Community Forum

How to turn off SSID broadcast on CISCO modem/router?

New Poster

How to turn off SSID broadcast on CISCO modem/router?

How do you turn off SSID to prevent broadcasting from the CISCO modem/router supplied by Comcast?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How to turn off SSID broadcast on CISCO modem/router?

@robij wrote:

How do you turn off SSID to prevent broadcasting from the CISCO modem/router supplied by Comcast?

Are you saying you want to turn off wifi?  What is the model number of the Cisco?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi there, robij. 

Do you have the Xfi app? 

Here is a link for you. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode\

Let me know if you have any questions. 

EDIT: As per EG stated, this will disable features

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

FWIW, be advised that doing that does more than just turn off the WiFi broadcast / SSID. It puts the gateway device in to bridge mode which will make it behave like a plain vanilla cable modem (no WiF and  no ethernet routing). You would need to use a stand-alone router connected to it for the routing function.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Oh my apologies! 

I meant to post a link that shows how to not broadcast the name of the wifi network.

That is also done through the Xfi App by selecting "Edit Wifi" towards the top of the app. From there you can toggle broadcasting. 

Don't want you to be without the internet!

Nice catch EG! I knew I liked ya!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

No worries Martin !!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I am now closing this post out due to inactivity. 

Thank you for posting to our forums!