Community Forum

How to connect xfinity internet with current Directv

New Poster

How to connect xfinity internet with current Directv

I have Directv and just dropped At&t internet to switch to xfinity internet due to incredibly slow At&t internet speeds in my area. I have been told by both At&t and xfinity that I can definitely have xfinity internet with Directv but I have no idea how to hook it up. The modem/router for xfinity connects via coax cable, but my Directv is utilizing the coax jack which is going into the wireless "bridge" that goes with Directv. Xfinity tech support told me I just need to put a coax splitter on the bridge and connect the modem to  the splitter but when I went to purchase the splitter, the tech guy told me you can't use a splitter on satellite setups.  I figured I could do this myself but would I be better off just spending the $70 to get a tech out here to do it? (xfinity told me that our house does have service running to the house from previous owners) Does anyone have any experience with this or can tell me if the splitter will work? Thank you!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: How to connect xfinity internet with current Directv

Nothing you described is how it actually works. You need a dedicated coax line for your modem. You can’t split a direct tv and Comcast feed. Do you know if you even have a live Comcast outside?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Well the xfinity tech support guy I spoke to checked my address and said yes I was good to go. He told me to put a splitter on my gateway thing (I think it's called a genie?) and just hook my new modem up to the splitter and that's it. I'm guessing I should just schedule a technician to come out.

New Poster

I just found a coax outlet/hookup in my sons room that isn't being used. Should I plug into that and see if it will work?

Diamond Problem Solver

It won’t, you need a live Comcast coax feed

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Well you are so super helpful! I will just call for a technican being that these forums are clearly not a friendly place to come for help. I hope you have a wonderful, cheerful day.

Diamond Problem Solver

Well you are so super helpful! I will just call for a technican being that these forums are clearly not a friendly place to come for help. I hope you have a wonderful, cheerful day.