Community Forum

How many channels

New Poster

How many channels

Hello.  I am considering upgrading my modem to better take advantage of what is available for my internet, and I'm trying to figure out how many download/upload channels available to me but can't seem to figure that out.  Can anyone help me with that?

Thank you.

Expert

Re: How many channels

For the upstream, some local systems have 4, some still have only 3. 4 is the current physical max.

On the downstream, most systems now offer 31. YMMV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Call Comcast and ask if the gigabit internet is available at your location, and if they don't have that check for the 400Mb plan. If it is then more than likely you live in an area with 32x4. Most docsis 3.1 areas are 32x4 and then 1 or two channels ofdm channels. Right now I haven;'t seen any comcast areas with upstream docsis 3.1, only down. So get a docsis 3.1 for future proofing or if you don't want gig speeds amazon has a great deal on a refurbished docsis 3.0 arris 6190 (Puma 6 beware) for $50 which is a 32x8. But your modem will say it depending on how old it is, via the status page might be 192.168.100.1

Expert

@FifthE1ement wrote:

If it is then more than likely you live in an area with 32x4. Most docsis 3.1 areas are 32x4

FWIW, the max that I've seen is 31 DOCSIS 3.0 / 256 QAM channels, with the 32nd one as being reserved for the DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM / PLC channel for the gig speed tier.

and then 1 or two channels ofdm channels.

I have never yet seen a second downstream OFDM channel.

Right now I haven;'t seen any comcast areas with upstream docsis 3.1, only down. 

And you won't until the current available return path physical frequency spectrum / bandwidth limitation is enlarged.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I don't know why you felt the need to correct everything I said when nothing I said was wrong. But you are wrong on one count as in my neighborhood we have 32 channels down, plus another for odfm. I know because my previous modem was a Docsis 3.0 Arris 6190 and I would get all 32 channels fine. Also my current Sb8200 has 32 Docsis 3.0 channel and the odfm channel is 33.
Expert

@FifthE1ement wrote:
I don't know why you felt the need to correct everything I said when nothing I said was wrong. But you are wrong on one count as in my neighborhood we have 32 channels down, plus another for odfm. 

Sorry. I think that using the word "wrong" is incorrect. I'm not wrong with what I see on my local system. And most other's that I've seen posted here. Maybe your local system is one of the exceptions ?