Community Forum

How to connect 2 separate locations in my house with a hard line?

New Poster

How to connect 2 separate locations in my house with a hard line?

Without getting hung up on the 'WHY' part of this question...suffice to say I need to have a hard line connection on both the 1st and 3rd floor of my house to a typical PC using ethernet. Comcast does not allow me to have 2 modems on the account without buying and paying for 2 different accounts. So that option is out. I also can't run hundreds of feet of Cat-5 through my house to connect the modem/router to the PC. I have tried TPLink devices to run the internet over the electrical outlets but the signal drops and is not an option either. 

My final thought is to transmit the internet signal from the modem wirelessly upstairs to a receiving router and then patch the router to the PC with ethernet. For the life of me, I can't seem to find out if this is even possible. Wifi extenders/boosters/etc all seem to focus on expanding wireless coverage and that is not my issue. I need to expand my hard line coverage to areas in which I can't run a hard line. So in theory, I would think I could beam the comcast signal to a router and expand that way. Is this possible? If so, how?

Expert

Re: How to connect 2 separate locations in my house with a hard line?

If there is coax cable between both floors / rooms, MoCA adapters may be a solution for you. They are superior to powerline adapters. Google them for more info.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

There is. I am seeing some MoCA devices require a router and some don't? Ideally, I would like to connect my coax to my modem/router as I currently have it. Then run ethernet from the modem/router to the adaptor, and then the adaptor to the coax jack. On the other end, can I just run the coax from the wall, to the other adaptor, and then from that adaptor to the device or do I need yet another router in between the adaptor and the device? It just needs to provide the connection to one device, so I would think a second router would not be needed. This sound about right?

Also, if my modem is an MG7550, is it possible it already has MoCA built in and I just need one adaptor? Trying to see if it has it, but I can't really tell.

Expert

@Customer042219 wrote:

There is. I am seeing some MoCA devices require a router and some don't?

You don't require a router. Get the kind that don't.

Ideally, I would like to connect my coax to my modem/router as I currently have it. Then run ethernet from the modem/router to the adaptor, and then the adaptor to the coax jack. On the other end, can I just run the coax from the wall, to the other adaptor,

Yes.

and then from that adaptor to the device or do I need yet another router in between the adaptor and the device?

No. Ethernet cable would go from that MoCA adapter to the ethernet jack of the desired device.

It just needs to provide the connection to one device, so I would think a second router would not be needed. This sound about right?

Right.

Also, if my modem is an MG7550, is it possible it already has MoCA built in and I just need one adaptor? Trying to see if it has it, but I can't really tell.

If it has MoCA capability built in, you may not need that first MoCA adapter. YMMV.

One other thing: If one isn't present, you may need a special MoCA capable coax cable splitter in the line between the 2 outlets if there is only a 5-1000 Mhz splitter present.

http://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0?tag=ds0233-20 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!