Community Forum

How to connect a smart TV to Xfinity Hotspot?

New Poster

How to connect a smart TV to Xfinity Hotspot?

Hello,

How could I connect my TV (Vizio M55-d0) to an Xfinity Hotspot?

I don't have the router or modem in the house.

This smart TV goes with a tablet remote which doesn't permit to reach the TV Menu before being connected with WIFI.

I've read kind of the same question on this website but the explanation was way too complex for me and it was a different model of TV.

Please help me!!!! So frustating to have my first TV but just watching a black screen.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How to connect a smart TV to Xfinity Hotspot?

Emma75009 wrote:

Hello,

How could I connect my TV (Vizio M55-d0) to an Xfinity Hotspot?

I don't have the router or modem in the house.

This smart TV goes with a tablet remote which doesn't permit to reach the TV Menu before being connected with WIFI.

I've read kind of the same question on this website but the explanation was way too complex for me and it was a different model of TV.

Please help me!!!! So frustating to have my first TV but just watching a black screen.

Are you a Comcast/xfinity customer?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Are you talking about a *private* home network WiFi broadcast or an Xfinity *public* WiFi "hotspot" ?

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

If you don't have internet in the location with the T.V., while pairing the tablet remote, you should have an option to skip joining a Wi-Fi network.

https://youtu.be/aYqJcIJYirw - Direct link to the initial setup video.

Note at 0:33 - bottom left corner - "Skip" for joining a network.

New Poster

Hi everyone,

To answer to your questions:

To RobertWy --> Yes, we are Comcast/Xfinity customer, but the router is in another house (not close to that one).

To EG --> The TV is in a private house, we are actually connecting our phones and laptops to the Xfinity public Hotspot. That's one the same hotspot that I'd like to connect the SMART TV. We have an Xfinity account.

To Convince --> Thank you for the video, I can skip the wifi first by switching to Bluetooth to pair the remote BUT the next step is to connect to Wifi. So I can't really skip it ...

Expert

Emma75009 wrote:

To answer to your questions:

To EG --> The TV is in a private house, we are actually connecting our phones and laptops to the Xfinity public Hotspot. That's one the same hotspot that I'd like to connect the SMART TV. We have an Xfinity account.

AFAIK, Smart TV's can not be connected to their "public" WiFi hotspots.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Silver Problem Solver

It depends on the make of TV I believe and if it has a browser or some kind of method to enter the Comcast ID and password.

With mine I can select my neighbors xfinitywifi, which will issue an IP address. Then I can open the browser, which will automatically go to the log in page. When done it will prompt to download the secure cert. Since my TV can't actually download anything, I leave that, but at that stage the TV is connected.

Expert

Thanks as always for expanding Paraniod !

New Poster

what kind of TV/Model do you have that enables you to connect to Xfinity Hotspot?

I am looking at 2nd TV for another floor, and don't want to deal with routers, etc. 

thanks in advance. 

Silver Problem Solver

I connect all my SmartTV's to my router's wi-fi SSID.  Never have used the xfinitywifi SSID.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

Mine is an older Hisense, no idea if it works with newer models or other makes. As long as you have some kind of browser or method of entering your account details.

Also works with Fire TV boxes, even though at the time the Fire TV didn't have a browser. In December this year Fire TV introduced the Silk and Firefox browsers too, you'd have to try it and see. Of course the hotspot would have to be in range....

Regular Visitor

I guess the problem is with PUBLIC HOTSPOTS, not the usual home WiFi. The PUBLIC, on the streets and poles. ¿OK!
Official Employee

@eseve52 wrote:
I guess the problem is with PUBLIC HOTSPOTS, not the usual home WiFi. The PUBLIC, on the streets and poles. ¿OK!

Hotspots need to be logged into, smart TVs don't offer a way to log into a hotspot

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

Have the same problem. I am Comcast-Xfinity customer when am outside home, if available, can use Xfinity’s public hotspots in my phone, tab or iPod. BUT when I try to connect a SmartTv to a hotspot nearby the place I am (not my home) with my Comcast account, I CAN’T.
In this case Smart TV (Samsung) recognize Xifinity signal (will all IP, codes, numbers, etc.) but can not access to internet. As simple like that.
Official Employee

I know I was responding to your post just above, there answer is still the same, Smart TVs don’t offer a way to login into a hotspot like mobile devices can
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.