Community Forum

How do you completely turn off WiFi?

Regular Visitor

How do you completely turn off WiFi?

I recieved my new modem today and activated it.  Unfortunately, the WiFi signal it is broadcasting is conflicting with my existing home WiFi system and I don't plan on replacing this system with the Xfinity modem.  I don't see a way to turn the radio off completely, only to block by device.  Can you a) completely disable the WiFi broadcast on my modem for me, or b) replace with a non-WiFi modem like I had before?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do you completely turn off WiFi?

If you have a Comcast gateway now, you should enable bridge mode and connect your router to port 1 on the gateway. (the other ports will be disabled).

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

The xfinitywifi hotspot will still broadcast and can be disabled in your account settings or by calling Comcast. As far as I know the gateway will continue to broadcast a hidden SSID for the Xfinity Home security service.

They only rent gateways these days, but you could look at buying your own retail device to save on the rental:

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

Be sure to check the box for phone service, if you have that.

Regular Visitor

Thanks Paraniod,

I followed the steps you outlined.  Here is the result.

Enabling bridge mode in my Comcast gateway only managed to hide the SSID's.  The radios in the Comcast gateway continued to broadcast and interfer with my home WiFi system.  I didn't note before, but I have the Extreme 150 product.  With only one of the WiFi systems broadcasting I would get my full 150mbps download speed.  With both WiFi systems broadcast I only got 10mbps downloads.

To resolve I purchased a Motorola MB7420 for $70 and have had it setup now for several days.  I now have a very solid 150mbps download over my home WiFi again. 

Setup was as easy as the Comcast gateway self-install and although this is a DOCSIS 3.0 16 X 4 cable modem it is definately more stable than the Comcast gateway it replaced (the newest DOCSIS 3.1 gateways they are shipping).  It's also $100 cheaper than the Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modems you can purchase.  Knowing that I won't need more speed than the Extreme 150 product offers for some time this was the perfect investment.

Kudos to you, Sir!

Silver Problem Solver

Oh well glad you got it sorted!