

Before getting the XB6, I had a Xfinity-owned Arris TM722G.  It could only lock (2) upstream channels, and got frequent T3/T4 timeouts.

All of the above seems to imply some kind of upstream signal problem with the 23.7MHz and 17.3MHz channels (other upstream and all downstream signals look great).  However, the Arris XB6 says it is locking all (4) channels, including 23.7 and 17.3MHz.  Perhaps the XB6 has better radios than the CM1150V, TM722G, and SBV3202.   But all of these models are approved and should not be getting continous T3/T4 errors, nor should they have problems locking all 4 upstream channels.

I have installed a splitter and have BOTH the XB6 and CM1150V running.  The CM1150V is activated for voice and data, and is in use by my network; the XB6 is connected to CMTS but not activated (and I don't want it activated).   I would greatly appreciate if someone could check upstream signals/logs at the CMTS and help diagnose why the XB6 says it can lock 4 upstream, but none of the others (two different CM1150V, SBV3202, TM722G) can.

Official Employee

I can check the health of the node that supplies service to your home and I can review various modem history and diagnostics on this end. In order to do that, please send me a private message with your name so we can get started.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you. 

Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

I can check the health of the node that supplies service to your home and I can review various modem history and diagnostics on this end. In order to do that, please send me a private message with your name so we can get started.

That would be great, thank you.  PM sent!

Contributor

Wanted to follow up here with the solution, to complete the thread.

@ComcastMorgan checked upstream levels and logs, saw some problems, and arranged for a field tech to visit.  The tech found a noise block filter at the pole, something @ComcastAndrew  suggested earlier in this thread.

I had assumed there couldn't be a block filter causing the problem, as the XB6 *said* it was locking all (4) upstream channels.  But every other modem (two Netgear CM1150V units, an Arris SBV3202, and an Arris TM722G) was unable to lock (2) of the channels (17.3MHz and 23.7MHz).   I don't know how the XB6 could have actually been locking those channels with the filter there, despite what it's status page said.

In any case...  The Netgear CM1150V is now locking all (4) upstream channels and I am seeing "smoother" upload traffic (there were odd intermittent delays in upload speed before).

Thanks for the help!

Official Employee

Thanks, scott123 for posting an update on the progress and current standing with modem levels and connectivity. It definitely helps the community and could be useful to others at some point going forward. It has been a pleasure working with you along the way, you've been great. You're welcome to respond to my most recent PM if there is anything else I can take care of for you. Thank you!!

Official Employee

Thanks for taking the time to work with us Scott. I'm happy that your connection has improved after having a technician out and swapping your modem. We will be here if you need further support later. We appreciate you being part of Comcast, take care.