Community Forum

How to disable Xfinity WiFi hotspot on your modem

Regular Visitor

Re: How to disable XFINITY WiFi hotspot on your modem

WOW!!!  There is a god of digital heaven!  I just was able to shut xfinity wifi OFF!!!  I used Internet Explorer 11 and after probably 20 times over the last couple of weeks, it worked.  The flasing light has stopped. 

Hopefully the kids that were sitting around my front yard hitch hiking a ride on my internet will head down the street......

New Poster

well did what ya said but when I went to manage wi-fi it takes me to a pop up tells me how to enjoy it and how to find spots but nothing to where I can disable it.?

XFINITY WiFi

There's a lot to love about XFINITY WiFi:

• Access to thousands of hotspots around town and the country
  • Surf, stream, and download at WiFi speeds while on-the-go
  • Conserve usage on your wireless data plan

To find a hotspot near you or to download the XFINITY WiFi app, visit xfinity.com/wifi.

New Poster

same here Smiley Sad

New Poster

yes we are all there but it no longer lets you the address to link dont go anywhere any more it is just a pop up...even tried to open link in new page and tab wont work Smiley Sad 

New Poster

If i try use my own router but still have the X1 modem w/ the built-in router, will it disable the hotspot permanently?  I just got the new modem a couple of weeks ago after CONSTANT harrassment about it without realizing this was a side-effect.  I've been trying unsuccessfully for about a week but today I received a letter from Comcast advertising the thousands of free hotspots (i.e. MINE) in town and I'm not having any of that.  I live next door to a dentist office that doesn't offer their own wifi, and I work from home through a VPN all day so I don't need any of that riff raff.  Any thoughts?

Regular Visitor

No your own router connected to the Comcast router will NOT fix the problem.  The Comcast router is the device throwing the signal and providing the access.  Your own router will provide your network with more security however because it is on a different IP address and should have some firewall properties.

If you can not access the control form the Comcast Web site, then call comcast directly.  They should be able to turn it off for you from the tech support center.

New Poster

Thank you  I did that, click on the "Manage XFINITY WiFiManage" and a window is trying to open.. loading... after a short while "a message ..sorry... please try again later". Close the window and click "Manage XFINITY WiFiManage" again and a window will open. I selected to disable hotspot wifi from there! not sure how long it'll stay that way but at least i got in. It's my first time. Good luck

Expert

@philiple wrote:

Thank you  I did that, click on the "Manage XFINITY WiFiManage" and a window is trying to open.. loading... after a short while "a message ..sorry... please try again later". Close the window and click "Manage XFINITY WiFiManage" again and a window will open. I selected to disable hotspot wifi from there! not sure how long it'll stay that way but at least i got in. It's my first time. Good luck

It will stay in thatr configuration until the next update is pushed down to the modem...  you will need to revisit the site and turn it back off at that time.

=-Geek=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Hallelujah! Something i discovered after interminable floundering actually worked. That's exactly how i managed to install an infamous TG862 in the first place. Reading these forums and sharing the frustration of others at least made me feel a little better.

New Poster

It finally came up. 

I kept getting the error message (try again later, blah, blah, blah) 9 times....

After the 10th time, I hit OK, then refreshed the page, and hit 'manage wifi hotspot' again, and the window finally came up. It was already disabled, so I didn't have to change anything. 

HTH someone. 

Regular Visitor

A couple of friends of mine, who are telecom consultants, alerted me to this Xfinitywifi SSID when I got my new cable modem/router.  [I took it back and tried to get an old modem-only box but they wouldn't give me one.]

The friends/consultants take is that there is huge bandwidth arriving at your door via cable, and the extra SSID is using cable bandwidth that you are not using - so you shouldn't see any performance degradation even if two kids are sitting on your lawn watching movies.

In practice, my experience is that a busy electronics comms device gets queuing issues - those packets all come and go through the same piece of hardware, so you may see some delays.

While I am as irritated as everyone by the sneaky way Comcast did this, I can't see any security issues.  I do use the Xfinitywifi hotspots (and Cablewifi, and ATTwifi) when travelling, and I have to log in using my Comcast ID.  So I am going to let it alone until it causes some obvious problem.

New Poster

@MajesticMJ12 wrote:

I tried doing as suggested for the past week.  All I get is an error message telling me "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."  Is there another way to disable the public wifi?  I'm not at all comfortable with the possible security issues.

Exact same thing here, not over the past several weeks. I've tried accessing the 'Manage Xfinity WiFi' link under Service Address, but it's all been to no avail.

In fact the Comcast rep I talked to the other day, said there is no way to disable or prevent the new Xfinify Wi-Fi Hotspot from broadcasting public signals from my paid Triple-Play account.  She said the signals are for public use, not mine, therefore I cannot disable what is not mine. Funny thing is, if I refuse to pay my Triple-Play, my service will be terminated along with the Public WiFi Hotspot running out of my paid-account, so does it really belong to the public?  This is all very confusing, if not deceptive and may be just another rollout for the NSA's far-reaching data control, monitoring and survelance grid, except I'm being billed for it, with no opt-out:

----------------
XFINITY WiFi

We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later!

----------------

Frequent Visitor

Looks like Xfinity or Comcast or whatever else they want to rebrand themselves these days have caught on to the fact we figured out how to disable their xfinity wifi.  Now the only way to do it is call and talk to them over the phone.  Sorry folks, I know how much we look forward to our phone calls with comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Maybe if the Hotspot was totally anonymous then maybe. But when Im nickled and dimed for everything by Comast why do I want to share? Maybe I should get a credit for the monthly rental fee and what about power consumption? I can go on and on. What gives the right of Comcast to list the users Name and address for the hotspot if enabled. This is a major privacy issue. I get the Business hotspot but I dont get the private person equipment being a hotspot.

Look through the list and you ll see private people with thier Name and address, I know you can get that information anywhere but why is comcast making it easier.

http://hotspots.wifi.comcast.com/index.php?txtQuick=Jacksonville, Fl 322256&map=1&msPage=1

Regular Visitor

Quite frankly, I've been disgusted with the "service" I've received from Comcast or whatever they call themselves for years.  Unfortunately no one else compatible internet speed where I live.  But this hotspot issue is beyond ridiculous.  Perhaps if they had bothered to inform customers prior to taking action, it would have at least lessened the blow.  I now have a Comcast-compatible modem and router on its way so I will no longer have to deal with it.  They can have their equipment back which no longer gives them ANY excuse for utilizing my home and the things I use daily as a source of providing services for their brand such as it is.

Frequent Visitor

I like others who replied to your posting, had no end of trouble getting the "Manage XFINFITY WiFi" to actually work, so I called customer service ... and they were able to "turn it off".

But FYI --- they didn't really turn it off ... what they did was no longer broadcast an SSID of xfinitywifi --- the signal is still being broadcast but it appears to NOT have an SSID at all (not actually sure of that as it could just not be broadcasting the SSID name itself).

Just thought I'd share.

New Poster

Having the same experience now 4 years later

New Poster

I have the same issues, and customer service representatives have been useless.   I'm escalating with TomK

Regular Visitor

These are excellent instructions and they worked for me after many tries and failures, many resets, many reboots, etc.  But I finally got access to that elusive "off button".  They say I've opted out.  But there's still an xfinitywifi signal and it's very strong and it's been a couple of days since opting out.  Since I live in a condo, how can I determine whether my router's second signal has really been turned off?

Frequent Visitor

If you can't get the 'Manage Xfinity Wifi' link to work, delete any cookies related to "xfinity" and try it again.

New Poster

After fighting with Comcast, three different phone calls and almost cancelling everything I have with them, I have DONE IT!  

go to your account

select user & preferences

look up your service address and underneath that it will say 

MANAGE your WIFI

you can then DISABLE your personal home hotspot!! 

yeah

and yes- this should get rid of the kids that are hanging out in my driveway and yard while I am at work and at night! 

hope that helps!

Regular Visitor

OMG!  I never even thought about that possibility.  I'm glad you got rid of them.  How DARE Comcast do this!  What a serious invasion of privacy!

Bronze Problem Solver

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, I created a thread regarding Hotspot issues. The thread is specifically designed to answer any questions  about the Hotspot feature as well as requests for renabling/disabling the Hotspot.

Because we already have a thread opened about the issue that can address multiple concerns/questions, I am going to close this thread down so that we don't have numerous threads on the issue.

If anyone has any questions about the Hotspot Feature, please go here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Xfinity-HotSpot-FAQs/td-p/2307497

Thank you!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Disable Wifi Hotspot

I've tried the various ways that are supposed to allow me to disable the WiFi hotspot  from my DCT3941T but I get "You will not be able to manage your XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature at this time because you do not have an eligible Wireless Gateway in your home." every time.

Additionally, I can ping the Gateway but I cannot access it via the IP address in a browser window.

Frequent Visitor

Unable to disable XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot

Sent a PM to Comcast POC from locked pinned post, but just sharing:

I have tried many times to disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot on my modem/router via the website on my own but get an error.  I have called support about a dozen times to finally be told it was a problem with the way my modem was provisioned and I had to get another one.  I recently did this and still having the same issue as the website doesn't recognize my modem and gives an error message of:  

"You will not be able to manage your XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature at this time because you do not have an eligible Wireless Gateway in your home."

Make & Model: SMC Networks smcd3gnv

(This was provided by Comcast)

This is very frustrating as I have not been able to reach anyone as of yet that has the ability to identify and resolve this issue.  Each and every call I get a different answer such as: It is a problem with our website, the feature is not working at the moment try again later, we have to do this on our end, the tools we have now dont work with this any longer and we have to use old tools to turn it off, it was the way your modem was provisioned and the last one was you have to return your modem and get a new one which I did.  Huge pain especially when you have to reconfigure all of your settings (port forwarding, security settings and what not).  What does someone have to do in order to get this resolved

hotspot.jpg
Highlighted
Official Employee

As noted on a related thread, you can enable or disable your XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature by logging into My Account and navigating to the relevant page: My Account > My Services > XFINITY Internet > Manage your home hotspot. See screenshots below.

My Account > My Services > XFINITY Internet:

My Account - My Services - Desktop Screenshot.jpg

Manage your home hotspot:

My Account - Home Hotspot Toggle.jpg

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Unable to Disable Wifi Hotspot

I like how you posted this 2 months ago, and Comcast still hasn't responded.

This is crud. They sent the device. This is on them to make it happen if I want to opt out.

New Poster

Re: Unable to disable XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot

This is more BS from Comcast. They "give us the option" to opt out, but provide equipment that is not eligible to opt out. That is not giving us, the consumer the freedom to opt out or not.

Once again, I'm fricking ticked at Comcast for more "upgrades that will improve your service" but screw you over even more.