Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

How to connect USB external hard drive to SMC gateway

Regular Visitor

How to connect USB external hard drive to SMC gateway

I plugged my external hard drive into the USB host port on my new SMCD3GNV gateway, but was unable to find any way to access the drive.  Can anyone tell me how to implement this feature.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: How to connect USB external hard drive to SMC gateway

The USB port on the SMCD3GNV is inactive and "for future use" according to the Comcast provided manual.  The Comcast firmware load doesn't implement that feature.  Sorry.

All Replies
Expert

The USB port on the SMCD3GNV is inactive and "for future use" according to the Comcast provided manual.  The Comcast firmware load doesn't implement that feature.  Sorry.

Regular Visitor

Baric,

That explains it.  Thank you.  But where can I obtain the Comcast-provided manual that you mentioned in your post?  No documentation came with the gateway and I have not been able to locate the manual online.

Expert

Comcast has it online.  The link is at the bottom of most of the router pages as well from several places in the FAQ's.  

Here is a direct link:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....

Regular Visitor

Many thanks.  Now I have something to guide me.

New Poster

I just spoke with a Customer Support Rep and they will help you to do this but it is a "Premier Service" and wil it will cost more than $100.

I left Verizon Fios for the same arrogance now I will buy and intall and install myself a wireless router so that I can use my hd on my network before I pay these freaks a penny to do. 

And, I plan on dumping them as well, as soon a I can!

Winston

Expert

WinstonDodson wrote:

I just spoke with a Customer Support Rep and they will help you to do this but it is a "Premier Service" and wil it will cost more than $100.

Your realize you are replying to a post from 5 months ago, right?

"Do this" means what, exacty?  Enable the USB port on the gateway?  If so, that is completely untrue to my knowledge.  There is no firmware load I am aware of that will activate that port, and that's what it would take, a new firmware load on the gateway.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.  Perhaps you misunderstood the rep, or the rep was clueless and pawning you off to the pay support service.

New Poster

Is it possible to use a (USB to Ethernet adpater) from your Ext. hard drive and then use it to connect to one of open ports on the router? I have a Ext HD (US I would love to connect to my network. I'm thinking that all we might have to do is Map the Network location on each networked computer and everyone would have access to the Ext. HD. What do you all think? Is this possible?

Expert

The USB port on the Xfinity Wireless Gateways is disabled and "for future use" only.   And most usb to ethernet adapters are for network connectivity, not connecting USB hard drives.  So no, it's not possible.  If you have a external USB hard drive, then you need to host it somewhere that knows what to do with such a device, like your computer or one of the better consumer routers.

New Poster

Actually I just checked wth comcast now and they said they can help with this... but I have to:

-either pay a one time service charge of $79.99 for the one time troubleshooting OR

-buy the monthly plan for $9.99 on my account for the WiFi support package.

New Poster

Baric wrote:

Correction:

The USB ports are not completely inactive. They will not allow any communication with an external device, however, they are active.

What does this mean?

It means that althought you can not use them to connect an external device such as a printer or hard drive, they will provide power for charging a device like a phone or mp3 player. Just plug the USB cable in and connect your device.

New Poster

Baric wrote:

The USB port on the Xfinity Wireless Gateways is disabled and "for future use" only.   And most usb to ethernet adapters are for network connectivity, not connecting USB hard drives.  So no, it's not possible.  If you have a external USB hard drive, then you need to host it somewhere that knows what to do with such a device, like your computer or one of the better consumer routers.

I too, am a Network Professional. I am CCNA Certificate Trained, but I haven't taken my exam yet.

As I posted to an earlier comment, the USB ports are not completely disabled, but  can provied power. To use a better word, they are "Closed".

To open them, it would only be a simple matter for a Comcast Tech to remote into the device and "Open" them. In most layer 2 devices, ports are closed by default and have to be opened in order for someone to access them. Any Network Admin worth they're salt will close off all unused opened ports to prevent unauthorized access to the network.

This device is a multi-layer device, part Layer 3/Router and part Layer 2/Switch. The RJ-45 ports are on the Layer 3 level which mean they have to pass through the Router. This provides some protection against unauthorized access. The USB ports are most likely on the Layer 2 level which means are completely pass through hardware, (if open) and they would give someone the ability to gain access to the network even if the firewall was set to prevent anyone from accessing the network.

I still can't understand why they have don't provide the customer with a means to access these USB ports. I have a Cisco DPC3939 which has 2 USB ports for connecting a printer or NAS Device. I'm a little perturbed at the fact that Comcast is charging there customers that much money for a service that they can most likely do in the time it take them to put in the service order, with out even going on-site! I hate contacting Comcast over stuff like this. Most of their agents don't know the first thing about Networking and treat you like an idi*t when ever you call. It usually takes about 30 minutes before they realize that they can't help with the problem and send me to someone you might.

Expert

Three year old marked solved thread now being closed.