Community Forum

How to disable Xfinity WiFi hotspot on your modem

Frequent Visitor

How to disable Xfinity WiFi hotspot on your modem

For those of you who don't want Xfinity sending out a second WiFi signal from your modem for the general public to use, here is how to disable it.

1) Log into your account at comcast.net

2) Choose "My Account" from the top row

3) Then Choose "User & Preferrences" on the next page

4) Next, under "Service Adress", click on the link "Manage XFINITY WiFi"

5) A window pops up giving you a choice to disable it, choose disable and save.

And you are now no longer broadcasting a second public wifi signal for xfinity.  Enjoy.

Expert

Re: How to disable XFINITY WiFi hotspot on your modem

FWIW, seen many posts here indicating that if one needs to reset their gateway device, the hotspot gets re-enabled. Also happens if CC employees remotely reset it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

I'm not really sure why it matters, but I guess some people will always be overparanoid. It's an entirely seperate network, that requires the users to enter their comcast email address and password, so if they do bad stuff it's tied to them, not you. They also cannot access your other computers on the home network, and with internet speeds climbing ever higher (blast now 105 megs down in most areas) they are using less and less of your bandwidth so it won't slow you down.

Thanks though for telling me what that link did, I only have a non-wireless modem so the link does nothing for me.

Regular Contributor

I've been following this thread for weeks and the solution by Gus68 at message 1 is the first one that worked for me. Also look at EG's advisory at message 2 about re-enabling.

New Poster

Service Address does not appear under Users and Preferences. The Q&A says to select Manage WiFi. It also does not appear. I called 800-Xfinity and have been transferred all around. No one seems to be knowledgable enough to help.

What do I do to disable my hotspot?

Regular Contributor

After you click on "users and preferences" LOOK AROUND. Tha address you're looking for should be the street addrress of your house where the router is located. The link to "manage wi fi" is just under the address. If you get a message that something unexpected caused a failure keep coming back and trying again. It took me several tries. When I finally got it disabled I've never gotten through again to re-enable but so what? Don't feel bad about not finding the address. It took me a while to figure it out.

New Poster

Here is what I found out. What is not clear in the articles is that hot spots can only be made on Comcast provided routers. If you have your own router, then it can not be turned into a hotspot. That is my situation.  Thanks for your help!

New Poster

Maybe I'm missing something but the window that pops up does not give the option of disabling the second WIFI signal.  All is does is tell me the "wonderful benefits" of being part of the free WIFI net.

Regular Contributor

It sounds like you're in My Services & Equipment which does indeed have a blurb titled Understand Infinity Wi Fi. This is not where you want to be. After clicking Users and Preferences look for User Name which will be you and near that will be Service Address which will be the street address where the modem is located. Under that is the link to disable.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply but no, it's like everyone else that has posted in this forum.  This is the message in the popup window.  There is no link to turn this off.

The only link under the service address is: manage your wifi and then this message.

There's a lot to love about XFINITY WiFi:

• Access to thousands of hotspots around town and the country
  • Surf, stream, and download at WiFi speeds while on-the-go
  • Conserve usage on your wireless data plan

To find a hotspot near you or to download the XFINITY WiFi app, visit xfinity.com/wifi.

Regular Visitor

I tried doing as suggested for the past week.  All I get is an error message telling me "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."  Is there another way to disable the public wifi?  I'm not at all comfortable with the possible security issues.

Expert

MajesticMJ12 wrote:

I tried doing as suggested for the past week.  All I get is an error message telling me "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."  Is there another way to disable the public wifi?  I'm not at all comfortable with the possible security issues.

Try again but use a different browser.... I had that exact same issue for 3 weeks.... changed the browser and it worked first time...    there are so many nuances with browsers, add-ons, pop-up stoppers, etc that its hard to state which browser works...  just try a different one!

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Gus68 wrote:

For those of you who don't want XFINITY sneakily sending out a second WiFi signal from your modem for the general public to use, here is how to disable it.

1) Log into your account at comcast.net

2) Choose "My Account" from the top row

3) Then Choose "User & Preferrences" on the next page

4) Next, under "Service Adress", click on the link "Manage XFINITY WiFi"

5) A window pops up giving you a choice to disable it, choose disable and save.

And you are now no longer broadcasting a second public wifi signal for xfinity.  Enjoy.

Nope, doesn't happen. I've tried dozens of times doing exactly what you suggest. Every time what comes up is the message below (nothing about disabling or enabling). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot to love about XFINITY WiFi:

To find a hotspot near you or to download the XFINITY WiFi app, visit xfinity.com/wifi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find really odd is that while about 95% of the messages about the hotspot are complaining about it and trying to get rid of it, I don't have a home hotspot and wondered why I don't. (I've been on Comcast only two weeks.) My next-door neighbor has one and I assumed that my installation would have one without my even asking for it. I understand the concerns that users in this forum have about it, but I can see the value of having Comcast hotspots everywhere and wouldn't mind having one on my gateway.

Contributor

I'd like to just add I tried tonight and got the same pop up as others said. I followed the insturctions to a T, went under my street address and the popup was advirtising Xfinity wifi with no option to turn it off, and t he same message as the previous poster.

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Not to beat this subject to death but what Gus68 posted really did work for me. But ever since then when i click "manage wifi" this message appears- "we're sorrry something unexpected happened. Please try again later". Xfinity WiFi has disappeared from my list of SSID's so Gus was right.

Contributor

I wonder why only some people get it and others don't? I've been trying this and consistantly get that other message about public xfinity hotspots.

This is really annoying, as I'ved confirmed its the comcast wifi stuff thats screwing up my entire household wifi

Regular Visitor

Comcast?  Screw up?  What a concept.  Better get used to it like the rest of us, it doesn't get any better!!

Contributor

Considering comcast charges me  over 300$ a month, lets hope I dont have to get use to such poor and non functioning service.

Regular Contributor

Since i'm a resident of an assited living facility the possibility of abuse of a hot spot isn't an issue. So just out of pure curiosoty i tried re-enabling wifi. Here's the bad news: when you click "manage wifi" the odds are about 50 to 1 that you're going to get an error message. Comcast at it's finest. I also endured the frustration of a self installation kit supplied by them. Attempts at telephone support were dismal. I eventually suceeded but it was due to my own efforts, no thanks to Comcast. The end of this sad tale is that you really can turn the hotspot on or off but only with determined effort.

Regular Visitor

It matters when two kids are sitting on your front lawn for hours surfing the web.  I could go out there and run them off, but then I'm the bad guy,  Turning it off is easy and they really don't know what happened.....

Regular Visitor

Just tried to turn off Xfinity WiFi under service address and got this:

XFINITY WiFi

We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later.

It appears Comcast does not want us to do this after all.......

Regular Contributor

The good news is that you're at the right place getting exactly the same message i did. The bad news is that literally days of effort may be required. Keep trying- eventually you'll get an option to disable.

Frequent Visitor

Gus, I did everything you said, the window popped up but there was no option to disable the hotspot. The only thing there was a link about how to find a hotspot.

Regular Visitor

Unfortunate but true.  They charge outrageous prices because they know no one else (in this area at least) cannot compete with their internet speed, and they offer the most pathetic lack of customer service I've ever seen.  If there were another option, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  Instead I have to troll support forums to try to figure out how to fix their problems.

New Poster

This did work for me eventually. I had the same 'unexpected error' message and just kept trying. took about 10 reloads. 

Regular Visitor

It eventually worked for me as well but only after a couple weeks of frustration!!

Regular Contributor

OK gang here's the answer to the multiple efforts with "manage wifi". Try a different browser. I was using Yahoo with inconsistent results, switched to MSM.com and got the disable option on the first try.

Valued Contributor

Well, I hate to constantly pile on to Comcast (thought they deserve it) but I disabled mine 2-3 weeks ago. The annoying flashing light stopped. I'm 100% CERTAIN that I disabled it correctly. Guess what? 2 days ago the WiFi light started flashing again and I can't get to it again to check that it's still disabled because it's telling me to "come back later" and try it. I hate to sound like a nut, but I'm starting to seriously think that Comcast enabled it again. I'm..I'll say this nicely....ANGRY. There is no reason for that to be flashing again all of the sudden. I live alone, nobody has touched it, yet it's flashing again. And coincidentally, I (we) can't get to the place we need to go to check it because it says to check back later. How convenient. (for Comcast) This is just ANOTHER reason I'm fed up. "we're sorry, something unexpected happened. Please try again later". I wish I could believe that. "Unexpected" smells fishy to me. Intentionally vague maybe?

Regular Contributor

Take a look back at EG's post at message 2 of this thread. For what it's  worth my first effort sucess with a different browser was a fluke- i can't do it again no matter how many tries.

New Poster

As an FYI, I had a comcast repair technician to my home Jul 3. My wifi signal download speed was less than half of what my plan is...and I've had it for over a year without significant problems...and using the same computer. The phone support was unable to solve this so they sent the repairman out. He was stumped and spent over an hour calling comcast departments to try to find out what this "xfinitywifi" signal was from my modem. Apparantly the comcast employees have not been told or instructed on this at all. The bottom line is this. There is only 1 type of comcast modem that can broadcast 2 signals. It is the one they use for Home Security packages and is a huge box. The one I have, as is the most common one, is mechanically incapable of sending 2 signals. The xfinitywifi "hotspot" broadcasting from my modem is actually using the single wifi signal broadcast into my home..yes the one I am paying for. Now comcast will claim that only the "leftover" bandwidth will be available for the xfinitywifi public access from the modem. That is actually either not possible (as my repair technician and several others he called eluded) or not working at all. My severely decreased download speeds on my wifi are still continuing because no one knows what is going on, or how to fix it. Why is comcast telling us, there are 2 signals being broadcast and will in no way affect what we are paying for? This is simply not true. If the modem is only capable of broadcasting 1 wifi signal.

Expert

FWIW and AFAIK, any and all of their supplied combo modem / router gateway devices are capable of broadcasting the Xfinity public WiFi hotspot.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

FWIW I lived in an apartment complex with many Comcast users. About a month or so ago Comcast encouraged me to get their Technicolor combo moden/router without giving me a clue as to their motive.  After hearing about this from other people I checked and noticed there was a xfinity hotspot showing up and I assumed it was me.

The whole deceptive way Comcast went about this ticked me off so I went into a chat session with them, told them I wanted it disabled and was assured they disabled it, but  it was still showing up as a wifi choice. I tried to go into my router settings by going to http://10.0.0.1 but the screen said the settings were not available. Apparently this happened as a result of them "disabling" my hotspot.  I contacted Comcast and they told me to reset my modem and an above poster said that will restore me as a hotspot as well.

I then looked at my wifi analyser app and discovered there were four nearby xfinity hotspots showing and I doubt any of them are me.  As I walk closer to my router my home network gets much stronger and all the xfinity hotspots get weaker (though not weak) so I can only conclude they never activated mine. 

All this is very strange and very frustrating.  I wish Comcast could just be up front but they never are.

Valued Contributor

Sigmorta wrote:

As an FYI, I had a comcast repair technician to my home Jul 3. My wifi signal download speed was less than half of what my plan is...and I've had it for over a year without significant problems...and using the same computer. The phone support was unable to solve this so they sent the repairman out. He was stumped and spent over an hour calling comcast departments to try to find out what this "xfinitywifi" signal was from my modem. Apparantly the comcast employees have not been told or instructed on this at all. The bottom line is this. There is only 1 type of comcast modem that can broadcast 2 signals. It is the one they use for Home Security packages and is a huge box. The one I have, as is the most common one, is mechanically incapable of sending 2 signals. The xfinitywifi "hotspot" broadcasting from my modem is actually using the single wifi signal broadcast into my home..yes the one I am paying for. Now comcast will claim that only the "leftover" bandwidth will be available for the xfinitywifi public access from the modem. That is actually either not possible (as my repair technician and several others he called eluded) or not working at all. My severely decreased download speeds on my wifi are still continuing because no one knows what is going on, or how to fix it. Why is comcast telling us, there are 2 signals being broadcast and will in no way affect what we are paying for? This is simply not true. If the modem is only capable of broadcasting 1 wifi signal.

I suspected something like that all along. And quite frankly, it makes me even more angry because after all of the HOURS spent with customer service on the phone trying to solve problems that weren't my fault.. (unrelated to this) ..and we all know how fun that is, AND the small fortune that I pay them every month Frankly, I don't want to help THEM with this WiFi hotspot BS. Not to mention, where I have my modem sitting, it's ANNOYING having a WIFi light constantly flashing. Why should I have to cover a light with a piece of tape or something?! Now I can't even get to the place to check if WiFi was turned back on because according to Comcast, "something unexpected happened"..so "please try again later". GRRR!! Comcast: "We don't care, because we don't have to..we're HUGE".....If it isn't one thing it's another..... (I know this won't help anything but it makes me feel better for a minute!) I feel like I'm being conned....taken advantage of. It's not security I'm concerned about, just the idea of this and a lot of other things they do. I'm fed up... Edit: I thought I'd mention here that my experiences with the "cable guys"...the techs that have come to my home have always been great. But dealing with THE COMPANY.....that's another thing... I almost feel sorry for them because of the company's reputation

Regular Visitor

I totally agree with you on all points most especially your frustration level.  I realize security is probably one of the least of your concerns at this point, but I was advised by a computer expert that the type of setup Comcast has configured for this public wifi access plan may very well put Comcast customers' computers (as well as their personal information) at risk.  On that basis alone, I wouldn't take the chance.  Good luck.  I think I finally have my wifi disabled; my speed still has not improved however.

Valued Contributor

Well, as I said earlier...after opting out of the "Xfinity hotspot" a couple of weeks ago and having the light finally stop consistently flashing, it's been flashing for 3 days now and coincidentally (sarcasm) for 3 days now I can't access "Manage Xfinity Wi-Fi" because "something unexpected happened". But it says their "very sorry". (more sarcasm) That's a heck of a coincidence the way I see it. As I said earlier. When I WAS able to access it, I'm 100% certain I opted out correctly. Now I'm stuck with no option at all because of their "unexpected" problem. FIX THE PROBLEM. You can afford to.

This whole thing has me STEAMIN'! #1, how did I get opted back IN, and #2, why haven't they found and fixed their "unexpected" problem? (they can certainly afford to assign someone to fix this "unexpected" issue!) I live alone and NOBODY has touched my computer. How did this happen? It's bad enough that they have me by the B***S by having to use their service and pay as much as I do for it...but to be taken advantage of?..and in my opinion that's what they're doing....I'm peeved to say the least.

Regular Visitor

"Disable" is not an option.  Pop up window only gives info about the hotspots now.

Contributor

Do you have a combo router/modem or just a modem. If you only have a modem and not the combo there is nothing to worry about as Comcast isn't using your router, this only applies to the combo modem/routers.

New Poster

I personally find it offensive that Comcast would ship their routers with Xfinity broadcasting as the "opt out" option, without even telling us about it (BTW - former owners of my "new" router, all your computers and devices are belong to us, as they were listed in my devices menu. I deleted them fwiw).

After looking around for a while in the UI, I went to the internet and found lots of useless conjecture.

Following the directions in the FAQ did work, but I got the error message every time and had to disable my script/ad/tracking blockers one by one to get it to work. The script does not allow the window to load if even one analytic is blocked, it seems - another poor act on their part.

It is unclear, however, if this turns off the broadcasting of the SSID only, or if it actually turns off the radio. Does anyone know the answer to this? I want the entire signal stopped, not just the SSID.

SIde note - I saw several hotspots on their map down the street from me, but don't know if they are residential, or if they had to register to get on the  map, mine was not on it.

New Poster

John3758 wrote:

I'm not really sure why it matters, but I guess some people will always be overparanoid. It's an entirely seperate network, that requires the users to enter their comcast email address and password, so if they do bad stuff it's tied to them, not you. They also cannot access your other computers on the home network, and with internet speeds climbing ever higher (blast now 105 megs down in most areas) they are using less and less of your bandwidth so it won't slow you down.

Thanks though for telling me what that link did, I only have a non-wireless modem so the link does nothing for me.

while the traffic might be separate, someone using your router connection as an xfinity hotspot will likely cause your router to use more electrical power, thus a higher electricity bill.

is comcast cutting checks to its customers for a rise in their electricity costs because a random xfinity customer is using a random customer's router hotspot?

Regular Contributor

OK guys here's some new spin on this. Remember i was the one who first said I tried what Gus said and that worked. Then i said that the only way to get the disable option was multiple attempts. Now i've discovered that when the "we're sorry" error message appears if you go right back to the "manage wifi" link you'll get through on the second try. Soneone mentioned disabling script and ad blockers. Could this be related? I don't know. Also for those who care about such things Xfinity WiFi isn't the only extra signal. There's something called Other Network in there too. Looking at Xirrus WiFi Inspector with a scanner function Other Network is not disabled when Xfinity is. My attempts using another browser were a fluke too, That only worked one time. Someone questioned whether the WiFi signal was really cut off when the SSID was. According to the Xirrus scanner yes it is.

Regular Visitor

DPC3939 WiFi Keep Off

Is there a way to keep ALL WiFi turned off on a DPC3939 Cisco gateway?  Comcast went into the modem when it was first installed at our business and turned off all WiFi including the Xfinity hotspot.  A week later everything is back on.  Called Comcast and the rep said there is no way to keep the hotspot turn off permanently unless I log in weekly to manually turn it off!!  This is used at a police dept and we already have our own secure WiFi and don't need any more epically a free Hotspot for the public to access.. Any suggestions?  Thanks, Earl

New Poster

Re: DPC3939 WiFi Keep Off

I would also like the option to turn the 'guest' hotspot off or
at least secure it from public view.
New Poster
New Poster

it shows this now when the window finally pops up

XFINITY WiFi

There's a lot to love about xfinity wifi

To find a hotspot near you or to download the XFINITY WiFi app, visit (their website) 

New Poster

So, I get repeated messages on my cell phone that I 'NEED" to obtain and install this modem for my service to work properly. I dutifully did so only to find that Comcast is now freeloading on my electric bill.

DSL is looking better and better, I only went to cable for the gaming and I don't game much anymore.

New Poster

Re: DPC3939 WiFi Keep Off

I purchased my own Motorla comcast modem from Best Buy.    It does not have the xfinitywifi SSID on it.   And it is my understand because they down own it - they cannot upgrade it to their custom xfinity firmware and therefore cannot push the "xfinitywifi" SSID config to it.

New Poster

Over paranoia is not the problem. (Who are you and how did you find out about my paranoia?) Since my home network slows down frequently (.... buffering.....), I think I need what I'm paying too much not too get: full speed. Another glitch that occurs frequently now: my mobile device logs onto Xfinity automatically instead of my home network, and just as frequently happens when I use Xfinity in the city, I get the message "You are not connected to the internet."
Regular Visitor

At least I'm thinking I'm not so crazy about the lagging internet on too many occasions!  One more high quality Comcast service I suppose.

New Poster

Turning it off is not necessarily only for the paranoid. I get around 30 different WiFi networks at my desk and I live on the 7th floor. Having that extra network is no good to anyone, all it does is interfere with the existing networks.

New Poster

YUP.  I was hosting who knows how many users cause my wifi indicator was constantly flashing- naturally my devices were not connected.

I just called the wifi tech support people, who answer, who speak English, who are knowledgeable, and have access to at least this hotspot feature.  They turned it off, and within seconds my status light stopped flashing!  I got their number, 855-308-9454, after going thru three tech support people who kept referring me down the line.  Each time having to start from scratch describing my identity and what my problem was.

I use firefox, and could never get the nice little administrable opt-out popup.

BTW, this is the third modem for me.  The first one installed was replaced when I was getting terrible telephone connections- the called party was dropping packets back to me.  They also found a leaking coax connector, but it was not the show stopper according to the tech reading his nifty meter that measured upstream and downstream signals.

Took days to get everything back and all services working again calling the worthless support techs who can't speak English.

The 2nd one which I am still using, has corrupted firmware/memory and won't let me display current connections.  I know I have done power cycles, resets, etc.  All I wanted to do is mac address screening to allow only my devices to connect.  I refuse to keep administering my mac addresses only to have them corrupt the administrative page.  The third one was not connected, cause they can't tell me if this new modem firmware will fix the problem.  I just put it back in the box, turned it upright, and it now serves as a pedestal for the 2nd modem- it did improve my signal going upstairs.

I like others think that Comcast is using my electricity to support their business.  The feature should be turned off by default, and only adminstrable by me, the customer.