Community Forum

How to configure LAN for IPv6?

Contributor

How to configure LAN for IPv6?

Is there a doc anyone can point me to that tells me how to configure my LAN at home to run IPv6 with Comcast as my ISP?  I have an Arris SB6190 modem and Google Wifi router which both should work with IPv6.   Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Expert

Re: How to configure LAN for IPv6?

Question. As a test, do you get an IPv6 IP address assigned with a direct connection to the 6190 cable modem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

On all of the Asus routers I've used I've had to manually turn on IPV6. On the Asus I choose an option to set to "native" mode and enable. I have looked up the info for your router and the link is below:

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6361450?hl=en

But as EG asked are you getting IPV6 with a direct connection to the modem?

Contributor

Looks like from the attached IPv6 test results, I must be up running IPv6.  Yes?

What about my devices that show they have both an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address?  Which are they really using? v6 I assume?

Contributor

Yup, you have IPV6 but delete the picture as it shows your IP's!

Also some hardware doesn't yet have IPV6 support so your computer can do both so if a server or site you visit only has IPV4 then it will use that. Then there is 4 to 6 translation, which is a whole new bag which converts 4 to 6 as it sounds, lol.

Contributor

Thanks.  I deleted the picture.  Just to be clear, if a device, e.g. my Xbox One, says it has an IPv6 and and IPv4 address, it will use the IPv6 address which in theory from what I've read eliminates some of the NAT issues some games have.  Is that accurate? 

Contributor

Yup, it will use the IPV4 as a fallback otherwise like I said it hits a server or device that doesn't support IPV6. Smiley Happy

Expert

@kentmcpherson wrote:

Looks like from the attached IPv6 test results, I must be up running IPv6.  Yes?

Was that with the router, or just the modem ? I did not see the pic before you deleted it.

What about my devices that show they have both an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address?  

Most O/S's and apps are now "dual stack" capable.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@kentmcpherson wrote:

it will use the IPv6 address which in theory from what I've read eliminates some of the NAT issues some games have.  Is that accurate? 

Correct. NAT is not used or needed with IPv6.

Contributor

@EG wrote:

@kentmcpherson wrote:

Was that with the router, or just the modem ? I did not see the pic before you deleted it.

What about my devices that show they have both an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address?  

Most O/S's and apps are now "dual stack" capable.

I'm almost 100% positive he had it through the router as most routers turn on IPV6 by default. I have no idea why Asus doesn't?