Community Forum

How do I turn my network completely off at night?

New Poster

How do I turn my network completely off at night?

How do I turn my network completely off at night?  Basically how do I set up a bedtime mode for the entire network?

Problem Solver

Re: How do I turn my network completely off at night?

Power switch on your router/modem might be the way.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
New Poster

Maybe I need to be a little clearer.  Yes, the power switch is an option.  However, I was looking for way to set up a schedule.  Bedtime mode and Parental controls are worthless when it comes to a determined teenager.  The find ways to change their MAC address or install a VPN that masks their computer from the network.  The VPN is how they getting around being banned from gaming sites.  My goal is to give access to get home work done and then shut the whole thing down automatcially and turn back on following a schedule.  Bascially a bedtime mode for the entire network.  My thought is then it wouldn't matter what my teen did there would be no Internet access at night when he is supposed to be asleep versus circumventing the bedtime restrictions and staying up until 5 am on a school day.

Highlighted
Contributor

You haven't provided enough information.  We don't know your hardware. If you have a separate router it might be as simple as removing the ethernet cable.  Or setting up a schedule in the router to block traffic, my router provides that option.

Expert

@Crossed2 wrote:

Maybe I need to be a little clearer.  Yes, the power switch is an option.  However, I was looking for way to set up a schedule.  Bedtime mode and Parental controls are worthless when it comes to a determined teenager.  The find ways to change their MAC address or install a VPN that masks their computer from the network.  The VPN is how they getting around being banned from gaming sites.  My goal is to give access to get home work done and then shut the whole thing down automatcially and turn back on following a schedule.  Bascially a bedtime mode for the entire network.  My thought is then it wouldn't matter what my teen did there would be no Internet access at night when he is supposed to be asleep versus circumventing the bedtime restrictions and staying up until 5 am on a school day.

If you are using a Comcast supplied gateway device, see this;

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/set-up-parental-controls-with-comcast-networki...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi/

Bear in mind that these gateway device user interfaces / features are not quite as granular as are third party retail devices.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!