Community Forum

How to Change 5GB Wifi Channel

Regular Visitor

How to Change 5GB Wifi Channel

I would like to change my 5GB channel on theTechnicolor gateway because it appears that I may be getting interference from other networks on on the same channel.  This is a list of 5GB networks using channel 44.  

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 7.41.09 AM.png

I am unable to change the channel within the xFi app, the xfninity.com/myxfi website, or within the modm at http://10.0.0.1/wireless_network_configuration.php

Expert

Re: How to Change 5GB Wifi Channel

Sorry, that is not allowed to be done on any xFi Gateways anymore. as far as I'm currently aware of.

The reason is becuase now Mesh Mode is an integral part of xFi and can not be disabled. It automatically manages those settings. Rebooting it might put it on a different channel automatically, it might not.

Are you noticing any significant problems over the 5 GHz wireless?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the information...

I have two pods located in the house and when I go from the first floor to the second floor I have to stop and start WiFi on the device.   This just recently started happening in the past couple of months. Looking at NetSpot WiFi analyzer I see four different SSID's on the 5GHz band all on channel 157, ( this does not include the two pods in the house).  I thought by changing the channel it might help when moving through the house from having to stop and start the WiFi process on the device.

I will try to reboot the gateway and see if the channel changes.

Silver Problem Solver

That's interesting. I can still change the channels on my XB6 manually, but then I'm not using Pods.

Expert

Yes, Pods will automatcially enable Mesh Mode as its required.

They've only recently started doing it as they're rolling it out regardless if you have Pods or not.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

Well that wouldn't be nice, I like to select the channel on 2.4 for some devices, lots of users around here. Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Greetings, cyoull! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear you are having issues with trying to change the channel of the 5 GHz network. I certainly understand making sure you're getting the most out of your wifi with less interference. As jweaver0312 had mentioned these channels are set up automatically and the only way to change it would be through the modem itself or we update the xFi portal to include this as an advanced feature. I would like to look further into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, cyoull. I have not heard back from you and hope you were able to get your issue resolved. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.