Community Forum

How do we know if a MoCA filter was previously installed in our shared cable box?

New Poster

How do we know if a MoCA filter was previously installed in our shared cable box?

As a condo resident with a shared cable box, I have no idea whether a MoCA filter was properly installed by the technician when we first started Comcast service a decade ago.

Although the Xfinity chat rep is stating that it is normal practice to intsall the MoCA filter, it is unknonwn when this practice started. 

They are saying "Please be rest assure if the technician is installed the cable box it means surely MOCA filter is installed in to the cable box."

Unfortunately, what is normal practice and what has actually occurred can vary widely, so I am unconvinced that the filter was actually installed.

Is there a way to confirm this information? The cable box downstairs is locked and I do not have any method of access. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: How do we know if a MoCA filter was previously installed in our shared cable box?

It wouldn’t be installed at the cable box but further out either the tap or ground block. What do you mean by shared box? What equipment do you personally have? Moca filters were introduced into the Comcast system around the time the X1 platform was released about 8 + years ago

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: How do we know if a MoCA filter was previously installed in our shared cable box?

@CCAndrew 

We do not have a cable box any longer and watch basic cable through the xfinity app on Roku. 

That is the only Comcast equipment we have at this point. The modem is my own, as is the router. 

New Poster

@CCAndrew 

And by "shared cable box," I mean the box downstairs that is located adjacent to our building (physically connected to the building) where the tech goes to "flip the switch," so-to-speak. 

Diamond Problem Solver

It should be in that box but if you don’t have equipment than it won’t affect you. If you had X1 boxes installed the tech would install one

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@CCAndrew 

I do not have a MoCA device yet, but I am planning on getting one this Black Friday due to poor performance with my Powerline setup. That's why I'm interested in making sure the filter is installed.

About two years ago, I had a X1 cable box (with DVR functionality), but had to remove it due to pricing going up. That's why we only have TV from the Xfinity App on Roku now. 

Prior to that, we had the older generation cable box (not the fancy X1).

However, even when we got the cable box initially, I don't recall a tech coming out. I did the home installation (if I recall correctly). I could be misremembering as we did have a tech come out before (years and years ago) for some reason--can't recall what it is! 

Do you know if there is a way to check our service history and see what the techs did on any visits? 

Diamond Problem Solver

Nope not after this long, but usually for self installs a separate job that you don’t necessarily know about is set up for a tech to install a filter. And now that your adding your own devices, if you need anything that’s going to be up to you to add to your network as it’s not Comcast equipment

New Poster

@CCAndrew 

I reached out to comcast on twitter and they said that in looking at my prior history (back when I did have a cable box and the x1 device) they never saw an order for a MoCA device. They said that now that I don't have x1 service, they can't send a tech out to install one. My question is then why wasn't installed in the first place when I did have that service? 

I know it's my equipment, and I am happy to buy the MoCA filter to install, but I just don't have access to the box where it would go. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Your personal condo unit’s connections “should” be fed from your unit itself but not always the case. Have you checked in your attic etc for any splitters, you may not need access?
As for why a job was created, it’ll remain a mystery, who know?

New Poster

You know, you could always install a MoCA filter before it hits your modem/gateway with zero ill effects to your network. About 10bucks, Amazon.